PDA

View Full Version : Big game for former Giants

nivek_wahs
01-11-2008, 06:58 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ac494e89-d031-495a-85f9-5a0f7455dbd8

Big game for former Giants
With the national champs here, old pals are now the enemy

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, January 11, 2008

For J.D. Watt and Tim Kraus, there's no such thing as a friendly Giant.

Past allegiances will be set aside tonight at the Brandt Centre when Kraus and Watt lead the Regina Pats into a marquee clash with their old team, the Vancouver Giants. There will be no shortage of motivation for the 20-year-old WHL veterans, who were deemed expendable after helping Vancouver win last year's Memorial Cup.

Kraus was dealt to Regina while Watt landed with the Red Deer Rebels before a subsequent trade brought him to the Pats last week. Now the former linemates have been reunited on a team that has championship aspirations of its own.

The fact that their reunion tour begins against Vancouver adds even more spice to the storyline.

"It's easy to get up for games like this," offered Watt, who led the Giants last season in goals (34) and penalty minutes (182). "These are two teams that are probably going to be challenging in the very end (for a championship). We're really looking forward to the challenge."

Kraus, Regina's No. 1 centre, is itching to play after missing the past three games with an ear injury. He's expected to receive clearance to return tonight.

"I don't think we have any choice," joked GM Brent Parker.

Watt faced his old team earlier this season with Red Deer, but this will be Kraus's first look at the Giants as a member of the opposition. When he left Vancouver, it had been well established that Kraus didn't see eye to eye with head coach Don Hay, who sat him for the final two games of the Memorial Cup.

The 20-year-old centre admits he'll have some extra incentive tonight, but insists it's not about retribution.

"Obviously I saw it on the schedule and was waiting for the game but I'm not going out there to try to prove them wrong or tell them they're missing something that they should have had," he said.

"I was there for four years and I showed them what I bring. Obviously I'm not there to help their team this year. They shipped me out."

The same fate befell Watt, who also downplayed the suggestion that he'll skate onto the ice tonight with an extra chip on his shoulder. The volatile power forwards says he'll drop the mitts if the situation calls for it, but he won't run around looking for a dance partner.

As for the likelihood of a few verbal exchanges . . .

"That's the norm," he said with a laugh. "Every game someone is chirping (at him). That's always expected, especially against an old team. I'm sure they think they can get me off my game and take a couple penalties but it's not gonna happen."

For his part, Kraus is already excluding himself from any extracurricular discussion.

"I'm not one to be chirping a lot," he said. "Most of the guys I'm good friends with but if Don Hay sees them laughing with me during the game or whatever he's going to be down their throats in a heartbeat, so I don't expect any of that."

Kraus is far more concerned with being prepared to combat an elite opponent. Given his familiarity with the team, he'll have some advice to offer the Pats in that regard.

"They're a different style of team than what teams play out here," noted Kraus, who finished second on the Giants last season with 66 points in 70 games. "They're all forecheck and they're gonna run you in the corners and they're going to try to wear you down throughout the game. That's the biggest challenge for our guys and our defence. (The forwards) have to make sure we're coming back to help them. It's not going to take a special play to beat them because it's not going to be there very often. We're just going to have to grind one out."

Hay is quick to acknowledge his former pupils and their contributions to the organization. That said, he downplayed their presence as an area of focus.

"They were both very important to our success last year," he said.

"It's always hard to see players who played in championship games leave but we thought we needed to improve our hockey club. We're a team that really tries to focus on how we play and how we prepare. The focus will be on us and on the Regina Pats, not just two players."

It's no wonder that Watt speaks with such admiration about the manner in which Vancouver prepares for opponents. He knows the Pats are facing a huge test, especially given the fact they'll have six new trade acquisitions in the lineup.

"(The Giants) don't really win games with skill," added Watt. "They win games with work ethic. If we can do anything, it's work hard. If the chemistry doesn't come (right away) we can match their work ethic and we can win games that way."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008