PDA

View Full Version : Schira's first visit as a visitor

nivek_wahs
01-11-2008, 07:16 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=80627fc9-eeae-490c-ac5e-20fab5decf48

Schira's first visit as a visitor

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, January 11, 2008
Memo to the Vancouver Giants: Don't ask Craig Schira for directions.

The fact that the Brandt Centre was Schira's WHL home for over three seasons didn't preclude the 19-year-old defenceman from getting a little crossed up when he arrived at the old barn with his new team.

"We pulled up in the parking lot and saw a few of the guys walking in," offered Schira, a former standout with the Regina Pats. "It was a little weird seeing that and coming down the stairs and turning left (toward the visitor's bunker). I've never even really been in this dressing room before."

Still, there's no place like home.

Although he's doing his best to downplay it, Schira will experience another shock to his system tonight when he skates onto the ice for the first time as a member of the enemy.

"There probably will be some nerves," said the Spiritwood product. "It's going to be different going out a different gate and going the other way (for warm-ups) ... and seeing all the guys I played with in the jersey I used to wear. But I don't think it should take too long to get used to it. It's just another rink. It's familiar but I'm a Vancouver Giant now."

Schira was traded to Vancouver on Sept. 27 along with forward Mike Reich for centre Tim Kraus and defenceman Juraj Valach. Reich is now with the Saskatoon Blades while Valach ended up with the Red Deer Rebels.

The trade was initially devastating news for Schira, a heart and soul member of the Pats. However, he eventually settled in with the B.C. Division-leading Giants and now can't imagine being anywhere else.

"It has been awesome," he said. "Since Day 1 I've been trying to get used to the systems and get used to the way they play. I'm really fitting in well now and learning a lot. I think I'm developing really well. With the success we're having it has been quite an experience. Hopefully it keeps going like that."

Schira was regarded as Regina's top shutout defenceman, a role he has carried over to Vancouver. But he's also spreading his wings on the offensive end with 24 points, including a career-high seven goals, in 36 games. That includes a recent seven-game point streak (the best of his career) during which he had five goals and 11 points.

"I've just been keeping it simple," said Schira. "When the team is having success it's easier for you to have success personally. It's not something I've been focusing on. I've been playing my same old game that I usually play. Things are just going right for me."

Head coach Don Hay has been "pleasantly surprised" by Schira's offensive contributions, but that's not a huge area of focus. The veteran bench boss is more pleased with Schira's stellar defensive work and leadership skills.

"He has given us a real solid player back there who can play in all situations," said Hay. "With Jon Blum gone away to the world juniors, he stepped up and he really was very good on our power play. He kills penalties, he logs a regular shift, goes out against the other teams top players. We really feel that to be successful we need a good defensive hockey club and he really adds to that."

As for Schira's old team, he has been watching with interest during a recent splurge at the WHL trade deadline. Regina added six new faces while parting with six more, many of whom were Schira's ex-teammates.

"It's crazy," he said. "I swear half their team is gone. They're making a run for it and they're trying to get the best people that they can to do it. It has been interesting to watch."

Tonight's game is the only meeting of the regular season between Regina and Vancouver but Schira wouldn't mind hooking up with them again.

Perhaps in a WHL final.

"That would be awesome," he added with a smile. "Both teams are doing good so hopefully that's a possibility."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

Tadaa
01-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I wonder who will be the first Regina Pat plastered into the boards by Craig tonight?

CJSenterprise4
01-11-2008, 12:40 PM
He was probably our best d man and my favorite player. Kraus obviously has done nothing but be a baby and take stupid penalties since he has been here. I have not seen one instance yet that proves he is a scorer either...he shoots at the crest on the goalies jersey everytime. I have been to all the home games and Schira is a better person on and off the ice i would say.

Stemps
01-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Well I guess we won't be able to see a craig schira/nick ross reunion but it will be great to see schira work his magic on the ice once again.

CJSenterprise4
01-11-2008, 12:54 PM
One of the best pairings in the league..Schira and Ross. Ross was never the same without him. I hope Schira is in the starting line-up so i can stand up and cheer for him.

Tadaa
01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I'll cheer for him too!!!

nivek_wahs
01-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I'll cheer for him too!!!What? He doesn't wear a Pats' jersey anymore. I like him but I am not going to cheer for him. Remember it's the Regina Pats... not the Craig Schira's.