PDA

View Full Version : Regina stands pat on deadline day

nivek_wahs
01-11-2008, 07:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ed3a51ae-c5d5-4b7e-862b-398b10fb6fbf

Regina stands pat on deadline day

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, January 11, 2008

The WHL trade deadline passed with a whimper, not a bang.

Although there were several deals consummated prior to Thursday's 4 p.m. cutoff, most of them were relatively minor. To illustrate just how uneventful the deadline was, consider this: Even Trader Brent decided to stand Pat.

"Today would definitely go down as one of the quietest deadline days in terms of phone activity that I've ever had," offered Regina Pats GM Brent Parker. "We weren't really in on much of anything, to be honest. There were a couple things we kind of kept our eye on. If we could have made them work for the right price we would have considered it, but we weren't chasing anything hard."

One of those things involved Edmonton Oil Kings winger Robin Figren. Regina and Edmonton had a tentative deal in place for the Swedish sniper, but Figren kiboshed the deal upon returning from the world junior hockey championship.

"Did we have an interest? Sure," said Parker. "If he was a guy who was going to be available, we would have definitely had some interest. Robin is a talented player. From what we were told, he was off the market. So be it."

Despite being snubbed by Figren, Parker was able to give his roster a huge facelift with the addition of six new players over the previous nine days: Right-winger J.D. Watt, defenceman Ryan Bender, right-winger Ryan DePape, defenceman Victor Bartley, centre Scott Doucet and defenceman Dallas Jackson.

Earlier this season, he also acquired centre Tim Kraus.

"I like our team," said Parker. "We went into this thing with a shopping list, if you will, and areas we wanted to improve our team. I believe we've improved ourselves in every area that we wanted to address. Did we land every player that we had on our list? No. But you're never going to get everybody.

"We're pleased with where we ended up and anxious to see where it takes us," added the GM, whose new-look roster faces its first test tonight against the defending Memorial Cup-champion Vancouver Giants. "I know the building will likely be buzzing because it has the potential to be a great hockey game. I think people are excited to see the new guys. I know (the players) are excited as a group. They seemed as vocal and as energized as I've heard and seen them at practice in a long time. They're probably all very relieved to have (the deadline) over with. It has been a tough week on those kids."

Parker had the luxury of a quiet deadline day after launching a pre-emptive strike on the trade market, beginning with a four-player deal on New Year's Day. Several other trades followed, including the Moose Jaw Warriors' acquisition of defenceman Ty Wishart, thus taking most of the big names off the market before the deadline.

"I don't think there was really a ton left to do," said Parker. "There was enough done of significance earlier in the week and the last couple weeks that I didn't envision that there'd be a ton of stuff happening."

Eight trades were announced Thursday, with the most significant involving the Swift Current Broncos. One day after acquiring Oil Kings overage captain Bretton Stamler, Swift Current further solidified its defence by adding Jesse Dudas, 19, from the Prince George Cougars.

NOTE: For a complete list of trades in January, see Page 6.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008