PDA

View Full Version : Dziurzynski makes smooth transition to WHL

hobster
01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, January 11, 2008
Fitting Darian Dziurzynski's last name on the back of a jersey is no easy feat, but the Saskatoon Blades have had no problem fitting him into the lineup.

The 16-year-old forward didn't register on Saskatoon's radar at the start of the season. Now he's a key brick in the Blades' rebuilding plan.

"We saw him at the (midget AAA) Ice Mania Tournament in Prince Albert in November," said Blades assistant general manager Jarrod Brodsky. "He was the MVP of the tournament."

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****Brodsky and head scout Doug Molleken were at the event to evaluate Lloydminster Bobcats forward Jamie Crooks, one of Saskatoon's 1992-born draft picks. They found Dziurzynski at his side.

"They played on the same line and they scored a ton of goals," said Brodsky. "We liked the fact that Dziurzynski got involved and competed real hard. He wasn't afraid to stick his nose in there and take the puck to the net."

Dziurzynski notched five goals and five assists in five tournament games. The Blades gleefully added him to their 50-player protected listed.

"It was something that I didn't really expect," said Dziurzynski. "They called me on the Monday after we got back and told me the news. I was pretty happy about that."

Dziurzynski posted 35 points, including 20 goals, in 26 midget games before the Blades called him up for good this week. Tonight's game in Prince Albert marks his fifth start as a Blade. He has yet to register a point, but he has been involved in several scoring chances -- and he's been fearless.

"He's carried that (approach) from AAA to up here, which is a big jump," said Brodsky.

Dziurzynski started playing hockey in Big River's minor system before moving to Lloydminster about eight years ago. He went undrafted during the 2006 WHL bantam draft.

"In bantam, I hadn't developed as a player yet. I wasn't the player that I am now," said Dziurzynski, who speaks softly, but with confidence. "I was only about 5-foot-8 -- probably smaller than that. Now I'm close to six-foot."

That frame carries just 165 pounds, but Dziurzynski hasn't shied away from traffic. Quite the contrary.

"If you're intimidated about going to the net, it'll make you look bad and people aren't going to take notice of you," he said.

Although Dziurzynski once went under the radar, his mettle now makes him difficult to miss.

"Everything is happening so fast, so I'm trying to take everything in and learn from the older guys," he said. "I'm getting more confident carrying the puck now and I'm starting to take more time to look for guys that are open."

The Blades trek to Prince Albert tonight. The Raiders return the visit Saturday (7:05 p.m., Credit Union Centre).

BLADE BITS: Former Blades captain Justin McCrae scored twice Wednesday during his debut with the Spokane Chiefs. The 19-year-old centre helped Spokane post a 6-2 win over the visiting Kamloops Blazers.

hobster
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I know im a big fan of this kid allready one of the only Blades that actually go's to the net on a regular basis. Dziurzynski Patterson Wintoneak could be a great checking line that could shut down alot of teams top ines and even pot the odd goal in.