PDA

View Full Version : nice article on sportsnet

wardog fan
01-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Warriors' Ellerby predicted Wishart deal
Friday, January 11, 2008

With Keaton Ellerby (above) and Ty Wishart, the Moose Jaw Warriors have assembled one of the most intimidating defensive cores in the CHL. (Getty)By Patrick King, Sportsnet.ca

If Keaton Ellerby's hockey career doesn't pan out, he might have one as a psychic.

The Moose Jaw Warriors defenceman called Prince George Cougars defenceman Ty Wishart a few weeks ago, telling him to pack his bags and prepare for the long drive to Moose Jaw.

Wishart, who was a hot commodity at the Western Hockey League's trade deadline, was dealt to Moose Jaw on Monday, making Ellerby's prediction a reality.

"We didn't know what other teams were doing, obviously, but we were just kind of joking around about it and hoping it would happen," Ellerby said. "When it did happen, we were pretty shocked and unbelievably happy."

The happiness the Warriors felt from the trade was bad news for the rest of the league. Moose Jaw, who made their first big splash when they acquired Ellerby from the Kamloops Blazers in early November, has now assembled one of the most intimidating defensive cores in the Canadian Hockey League.

As head coach Dave Hunchak explains, that was the plan all along.

"I hope it's going to be real difficult (for other teams to play against us)," he said. "There's a reason why we went and got those two guys and that was to shore up our back-end and we feel we've done that with both guys."

The trade was welcomed by Warriors captain Riley Holzapfel.

The 19-year-old forward is looking forward to closing out his junior career without having to face two of the toughest defencemen in the league.

"It's obviously a good thing for me as an offensive guy in the league," he said. "(I'm not going to have) to worry about playing those two on an opposing team and having them trying to shut me down."

Although Wishart is known for his savvy defensive abilities, he's equally as effective in the offensive zone. Wishart is the top scoring defenceman in the league this season with 43 points in 41 games, including three assists in his first game with Moose Jaw Wednesday night in a 5-2 win over Brandon.

"I was very happy with him," Hunchak said. "There are a lot of expectations that have been placed on him and I thought he met all those expectations (Wednesday) night."

Ellerby wasn't surprised by Wishart's production in his first game. The two saw a lot of each other over the past three years of their careers as B.C. Division rivals, including a post-season tilt last year.

Wishart's Cougars swept Ellerby's Blazers in four games in the first round and as Ellerby explained, Wishart was a big factor in deciding the series.

"He was unbelievable for them in last year's playoffs," Ellerby said. "Basically four or five guys, Ty included, knocked us out of the playoffs. He definitely upped his level of play and he played a huge role for them."

The Cougars produced another upset in their playoff run, knocking off the regular season champion Everett Silvertips in the second round. Although their run was cut short of a championship by the eventual Memorial Cup champion Vancouver Giants in the conference finals, Wishart gained a lot of experience - something the Warriors are expecting him to use to help their team.

Wishart has enjoyed the spoils from the playoff win over Kamloops as he teased Ellerby in a radio interview Thursday morning. Ellerby said he doesn't mind the occasional jabs as it's coming from a friend and teammate. Ironically, the friendship was formed in their rookie seasons when a heated game in Prince George led to several fights, including one between the current teammates.

"We actually both just gave up," Ellerby said when asked who won the fight. "We were pretty tired so we just shut 'er down and went off the ice."

Since the duo represents the biggest and most talented combination of any team, it didn't take long for them to receive a nickname.

"Our billets keep calling us the 'Twin Towers,'" said Wishart, who stands 6-foot-5 and 203 pounds.

"We walk around and we kind of tower over them," explained Ellerby, who doesn't lose much in size at 6-foot-4 and 188 pounds.

As for having these two defensive stalwarts in their lineup, Holzapfel wasn't downplaying the significance as the team sets its sight on a long playoff run.

"To be able to pick up both of those guys and have them on our team here in Moose Jaw is something special," he said.

And although he predicted the Wishart trade, Ellerby was still shocked when general manager Chad Lang informed the team.

"That was a little ridiculous that it actually happened," Wishart said, "but I'm happy it did."

PGFlyfisher
01-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Great article! Those two guys on the points for the PP will be an absolute nightmare for any team in this league!

Some nights here in PG, Ty' s defensive play was suspect, but I have never seen a better offensive defenceman with the Cougars since we' ve had seasons tickets. He was an absolute treat to watch night in and night out, despite what some fickle fans out here had to say.
And watch him on the shootout if he gets the opportunity. Fantastic!
MJ gets a real gem in Wish!
We' ll miss him!