PDA

View Full Version : Rating the rest of the rookies so far in 07/08

sbtatter
01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
How does everyone feel our rookies (apart from the obvious stellar play of the baby blue line!) have made out, and what is there upside in the future?
G Hayes
D Grille Donovan, Melnychuk
F King, Cowan, Hale, Green (he only played about 5 shifts for 30 some games last season so he's pretty much a rookie!!)

WHEATMAN
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I have been impressed by Melnychuk and had it not been for Glennie and Schenn I think Brodie would be getting alot more attention, but Cowan esspecially as of late has really grew on me. During that stretch were we were missing alot of key players he really stepped up and showed that when he is given the ice time he can chip in. Hayes has been a dissapointment for me though, I think missing training camp really affected him, his rebound control has to be the worst in the league, that is his only glaring flaw

dagley
01-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Hayes - He's been alright this year, although hes played against less skilled teams, he's been mediocre at best. His 7-2-0-1 record is a little too good for the play he's had this year. Overall, I think hes a good backup goaltender the only problem I have with him is his inability to handle the initial shot, and he gets rattled easily.

Grill-Donovan - He's been quiet this year, but also a little impressive. He's got a gritty edge, a decent frame and actually initiates the physical contact. He can be a solid 5-6 defense man in the WHL.

Melnychuk - He's been stellar, he fills in that defense core extremely well, and at 16 years of age I didn't expect this much out of him. He can easily be a 2-3 guy when hes 18, 19 years of age.

Hale - Honestly, I don't know why he's on the team. A friend of mine discuss this almost every night. The guy could be a physical force, 6'3 and 216 pounds he should be a great 4th line player, but he's scared to be physical. Aside from his frame, he has no offensive upside and his skating is week.

Green - He's been good this year, and fits on that third line perfectly. He's pretty good on the power play when he's called upon and in 38 games this year, hes got 22 points. He may never have the scoring prowess he did in AAA, but he could be on the top 2 lines.

Cowan - Alright, I absolutely love Cowan. He's been excellent this year. The past few games he's had 4 goals in 5 games and I've been impressed. He won't ever score 20 goals in a season, but 15 sounds about right. He's physical, hes a menace and isn't afraid to stick up for his teammates.

King - I don't know what to think yet, but don't agree with everybody jumping on this kids back already. It's his first year in the WHL and adapting to the speed, strength and demands of junior, primarily in the WHL it's hard to ask him to do much more. I think next year when he gets a little more ice time he could be a 20-25 goal scorer.

Vik
01-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Hayes has been a dissapointment for me though, I think missing training camp really affected him, his rebound control has to be the worst in the league, that is his only glaring flaw
He's also weak on the blocker side. I was hoping for more from him but I'll give him a mulligan and see how he does next year (assuming he can stay healthy).

Cowan - Alright, I absolutely love Cowan. He's been excellent this year. The past few games he's had 4 goals in 5 games and I've been impressed. He won't ever score 20 goals in a season, but 15 sounds about right. He's physical, hes a menace and isn't afraid to stick up for his teammates.
I didn't understand why people were down on him early in the year. Tonight was my first game back since the Christmas break so it seems I missed quite a bit from him so I'm not as high as you guys might be but from what I've seen he's a solid depth guy. Although, the one goal I remember seeing from him was on a beauty of a shot.

Grill-Donovan has had some tough luck this season (once he got hurt in the first shift of a game and then another time Yeo got hurt early, which resulted in us going with just the two pairings) but from what I've seen he shouldn't have any real problem stepping into a physical 3rd pairing role for us next season.

And I think I've already given my opinions on the other rooks.

Brandonite
01-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Sanfred King just needs to gain some "balls"! Plain and simple! As soon as he toughens up and realizes he isn't going to get killed every time he goes into the corners, he will be a success in this league! I still say King will end up in Junior A by the end of his career but who knows! I always said Kauk & Dittmer never belonged in this league and I still say that about Kauk but Dittmer has changed my opinion just from this season which is bad because in 4 years, the guy has 1 good season to remember him by! I hope King can bring out the 1st round bantam pick scoring that people expect to see!

dagley
01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
If anyone needs to grow some balls its Jordan Hale.

Brandonite
01-12-2008, 05:03 PM
If anyone needs to grow some balls its Jordan Hale.

Yeah very true! For a guy as big as Jordan Hale is he definitely needs to toughen up and use that big frame! As Brian Sutter from the Rebels said last week about one of his players, he is built like Tarzan but he plays like Jane! That is the only way Hale will succeed in the WHL, is if he uses his frame!