PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna 11 PG 1

puckmam
01-12-2008, 12:05 AM
The start was terrible. The 2nd they didn't look too bad and the 3rd we'll just forget. Their size was no comparison to the Rockets who towered most of them. It was obvious they haven't been together before as a team. Playoffs out of the question.
shots Kelowna 39 PG 19

old_time_hockey
01-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Ouch

puckmam
01-12-2008, 12:26 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112193&Itemid=564
Cougars throttled by
Rockets (0)
(Sports) Friday, 11 January 2008, 22:09 PST
Jim Swanson

CATS-ROCKETS GAMER
by JIM SWANSON
Citizen Sports Editor

The intrigue of Friday's WHL game at CN Centre was the first chance to see how this younger Prince George Cougars team would look.

So, apparently, did the players, since they spent the first period of the game doing a lot of standing around and watching. By the time they snapped out of it, and it can be argued they never did join in the competition, the Kelowna Rockets had built a 6-1 lead almost unopposed.

The final result, an 11-1 drubbing in front of an announced crowd of 2,814, probably shouldn't be surprising considering the Cougars unloaded a good percentage of what experience they had on the roster before Thursday's trade deadline.

But then again, with legendary veterans like Ty Wishart and Jesse Dudas, not to mention the other older players such as Morgan MacLean and Tommy Tartaglione, unloaded in the past week, the Cougars weren't winning anyway, were they? Friday's loss means the Cats have won just four times in 24 games.

What sayings apply here? Rome wasn't built in a day. It can't get any worse. The only direction to go is up. Let the growing pains begin.

Rosy spin aside, file this game video in the horror section.

“Hit the nail on the head there – we stood around watching too much to see who was going to do what,” said Cougars head coach Drew Schoneck, noting that was the worst loss he's suffered as a junior coach.

“(The Rockets are) probably seven or eight months ahead (in development) from where we are right now, a good team. We're going to have some nights where we're overmatched, but that's not what we want to play like, that's for sure. Their team is a good one for us to model ourselves after, and it was a tough lesson for our guys to learn. We have 18 guys who are 18 years or younger, and they have 17 in that same age.”

The good news? As bad as the score was, it only counts as one loss.

“We have to forget about it,” said Cougars forward Dale Hunt, one of only three Cougars players whose plus-minus didn't take a major hit. “(Kelowna) is about the same age as us, so we can't use that as an excuse. That was a tough game... I don't know.”

It sure didn't start well. Cougars defenceman Patrik Magnusson, the only 19-year-old on the roster after all of general manager Dallas Thompson's wheeling and dealing was done, couldn't handle the speed of Kyle St. Denis down the right wing, and the forward coming back didn't pick up late man Cody Almond. He crunched the Cougars with his 13th of the season just 72 seconds in.

The second Kelowna goal was classic Cougars penalty killing, not willing to be physical and get in passing lanes. Jamie Benn's 23rd of the season was a tap-in at the right post, and probably the easiest goal he's scored all season.

Milan Kytnar and Benn, on another power play, made it 4-0 as Cougars netminder Real Cyr had a nightmare start. Magnusson got one back when his wrist shot from the point evaded the traffic in front of Torrie Jung.

Things got interesting for a few moments, with a character response by a skilled Kelowna forward. Cougars defenceman Garrett Thiessen leveled Colin Long with a check-from-behind in the neutral zone, and it was Benn – his team's leading goal-scorer – who immediately came to Long's defence, fighting Thiessen.

Cyr heard a Bronx cheer for stopping a rolling puck late in the first after giving up five goals on the first 15 shots. He allowed one more and was on the bench to start the second after giving up six goals on 16 shots. Ian Curtis, the 17-year-old, six-foot-five lefty acquired from Swift Current on Thursday, in the Jesse Dudas deal, stopped 18 of 23 shots the rest of the way in his Cougars debut.

Dylan Hood had three goals for the Rockets. Other Kelowna goals came from Evan Bloodoff, St. Denis, Myles MacRae and Brady Leavold. Goaltender Torrie Jung had a breeze of a night in goal for the Rockets (26-13-2-4), facing 19 shots and recording his ninth win of the season.

“Our defensive group is going to have to keep things as simple as possible, and at least four goals were directly off unforced errors and not getting the puck out of our zone,” said Schoneck. “Our goalies got left out to dry... tough one there.”

And, for those with rose-coloured lenses – the Kamloops Blazers lost 4-1 to Tri-City, so the Cats (13-28-1-0) remain 13 points out of a playoff spot. There, a bright side before the teams meet again tonight (7 p.m.) at CN Centre.

KITTY LITTER: Shots ended 39-19 in favour of Kelowna, and the Rockets were 4-7 on the power play. The Cougars only earned four power plays and didn't score in that time... Schoneck's starting defence pairing wasn't guarding the world against imaginary aliens, but Kalvin (Sagert) and Hobbs (first name Cody) had a rough first night together. Hobbs, added from Chilliwack on Thursday, wore Wishart's old No. 6. Justin Maylan was in No. 11, Brad Riege donned No. 12, and Curtis, who could get the call to start tonight, is wearing No. 1. Curtis appeared to hurt his left shoulder in the final minute, and he was being evaluated after the game. Maylan and Riege came in the Evan Fuller-Wishart deal... Cougars line combinations in this new era looked like this – Jordie Deagle with Alex Poulter and Hunt; Dana Tyrell, Greg Gardner and Riege; Maylan between Corey Tyrell and Parker Stanfield; and Ryan Kowalski, Jan Kupec and Colin Haas.

Friday summary

Rockets 11 at Cougars 1

First Period
1. Kelowna, Almond 13 (St. Denis, McMillan) 1:12
2. Kelowna, Benn 23 (Leavold, Long) 4:09 (pp)
3. Kelowna, Kytnar 5 (Hood) 7:25
4. Kelowna, Benn 24 (Long, Leavold) 15:37 (pp)
5. Prince George, Magnusson 5 (Bidlevskii, Poulter) 17:04
6. Kelowna, Leavold 14 (McMillan, Barrie) 18:13
7. Kelowna, Hood 7 (Kytnar) 19:20 (pp)

Penalties – Poulter PG (hooking) 3:35, Magnusson PG (hooking) 7:51, Bidlevskii PG (slashing) 15:24, St. Denis Kel (boarding), Benn Kel (fighting), Thiessen PG (checking-from-behind double minor, fighting) 18:00.
Second Period
8. Kelowna, Hood 8 (Paradis, McIntosh) 6:01
9. Kelowna, E.Bloodoff 11 (Dowzak, L.Bloodoff) 15:34 (pp)

Penalties – McMillan Kel (interference) 9:20, Thiessen PG (hooking) 12:53, Bidlevskii PG (holding) 13:58, D.Tyrell PG (slashing) 18:33.

Third Period
10. Kelowna, MacRae 7 (E.Bloodoff, L.Bloodoff) 10:00
11. Kelowna, St. Denis 11 (Almond) 18:48
12. Kelowna, Hood 9, 19:43

Penalties – Joe Kel (high-sticking) 2:31, Hood Kel (tripping) 3:44, Myers Kel (holding) 10:42.

Shots on goal by
Kelowna 16 12 11 --39
Prince George 7 9 3 --19

Power plays – Prince George: 0-4; Kelowna: 4-7.

Goal – Prince George, Real Cyr (L,7-16-1, 16 shots, 10 saves), Ian Curtis (start second, 23 shots, 18 saves); Kelowna, Torrie Jung (W,9-5-3).

Referees – Andy Thiessen; Linesmen – Chris DeHaan, Adam Hyatt.

Scratches – Prince George (75 man-games lost to injury/suspension this season): D Trevor Bauer (healthy), C Markus Watson (healthy); Kelowna: LW James McEwan (lacerated arm, indefinite), D Kyle Verdino (healthy), D Luke Schenn (rest following world junior duty).

Attendance – 2,814.

TwoBits
01-12-2008, 12:27 AM
I have to admit, I tuned out in the second after it was 8-1.

Well.....oh, how can I put a positive spin on this one..... the points are still the same if they lost 1 - 0. And, Kamloops lost too. :confused:

They radio announcers made it sound like Riege is going to bring some grit to the team. They said he was sticking up for Cyr when one of the Bloodoff brothers got in his face.

They also interviewed Ian Curtis in the 1st intermission, which I thought was stupid since he was going in to play in the second and by the sounds of it, he didn't know yet. But I digress...I like him...sounds like he didn't get a fair shot in Swift and he has an axe to grind.

Let's not get down on them too much, it was only their first game together.

Big hole to fill on the PP and PK though, the old guys will need to adjust to that.

Edit:

Holy crap, I was posting this when Puckmam posted Swanson's article. I think one of us is reading the other's mind.

puckmam
01-12-2008, 12:35 AM
There was one difference - they ALL looked like they were there to play.

TwoBits
01-12-2008, 12:37 AM
I guess that's all we can ask for...for now.

puckmam
01-12-2008, 12:41 AM
I don't mind if they lose when they try. It was obvious it's a new team unsure of who to pass to and where but the effort was there.

TwoBits
01-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Smiley are you Swanson?

Quote:

And, for those with rose-coloured lenses – the Kamloops Blazers lost 4-1 to Tri-City, so the Cats (13-28-1-0) remain 13 points out of a playoff spot. There, a bright side before the teams meet again tonight (7 p.m.) at CN Centre

PGFlyfisher
01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
It was hard to watch to say the least! I think there was good effort (considering the age group now)but a lot of uncertainty amongst the players. Gonna take a few games to figure out line combos and let the players get familiar with each other.
Hopefully the boys don' t get down too much, after all it is only game 1 with a whole "new look" team. A good lesson for our boys is to look across the ice at Kelowna and understand they took their lumps last year and now look at them. They are a well oiled machine, IMO.
Cyr didn' t have a lot of help either, but still wasn' t quite into the game early. 1st shot gets behind him and he just couldn' t seem to shake it off last night.
Hopefully a little closer result tonight.

WestLEAFfan
01-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Patience will be a virtue PG fans. Any word on whether the new goaltender acquired was injured last night?

PGFlyfisher
01-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Looked like he was hurt (possibly shoulder)late in the game, but haven' t heard how bad. Coach Drew said in the post game show he hadn' t talked to him yet and the doctors were looking at him. I wouldn' t think it is too serious, but we' ll find out tonight, I guess.

TwoBits
01-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Just tuned in and it sounds like Curtis is OK. That's good! He mentioned that the only opportunities he had to play in Swift was when they pulled the other goalie, the game was out of reach and the team had checked out. It will be nice for him to have the opportunity to "own" a game. Let's see how it goes.

smileyjones
01-13-2008, 04:04 PM
I would, however, be happy to borrow ANYBODY's rose colored glasses.

There will be a few tough nights but the effort appears to be there.

TwoBits
01-13-2008, 07:39 PM
I had a chuckle when I read Swanson's comment about the glasses. Do you think he reads our forum? A lot of his articles have tidbits of our conversations in them. Like the Cyr article. :laugh: I'm sure we gave him a lot of material for that one. :D

It's going to be a tough road ahead. I resigned myself to the fact that playoffs are a pipe dream, but I like to dream, so I will continue to do the math until it's impossible. I'm not going to be disappointed when they lose as long as they are trying, learning and keeping a good attitude. You know what, I'm not even going to be mad if they play Curtis for the rest of the season. OK, well that might be going a little far. :laugh: But, for some reason, I really have taken a liking to Curtis. Maybe I'll stay on next year as a Curtis fan.:thumb:

Smiley, PM your mailing address and I'll send you the BEST rose-coloured glasses in Saskatchewan. :groovy: :cool: :groovy: :cool: :groovy: :cool: :groovy: :cool: :groovy:

puckmam
01-14-2008, 07:46 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112366&Itemid=564

Young Cougars rebound, but another loss (0)
(Sports) Sunday, 13 January 2008, 23:07 PST
JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Justin Maylan, the newly-acquired 16-year-old centre of the Prince George Cougars, chips the puck away from Kelowna Rockets defenceman Tysen Dowzak during Saturday’s WHL game at CN Centre. Maylan had one goal, his first as a Cat, but Prince George suffered its sixth-straight defeat with a 5-2 setback. The Cougars play host to Portland on Tuesday and Wednesday. (Citizen photo by David Mah) That was better.

Still not a win, as this Prince George Cougars club desperately needs, but it was a marked improvement.

A night after the youthful Cougars were handed the worst loss in the team’s Prince George history, an 11-1 drubbing on home ice by the Kelowna Rockets, the Cats swept away the stagefright in a 5-2 loss to the Rockets on Saturday.

“Better, sure, but still at the end of the day it’s not good enough,” said Cougars head coach Drew Schoneck.

“It was a 3-2 game and we had an opportunity to get the puck out of our zone and didn’t, and a good team made us pay. Our compete level was up, the effort was there, and we were in the game.

“We could’ve given up another 11, just mailed it in, but that’s not what’s in that dressing room now. We’re forging an identity and part of that was to see how we bounced back after Friday.”

The Cougars fell behind 2-0 on goals by Cody Almond and Collin Bowman, the latter recording his first WHL goal on a floater shot that newly-acquired Cougars netminder Ian Curtis will want wiped from his memory.

In the second period, new Cougars centre Justin Maylan, added from Moose Jaw a week ago, scored his second goal in the WHL -- despite anything the 2,680 in attendance might’ve heard, don’t be fooled into thinking Kelowna’s Tysen Dowzak scored on his own net and was given credit for an own goal. Maylan scored his first WHL goal in Kelowna earlier this season.

“I don’t know what it is about (playing the Rockets),” said the 16-year-old centre, drafted 17th overall by the Warriors in 2006.

“It was a greasy goal, too, just like this one. It wasn’t pretty -- I tipped it in, and those are the kinds of goals you have to get in this league. However I score, it doesn’t matter.”

Dana Tyrell brought the Cougars even with a blast on the power play that clanged off the left post behind Kelowna goaltender Kris Westblom.

But bouncing back from an 11-1 loss to beat the same club the next night was a little too much to ask.

Brandon McMillan converted a Kelowna power play late in the second period, and the Rockets (27-13-2-4) closed this game out in the third on goals by Kyle St. Denis and Colin Long, the latter into an empty net. The Rockets, who sit fifth overall in the WHL in points, are on a seven-game winning streak.

The Cougars are now 2-26-0-0 when trailing a game going to the third period -- and a Prince George team that has scored the opening goal only 17 times in 43 games has taken a lead to the final period just seven times.

“The effort was better (Saturday) than Friday, but it’s still not the result we want,” said Tyrell, the 18-year-old forward who is now the centrepiece of the team.

“Things are getting better. I know I have to continue to pick up my game and show the younger guys how to play, how to handle things. Everybody has their ups and downs and we have a new group of guys here, but we have to take pride in what we do on the ice. We know we have to start winning, and we know that will make things fun again.”

Curtis, who looks and plays a lot like national junior team netminder Steve Mason, finished with 36 saves. Westblom faced 19 shots. Both teams scored twice on the power play.

Massive changes that saw older players dispersed for a total youth overhaul now has this team as the youngest in the 22-team league at 17.682 years of age -- that’s almost a half-year lower than the team was in November when the presence of older players still had the Cats outside the playoff picture.

Mind you, Kelowna isn’t much older with a 17.783 average age, that’s good for a tie for 19th in the WHL.

After Saturday’s rebound, Rockets coach Ryan Huska was both complimentary of the Cougars and understanding of the days that lie ahead for Schoneck.

“(Friday) was a good night for us in that every bounce went our way, but (Saturday) they worked a lot harder,” said Huska, the first-year head coach who was an assistant in Kelowna under Jeff Truitt and Marc Habscheid.

“They gave us a lot of problems and we got after our guys a lot because they were better than us in the first two periods, for the most part.

“Doing what they’ve done (with gutting the roster) is probably the best thing they can do. Last year we did the same thing and there were times we wondered as a staff... we were getting beaten handily on a regular basis. But all the young guys who are 17 or 18 are better now because they played a lot, maybe more than they should’ve in this league, but we’re benefitting from that this year. You have to be patient and stick through the tough times. The experience will pay off -- it will be tough on the fans and coaches, but it will be worth it.”

The Cougars (13-29-1-0), losers of six in a row, are home to the Portland Winter Hawks on Tuesday and Wednesday, meetings between the two worst teams in the league. Portland (8-34-0-1) has lost three in a row and is the only team that has fewer wins and points, more losses, and more goals against than the Cougars this season. Prince George is 15 points out of a playoff spot after Kamloops beat Chilliwack 2-1 on Saturday.

TwoBits
01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey, I just noticed something freaky. We lost 1-11 on 1-11! I'm sorry I ever made that voodoo wise crack. :evil: