PDA

View Full Version : Jan 11 2008 Giants 2 Pats 5

dondo
01-12-2008, 02:40 AM
another recap from the box score. I suppose I'm glad I didn't listen to this one on the radio. I'd be curious to know if the Pats were that good, the Giants that bad, or a combination there-of.

Pats Slap Giants 5-2 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/January_11_PatsbkSlapbkGiants_184.html)

Pats Slap Giants
Vancouver 2 Regina 5

Don Robinson

It must have been a satisfying bit of revenge for Timmy Kraus who lit the Giants up for one goal and two assists as he lead his team to a 5-2 romp over his former team, who were simply awful tonight. The fourth line took the brunt as Craig Cunningham had a career game low –4. Mitch Czibere was a –3, as was Jonny Blum in his first game back after returning from a not quite successful stint with the US squad in the World Juniors. Mike Berube, Craig Schira and newest Giant D-man RJ LaRochelle all had –2’s on the night as the team allowed five goals on meagre 19 total shots. All five goals against the Vancouver squad were even-strength and the only two goals the G-Men got past Linden Rowat were PP markers.

Tim Kraus opened the scoring in the first period, off of Logan Pyett and Matt Delahy. The Pats padded that lead in the second going up 2-0 on the visiting Giants. Kirt Hill put one past Tyson Sexsmith who allowed four goals on 15 shots, assisted once again by Pyett and Delahy. Regina put the game away in the third scoring three more unanswered goals giving the home team a massive 5-0 lead. Vancouver fought back scoring two of their own, but it was too little too late as they were not able to crawl out of the hole in which they put themselves. Jordan Eberle, Ryan DePape and Michael MacAngus tallied the markers for the Pats with Kraus helping on the Eberle and MacAngus goals. Brent Regner scored on the PP at 16:09 of the third breaking Rowat’s shut-out bid. Jonathon Blum and Lance Bouma added the helpers. Spencer Machacek rounded out the Giants scoring 1:20 later with another PP marker off of Regner and Bouma. Kraymer Barnstable replaced Sexsmith with about 10 minutes left in the game after the Pats fourth goal. He allowed 1 goal on a mere four shots, so really neither of the Giants ‘tenders showed up tonight. The Giants will be glad to put this game behind them and hope that this is just an aberration for their extended road trip, as they have more than a few tough games ahead and they’ll need to put in a lot better effort than they did tonight, especially on the defensive side of the puck.

The Giants had very inauspicious beginning to their six game road trip which sees them visit every team in the Eastern Conference, a trip they haven’t made for two years due to the ridiculous scheduling the WHL pawns off on its fans. The Vancouver squad out shot their opponent 29-19 and went 2 for 6 on the PP while holding their opponents to 0 for 5. The Giants head to Brandon tomorrow night to take on the Wheat Kings at Westman Place. The puck drops at 7:30 CST, 5:30 PST.

Three Stars

1. Tim Kraus
2. Logan Pyett
3. Matt Delahy

Swando
01-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I watched 2 1/2 periods on Web Cast before I turned it off as it was sad to watch. Not blaming Sexsmith but Regina scored 3 goals on 7 or so shots (that's when I quit watching)

It looked to me that it was an extremely tight checking game and when an opportunity arose on bad play Regina scored and we didn't. Shots after 2 periods were 16-6 and we were down 2-0.
If you look at the box score Cunningham/Czibere were -4. Blum looked like he forgot how to skate (hope not a Franson reoccurence from last year). All in all a poor performance. I think the 5-2 was flattering for the Giants as they scored 2 late PP goals.

PGFlyfisher
01-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I watched 2 1/2 periods on Web Cast before I turned it off as it was sad to watch. Not blaming Sexsmith but Regina scored 3 goals on 7 or so shots (that's when I quit watching)

Now what kind of fan are you? ;) I sat by my Cougars last night and watched them get clobbered 11-1 by the Rockets.

Just teasin' ya. Some losses are harder to take than others, that' s for sure.

The East does look mighty scary this year though, eh?

dagley
01-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Hopefully Vancouver can come into Brandon tonight. Two good teams, going at it...can't wait. I hate only being able to see Vancouver every other year. I have been excited to see Blum and Sexsmith, although Barnstable might get the nod.

dondo
01-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Now what kind of fan are you? ;) I sat by my Cougars last night and watched them get clobbered 11-1 by the Rockets.

Just teasin' ya. Some losses are harder to take than others, that' s for sure.

The East does look mighty scary this year though, eh?

oh man I bleed for you -- I saw that score and went *ouch* -- well done for standing in there and keeping the faith.

Yup the East is tough this year, but the Giants have to put on a better performance than they did last night and Sexy had one of those games when he loses focus and they fill the net.

The Giants might still have some problems in Brandon as they haven't really had the chance to practice a lot with their newest D-man and being a very system-oriented team when systems break down holes form.

The team's got to be better for the rest of this road trip. I do find it a positive that when they were down and out behind 5-0 they rallied to get two goals, maybe it'll smarten 'em up a bit.

Fight Guy
01-12-2008, 03:14 PM
The team's got to be better for the rest of this road trip. I do find it a positive that when they were down and out behind 5-0 they rallied to get two goals, maybe it'll smarten 'em up a bit.To be honest, It's not hard for a team like the Giants to score goals when it is 5 on 3. It honestly probably would have been a shutout had Wieler not called two just ridiculous calls in the final minutes to give Vancouver two late 5 on 3's.

But I have to say, the Giants are damn good, and like I said in another post elsewhere, had it been the Pats from two weeks ago you guys played, you guys would have been laughing like no other...lol.

Now go out there and beat the rest of the Eastern division for us!

rinkrat
01-12-2008, 03:55 PM
I hate only being able to see Vancouver every other year. I have been excited to see Blum and Sexsmith, although Barnstable might get the nod.
Totally agree with you,I wish we could play all the teams at least once each year. Here's to a great game tonight,wish I was there. :)

Fight Guy
01-12-2008, 04:34 PM
I agree completely. Though, can't completely complain. In the NHL, some teams don't even meet every year. Now that's just ridiculous. I really hope they go to each team playing each other at least twice. Sure it cuts down on costs, but you don't even get to see some teams play, and I hate that.

old_time_hockey
01-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I wish that instead of playing the Rockets 10 times (granted they are good games) that we got to see some more of the east. Brandon and Vancouver get a home and home this year.

Last year we played the Tigers twice...both games in MH??

Give me the Rockets 6 times, and have a few more East teams come to town. I realize that it has a lot to do with team finances and keeping travel costs down. But still, there has to be something that can be done.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-13-2008, 01:41 AM
I am sure that it is within the leagues budget to see every team in your building at least once in the year. It would be worth it too, because west conference games are always exciting. The everett game last year was one of the best, this vancouver game, though one sided ;), was very good, and even the kelowna one was memorable. All the others were fun too. It was fun to see tommy back as well against PG.

It took the league forever to get the conference seeds as the format again, and I think it will probably take longer for more inter conference games to start happening.. But I can see it happening in the future.

For one thing, it would bring more people to the games, instead of played PA 6 times in a row, or for you guys, playing the rockets and cougers every game. Secondly, the fans would like it. It may cost more, but more money would come in. High risk, higher reward.

This is especially important when you take into consideration the quality of some players. Some team might get the next crosby or something, and the other conference would only get to see them play once or twice at best.

BWK
01-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with the others who want to see every team in a season. Frustrating for Wheat King fans this year was the fact that we had one chance in three seasons to see Luke Schenn play in Brandon with the Rockets and they come during the WJHC.

I think that costs are not the major problem with cross country travel but time away from school is. This league is very committed to education...

hobster
01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Found this interesting that the Giants are staying Saskatoon for 5 nights on there eastern road swing.

Last night after Brandon they travelled too Saskatoon tonight they will stay here and tomorrow night then after the game in P.A on tuesday they will travle the hour and a half drive back too Stoon stay here again on Tuesday wednesday and thursday night, then travell too Moose Jaw and Swift on the weekend .Alot of teams from out west make Saskatoon there pit stop cause it's pretty central.

patsdude114
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
It all depends on how there east division schedule is.... West/US tams either stay in Regina or Saskatoon..... depends where in there trip they head up to PA and Saskatoon if its at the begining of the trip then they use Regina after those 2 games are done up north... if they go to Regina to start off the trip then they will end up using Saskatoon....

Happens all over the league all depends how the schedule shapes up so dont think that they choose Saskatoon for any special reason cause it happens all over.

hobster
01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Easy Easy pal i wasn't bragging about nothing i was just saying it's crazy that they use the big city too sleep in over a city like P.A but it makes sence i guess that were more central.

dondo
01-15-2008, 12:55 AM
s'toon is a great city to hang out in too -- I seem to remember a vibrant arts and blues scene. some of my best buds are from the s'toon, but living out here.

We'll see you guys on Wednesday -- but first P.A.

old_time_hockey
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I was at a conference not too long ago and there were 2 guys from Saskatoon there. They were saying that Saskatoon is really undergoing so changes and really didn't know why when people think of Saskatoon the first thing that springs to mind in guitars, cadillacs and hillbilly music.

Didn't go quite as far as to say they are becoming like a west coast town...except their housing costs are going through the roof like ours has.