PDA

View Full Version : Giants vs Wheat Kings

patsdude114
01-12-2008, 05:43 PM
I am thinking tonight the Wheat Kings are going to need to bring there best game of the year against a very pissed off Don Hay hockey team..... Hay was furious on the bench lots last night in Regina, i am thinking there were some few selective words used in the dressing room after the 5-2 loss to Regina last night. Vancouver gave up numerous odd man rushes when the Pats countered with their speed, Sexsmith had a shakey game at best im thinking he wont string together 2 of those in a row.

Wish i was in Brandon for tonights game. In my mind its the game of the night in the WHL, followed by MJ vs MH then REG vs SC. There is no real good match ups in the West division tonight.

Good luck Wheaties tonight im thinking you may need it tonight...with a Pats win and a Wheaties loss will help get alittle separation in the standings with the 3 games in hand the Wheaties have on the Pats. Cant wait til Tuesday night when the Wheaties are in Regina

sbtatter
01-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I am thinking tonight the Wheat Kings are going to need to bring there best game of the year against a very pissed off Don Hay hockey team..... Hay was furious on the bench lots last night in Regina, i am thinking there were some few selective words used in the dressing room after the 5-2 loss to Regina last night. Vancouver gave up numerous odd man rushes when the Pats countered with their speed, Sexsmith had a shakey game at best im thinking he wont string together 2 of those in a row.

Wish i was in Brandon for tonights game. In my mind its the game of the night in the WHL, followed by MJ vs MH then REG vs SC. There is no real good match ups in the West division tonight.

Good luck Wheaties tonight im thinking you may need it tonight...with a Pats win and a Wheaties loss will help get alittle separation in the standings with the 3 games in hand the Wheaties have on the Pats. Cant wait til Tuesday night when the Wheaties are in Regina i also think the Gianys will be on a mission tonight!! be interesting to see how the Bronco's play in Regina tonight, they brought they little energy here last night, I'm sure they had the riot act read to them also...

rinkrat
01-12-2008, 10:48 PM
There is no real good match ups in the West division tonight.

Spokane is playing Tri Cities .Chiefs are 1st and Ams are 3rd.. pretty good rivalry i would say...

sbtatter
01-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Vancouver work hard, forecheck with energy and take the body at every opportunity. They stand up for each other as well. I Thought larochelle and Regner were strong defensively, kane was tougher in traffic than I thought he would be. Cloud is a little ball of hate, Mahachuk (sp) was excellent.
My favourite WK part of the night was when Schira draped himself all over Schenn no penalty called so Schenn just threw him to the ice!
The first 2 periods were write offs, but had more effort in the third. I thought the Green, Jeffries Bartek line was the best line again in the third, had our only sustained pressure in the Giants zone. We tried both Cowan and Fehr on that top line, but they look jaded without Clark, Dittmer and Lowry need to start playing hard again. The kid line tried, but the fancy flicks and slick passing that was unstoppable up to now just hasn’t worked this weekend. The 4th line didn’t get enough shifts to show much. I think we miss Boyle a lot at the back. 2 huge character guys like Boyle and Clark are big holes to fill. Joe C was very good again, nice to see.
This season has been an over achieving season, I think if our guys get back to hard work and drive to the net and shoot instead of that extra pass, we’ll be ok. How well Vancouver played tonight, I think that’s how dominant we’ll be the next 2 years. Cloud landed a right hand flush on Erb’s face, surprised it didn’t knock him down. Impressed with how Don hay was engaged with his players all game, one of the most animated & interactive visiting coaches I’ve seen here this year…

old_time_hockey
01-13-2008, 12:05 AM
listened to the whole game last night and about half of the game in Brandon.

The real Giants showed up in Brandon. I am so bummed. I am going to miss the game when the Wheaties show up at the Rink on Renfrew in Feb. I'll be away for work :burningma I always like watching the Eastern teams come to town. Especially the Kings. So much history with that team.

Maybe we can hook up later in the playoffs?

sbtatter
01-13-2008, 12:07 AM
listened to the whole game last night and about half of the game in Brandon.

The real Giants showed up in Brandon. I am so bummed. I am going to miss the game when the Wheaties show up at the Rink on Renfrew in Feb. I'll be away for work :burningma I always like watching the Eastern teams come to town. Especially the Kings. So much history with that team.

Maybe we can hook up later in the playoffs? Your team looked like the real deal tonight...

rinkrat
01-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I really liked your radio pbp guys. They are the best away announcers I have heard this year. They are a little monotone vocally,but are absolutely NOT homers. They call it the way it is both ways. Also the colour guy has alot of insight into the game. A real treat to listen to after some of the blatant homerism you hear around the league. :thumb:

dagley
01-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Vancouver was dominate all night. I was really impressed by their ability to fore check, their speed through the neutral zone. They can roll all 4 lines.

Brandonite
01-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Can you imagine if they had Milan Lucic & Cody Franson back? The fact that Lucic is a horse in the NHL, he would absolutely destroy kids in the WHL today. That kid is huge and Vancouver would be obviously be that much stronger with those 2. Also Repik is still hurt and he is a main guy. Vancouver still looks like a team to beat out West

dondo
01-13-2008, 08:21 PM
yeah we really miss Lucic and as much as all of us are proud of how hard he's worked to remain with the Bruins the same lot of us wants him back. he's such a good guy and so much fun to watch.

This is a guy who was playing in Junior B and the Giants signed him as a free-agent (btw Franson was also a free-agent signing) and now he's playing and contributing in the NHL as a 19 year old demolishing true enforcers and adding to the offensive side as well -- crazy -- so for you kids mired in Junior B or Midget there's hope work hard, do your best and keep a positive attitude and you could realize your dream of being in the NHL. It helps if you are 6'4" 220 too :thumb:

Missing Repik as well, but he's supposed to be back sometime in Feb. I was working so missed all but the third period, but it was nice to see the players and Sexy bounce back after allowing themselves to be embarrassed in Regina.

Looking forward to seeing the Wheaties in February and I'm going to make sure I am not working that night.

Vik
01-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Vancouver work hard, forecheck with energy and take the body at every opportunity. They stand up for each other as well. I Thought larochelle and Regner were strong defensively, kane was tougher in traffic than I thought he would be. Cloud is a little ball of hate, Mahachuk (sp) was excellent.
My favourite WK part of the night was when Schira draped himself all over Schenn no penalty called so Schenn just threw him to the ice!
The first 2 periods were write offs, but had more effort in the third. I thought the Green, Jeffries Bartek line was the best line again in the third, had our only sustained pressure in the Giants zone. We tried both Cowan and Fehr on that top line, but they look jaded without Clark, Dittmer and Lowry need to start playing hard again. The kid line tried, but the fancy flicks and slick passing that was unstoppable up to now just hasn’t worked this weekend. The 4th line didn’t get enough shifts to show much. I think we miss Boyle a lot at the back. 2 huge character guys like Boyle and Clark are big holes to fill. Joe C was very good again, nice to see.
This season has been an over achieving season, I think if our guys get back to hard work and drive to the net and shoot instead of that extra pass, we’ll be ok. How well Vancouver played tonight, I think that’s how dominant we’ll be the next 2 years. Cloud landed a right hand flush on Erb’s face, surprised it didn’t knock him down. Impressed with how Don hay was engaged with his players all game, one of the most animated & interactive visiting coaches I’ve seen here this year…
I thought LaRochelle was the only Giants dman that looked off. He kept trying to hit everything and missed pretty much every time. And I'm not sure I've ever seen Green look more afraid than he was that game.

With that said, Vancouver were clearly the better team. It kind of reminded me of when Kelowna was here in the finals and they simply crushed us. We were overmatched and Kelly had no idea what to do. Couldn't find any weak minutes to give the rook line since there are no easy minutes against Vancouver and was unwilling to break it up for some reason. Oh and Yeo looked as bad as he has in a Wheat Kings jersey.

sbtatter
01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I thought LaRochelle was the only Giants dman that looked off. He kept trying to hit everything and missed pretty much every time. And I'm not sure I've ever seen Green look more afraid than he was that game.

With that said, Vancouver were clearly the better team. It kind of reminded me of when Kelowna was here in the finals and they simply crushed us. We were overmatched and Kelly had no idea what to do. Couldn't find any weak minutes to give the rook line since there are no easy minutes against Vancouver and was unwilling to break it up for some reason. Oh and Yeo looked as bad as he has in a Wheat Kings jersey.
We have opposite opinions? Didn't you think Green was the only guy driving around the d-men and setting up his guys? Everyone in our section thought he was the best WK skater. Funny how we watch the same game and disagree.....who'd be a coach!!!!

Vik
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
We have opposite opinions? Didn't you think Green was the only guy driving around the d-men and setting up his guys? Everyone in our section thought he was the best WK skater. Funny how we watch the same game and disagree.....who'd be a coach!!!!
I was surprised he didn't get moved down to the 4th line from what I saw of him. One example that really bothered me was in our own zone, he had a guy coming in on him as he was picking up the puck so he just threw the puck backhand up the boards right to the Giants dman. It looked like his knees were knocking on a couple occasions at both ends of the ice. Although, I didn't notice it as much in the 3rd period which I think is where you said his line did well so maybe that could be the difference. Maybe having Jeffries on his line made him a little braver.

Brandonite
01-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I was surprised he didn't get moved down to the 4th line from what I saw of him. One example that really bothered me was in our own zone, he had a guy coming in on him as he was picking up the puck so he just threw the puck backhand up the boards right to the Giants dman. It looked like his knees were knocking on a couple occasions at both ends of the ice. Although, I didn't notice it as much in the 3rd period which I think is where you said his line did well so maybe that could be the difference. Maybe having Jeffries on his line made him a little braver.

Nathan Green plays alot like Lance Monych or Aaron Goldade. He shows such promise for a couple games and then he disapears for the next 4. It seems when he plays with Jefferies or Fehr, he does alright and has some more conifidence in himself. I could see him being a guy they would consider moving in the off season. With him being 19 next year and really still struggling for consistency, I wouldn't be surprised at all nor disapointed.