PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for Ams fans........

Kristi
03-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Tri-City Americans File for Relocation
Created: Mar 24, 2005

Calgary, AB – Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League announced today the Tri-City Americans have formally applied to relocate the WHL Franchise to Chilliwack, British Columbia.

The WHL Board of Governors have scheduled a meeting for Thursday, March 31, 2005 in Calgary to review the application. Any request to relocate a WHL Franchise requires a two-thirds vote in favour by the WHL Board of Governors in order to be approved.

The Tri-City Americans WHL franchise has been based in Kennewick, Washington since the 1988-89 season.

Jovorock
03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
It is too bad for the Ams fans, they deserved better.

grumphy
03-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Sad, sad day------hope Porter isn't looking for great playoff ticket sales numbers.

Tipped Off
03-24-2005, 05:00 PM
This is really too bad for all of the U.S. Divison. Although our season ended bitterly with TC, having 5 U.S. Division teams worked out very well. Along with their Move, TC would probably cause some sort of shuffle in the divisions. Everett has established some good rivalries with the teams in the division after jsut two years. It would be ashame to see that broken up already.

The_Vulk
03-24-2005, 05:26 PM
So, the rumours have finally come true.

It is a shame for all the fans and businesses that have grown up and around the Ams.

C.F
03-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Although I'm happy the dub has found it's way to Chilliwack, I feel terrible for the loyal Am's fans.

Hopefully the divisions are re-done to avoid having a 4 team division.

RunTheGoalie
03-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Sad to hear. Bob Tory is on Fan960 radio in Calgary right now, I will post anything interesting he says.

Rooselk
03-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Although I'm happy the dub has found it's way to Chilliwack, I feel terrible for the loyal Am's fans.

Hopefully the divisions are re-done to avoid having a 4 team division.

My guess would be that the US Division would become the Southern Division and the Chilliwack team would then remain in the Division. Or, for the sake of a Vancouver - Chilliwack rivalry, the new Chilliwack team could be added to the BC Division and Kootenay could be added to a 'Southern Division' due to it's proximity to Spokane.

But this is indeed a very sad day for the Ams fans. I feel for them.

C.F
03-24-2005, 06:15 PM
My guess would be that the US Division would become the Southern Division and the Chilliwack team would then remain in the Division. Or, for the sake of a Vancouver - Chilliwack rivalry, the new Chilliwack team could be added to the BC Division and Kootenay could be added to a 'Southern Division' due to it's proximity to Spokane.

But this is indeed a very sad day for the Ams fans. I feel for them.
If it were my choice, I'd do this.

divisions a-

Vancouver
Chilliwack
Portland
Seattle
Everett

division b-

Kamloops
Kootenay
Kelowna
Prince George
Spokane

Less travel, too.

RunTheGoalie
03-24-2005, 06:24 PM
He speculated that they turned down the Edmonton offer because the Amerks owner still wants to own the team, while the Oilers wanted outright ownership.

Other than that, nothing said of note.

RunTheGoalie
03-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Not a bad idea, C.F.

The other thing I can think of is to bring Chilliwack into the BC division, and move Kootenay to the "Southern" division. Spokane is the closest opponent for Cranbrook, and they could maintian a heavily unbalanced schedule that sees them go to Lethbridge and Calgary as frequently as they have in the past as well.

Rooselk
03-24-2005, 06:36 PM
If it were my choice, I'd do this.

divisions a-

Vancouver
Chilliwack
Portland
Seattle
Everett

division b-

Kamloops
Kootenay
Kelowna
Prince George
Spokane

Less travel, too.

Now that is an excellent idea! If the Ams do indeed move, I'd love to see the WHL adopt that structure.

HAF
03-25-2005, 07:40 AM
It truly is a sad day for me and my family. I feel like a part of me died yesterday afternoon. Hockey night at the coliseum was my church. There are people I have known for years that I only ever see or talk to at Am's games. The true fans have bought tickets and showed up whether we were winning or losing. It is us true fans that have kept this team alive and now out of greed it is being yanked from us . It truly is a sad day. I wish I had every cent I have spent merchandise and tickets back. Not because I regret being an Ams fan but because I now realize that that money was spent supporting a cowardly trio of individuals who didnt even have the decency to shoot the people of Tri Cities straight on their intentions. Porter and company owe us all an opology.
With that being said. Yes I will be at the playoff games supporting our boys in what little time we do have left with them. I hope the people of Chiliwack support them and appreciate them the way we have all these years and I wish each player on that roster the very best in their future careers.
In closing might I also add that I hope Darryl Porter has an encounter with a proctologist named Dr. Hook....

Jovorock
03-25-2005, 09:22 AM
I have heard that prelimenary talks within the league is that they will go away from the four conferences and goto East and West. Two ten team conferences and be done with it!

Chipper
03-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Still a glimmer of hope for the AMS as they need to get the majority of team owners to vote yes to this move. I think there could be some owners against the move as it will cause a realignment of at least two divisions and could also change rivalries and travel schedules. I personaly hope the owners turn this down and force the ams to stay.

Beaner
03-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Still a glimmer of hope for the AMS as they need to get the majority of team owners to vote yes to this move. I think there could be some owners against the move as it will cause a realignment of at least two divisions and could also change rivalries and travel schedules. I personaly hope the owners turn this down and force the ams to stay.

Well, you have to think that the Ams ownership group has already checked out who would vote yes or no for a move to Chilliwack. Got to think they already have it in the bag.

I can't see the league turning it down as a whole, unless the league is willing run the franchise themselves or find new owners.

BWK
03-25-2005, 01:09 PM
I have to agree Beaner. You would think that any good business person would see which way the wind is blowing before they went public with their intentions.

I think there may be a lot of posturing in the press by the likes of Farwell, Speltz, et al but when they get into the meetings, out of the press glare, the results will be a slam dunk approval.

Most of these owners don't like to be dictated to about what they can or can not do with their assetts. Unless it is detremental to the voting owners assetts (ie. adding more to the cost per game) they will let the Tri City owners do as they wish and would expect the same consideration in return.

Thunderbird107
03-25-2005, 01:14 PM

Why would businessmen turn down another businessman? Already the Ams, at least here in Seattle, get mid-week games and Sundays meaning we don't really draw well against them. (How we draw against anyone is a different topic) If it was Portland moving, then I think you'd see Sea/Eve being more vocal as that is a rivalry that puts fans in the seats. Spokane, really, is the only team that stands to lose as the Ams were the main draw for the Chiefs. Yes, losing a division member is bad for all teams, but if Vancouver moves in, at least in Sea/Eve, I think that will be a much better draw than TC.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Well, you have to think that the Ams ownership group has already checked out who would vote yes or no for a move to Chilliwack. Got to think they already have it in the bag.

I can't see the league turning it down as a whole, unless the league is willing run the franchise themselves or find new owners.
Yep. You know they don't want to have to crawl back to TC with their tail between their legs. They knew where the score was at before they filed for the move.

Tinner
03-25-2005, 08:53 PM
its a done deal.........most owners are of the opinion that realignment will be better, especially if another team moves to edmonton

RunTheGoalie
03-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Realistically, the only team that would oppose the relocation is Spokane. Kootenay might.

The entire Eastern Conference wont care at all, and will be likely to support the move for the reason stated above: buisnessmen arent going to screw buisnessmen. It's bad buisness.

The interior BC will vote in favour for the same reason, while Vancouver, Everett and Seattle would as Chilliwack offers a much shorter road trip.

For the B.O.G. to vote against the move would be shocking.

LifelongChiefsFan
03-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Speltz has already said that Spokane will oppose the move. I get a feeling that we will be the only franchise that does though...I hope I am wrong about that.

Kristi
03-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Speltz has already said that Spokane will oppose the move. I get a feeling that we will be the only franchise that does though...I hope I am wrong about that.

Farwell from Seattle has come out and said he opposes the move as well.

Brad
03-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Everett's GM has said they are against the move and its been heavily implied that Portland's ownership is against the move.

Rooselk
03-28-2005, 03:38 PM

According to Seattle Times writer, Jim Reilly, who was interviewed on the subject during last night's Tips - Winter Hawks game, the US Division is solid in their opposition to the move. Moreover, Reilly doesn't believe the team will be allowed to move. I guess we'll see on Thursday.