PDA

View Full Version : Fans On The Road

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
01-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Never thought I'd have to make a post like this, but I have to get a rant out after attending tonight's Bronco game in Regina. I've attended a few games in different rinks the past couple of years and made my first trip with a few friends out to the Brandt Centre.

The question is, will I ever return to that rink? For the seating, maybe. I like the cushioned seats. But never before have I been treated the way I was last night, getting verbally attacked, threatened, and physically touched.

Heading into the rink, I was expecting to be beaked, it happens in most rinks. But to have grown men slap you on the jersey and say, "too bad they suck" takes things to a whole other level.

Following a loss to have someone tell you they want to shove your cowbell up your *** really makes me want to punch them in the stomach.

Not trying to paint all Pats fans with the same brush, I've sat with a few at our own rink who I've developed a friendly rivalry with, but never would you see someone treated like that in Swift Current. If they were, you can be sure security would remove them. Is there even any security at the rink in Regina?

I'm almost wondering how we would've been treated if the Broncos had won last night, we probably would have had to fight our way out of the building.

Big Ern
01-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Never thought I'd have to make a post like this, but I have to get a rant out after attending tonight's Bronco game in Regina. I've attended a few games in different rinks the past couple of years and made my first trip with a few friends out to the Brandt Centre.

The question is, will I ever return to that rink? For the seating, maybe. I like the cushioned seats. But never before have I been treated the way I was last night, getting verbally attacked, threatened, and physically touched.

Heading into the rink, I was expecting to be beaked, it happens in most rinks. But to have grown men slap you on the jersey and say, "too bad they suck" takes things to a whole other level.

Following a loss to have someone tell you they want to shove your cowbell up your *** really makes me want to punch them in the stomach.

Not trying to paint all Pats fans with the same brush, I've sat with a few at our own rink who I've developed a friendly rivalry with, but never would you see someone treated like that in Swift Current. If they were, you can be sure security would remove them. Is there even any security at the rink in Regina?

I'm almost wondering how we would've been treated if the Broncos had won last night, we probably would have had to fight our way out of the building.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences in that barn, and it doesn't surprise me one bit.

I have seen a friend get spit on in that facility. He was walking right beside me. He held me back, or someone may have gotten injured.

Maybe I have a menacing look, maybe it's something else. I always get dirty stares from people in Regina and Medicine Hat when I'm there. But I've never been as much as spoken to in a rude way. And I hope whoever spits at me, slaps me, or does any of the things you mentioned above, knows beforehand that there will be dire circumstances. Of course I would probably get hurt...it's a lot of people against one in an opposing arena. But I promise you whoever did it to me would hurt too, and no matter how badly bruised I would be after, that fact would bring me a lot of satisfaction.

It's been good for me so far...I hope for myself and the opposition it stays that way.

No one goes through any of that in our rink when they come and visit, and I don't expect to experience anything of this sort in another barn either.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Yep. There are alot of A-holes in the brandt centre, not going to lie. I may talk a big game sometimes, but I dont go that far. I yell at the ref alot though. It was probably Nivek wahs and his gang of junvenile delinquints once again laying out the law on outsiders of something (J/K, of course. Nivek doesnt need to get his hands dirty. He just sends someone else to do it.)

Ive seen on more than a few occasions, especially at MJ games, where the pushing goes both ways. Sometimes, I think the fans here think that all away-team fans are like that. Plus there are just alot of dicks here to begin with. Not that this is a good excuse, but pats fans have had it rough for the last few years, and there are a surprisingly large amount of diehard fans out there that have seen all the **** before. More than once have I seen slight brawls in the stands between fans of different teams, but let the morons settle things their way. Like you said, painting all fans with the same brush isnt the right way to see things, but more often than not, thats the way alot of people see it.

and no, security's only purpose is to make sure people dont put their feet on the seats. Little old ladies arent going to do much to stop violence in the stands.

If it means anything, Im sorry that sort of stuff happened. You should come for the games, not the jackass fans. It was a good game, and the teams seem to love to play each other, so that should be excuse enough to come back to Regina next time around.

PS: perhaps try a different section next time you come around, or go to section 109 where big ern frequently goes (funny looking happy guy in the nelson jersey always jumping around with the headphones lol). It would be fun to go to a game with him, but something tells me he would be in his own world during the game.

Just kidding, Big Ern. But seriously, your pre-game must be intense.

old_time_hockey
01-13-2008, 02:32 AM
I hate it when some Giants fans get on visiting fans. And most of the time they are Canucks fans that just came out because the Nucks weren't playing.

I will razz visiting fans. Especially if the road team scores first and their their fans get all puffed up, only to have the Giants score 3 unanswered...but I have been known to buy them a beer at intermission.

But it can go the other way. I had a Tigers fan beak me at the Memorial Cup. Then at the end of the Final I saw him and gave him an ear full. "Dude, why do you have to be so mean?" Those were his exact words. I pointed to the rafters to show him where our Memorial Cup banner was going to hang from.

Toswammi
01-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I have been to Regina a few times, and yeah i have stories that are similar to you too QP+C, heck i know for fact a few posters here have stories that are worse.
Personally I have had garbage thrown at me at the games, and have been threated and beaked in Regina. But i can say that i at least have never been physically confronted there.
Something about that rink, that always leaves a bad taste in the collective mouths of many Bronco fans. I know its not the majority, but as usual the minority can wreck it for all.

TwoBits
01-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Ever go to PA and try to cheer for the Blades? :laugh: You get cussed out by old ladies there. This was in the 90's mind you. Is PA the only rink that has to hang a sign telling their fans to be nice to the opposing players and their fans? Is it still there after the reno.?

I must say though, when we went to the PG game this fall, we were treated EXTREMELY well. Maybe because the Real Cyr fans outnumbered the Raider fans. :laugh: