PDA

View Full Version : Why the change in goaltenders ?

grainbear
01-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Not sure why we are not going with Maniago in net as the senior goaltender ?
Tonights playing Metsola was a bad move. Yes we need to have a goaltender as a backup but really, I think our coachs took Red Deer to lite. Reimer is playing very well and for us to utilize our backup was wrong. Not that he played poorly but really guys and girls This game should never have gone to shootouts, he has to turn up his game or lets have Maniago go with the ball untill he runs out of gas. Our backup will come around next season those shootouts must be won by our goaltenders irregardless of how well Reimer is playing.

canes77
01-13-2008, 01:47 AM
I think they played Metsola because RD was the lowest team in the conference standings. And that our next 3 games are against 3 strong teams where we need Maniago. I know Metsola is the backup but it's probably part of the team's plan to play both guys. Hopefully that 2nd goal given up will teach Metsola to stay focused for 60 minutes, EVEN if the team allows just one shot in 15+ minutes.

I thought Metsola would get the start though, given RD is the weaker team of the 5 on this homestand, but after seeing his play tonight, it is probably his last start for a long time. Hopefully Maniago can now play great like he did in his last few games.

Oh, and I agree, Reimer is a great goalie...but with 40 shots, we have to win these games. I agree with you that I also notice this team takes the lower teams lightly far too often.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Not sure why we are not going with Maniago in net as the senior goaltender ?
Tonights playing Metsola was a bad move. Yes we need to have a goaltender as a backup but really, I think our coachs took Red Deer to lite. Reimer is playing very well and for us to utilize our backup was wrong. Not that he played poorly but really guys and girls This game should never have gone to shootouts, he has to turn up his game or lets have Maniago go with the ball untill he runs out of gas. Our backup will come around next season those shootouts must be won by our goaltenders irregardless of how well Reimer is playing.

I have ranted and raved more than anyone about our stupid goaltending situation and who plays when. However, this was a no brainer starting Metsola. He had not played in like about a month and needed to start sometime. Maniago played the night before and Red Deer is the type of team Juha should play against. Mostly though we don't play again for a week and then have TriCity, Regina and Brandon the next week. Manny must start all those games and if he does that would have meant Juha would not play again until about Jan 27 in Kamloops. That would have been about 6 weeks without a start and that is just not fair and would kill the little guys confidence. The right goalie started this game guys. Riemer was just ridiculous good. He made 4 or 5 unreal saves.
Having said all that Juha was very weak on the 2 shoot out goals. He was unprepared and very poor postiionaly on the first one. Sutter showed his hand early, bobbled the puck and Juha still did not get over to the post in time on the second one. Weak goals for sure.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Like I said above, I rant alot........lol. But just a note about goalies in general. There is absolutely no doubt that on average bigger goalies are better. They just give you less to shoot at automatically. Pucks that a goalie can't see are gonna hit the big guy more often.
That was the case both of the last 2 nights. Edmonton's goalie played good and Reimer played great, but a lot of pucks just happen to hit them where our little goalies have to be bang on on the shot way more often. Manny is a great positional and reflex goalie but sorry folks, he is to small and Metsola well he is tiny. As good as Manny is we will not win the Mem Cup with him and that is what it is all about!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Roy knows this and I would bet the farm, if I had one, that the BIG TRADE that did not come off involved a goalie. We will never know cause since it didn't happen, Roy won't tell us. Why tell and hurt your goalies feelings for nothing.
Now I wiil go rant at the cat, the TV, my fish........anyone that will listen. God knows my wife and kids have tuned me out ages ago........ yeehoo

O&C
01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Well I got to listen to the Canes chat for the second time this year and heard some pretty interesting stuff about this. I agree with Hurricanes Rock on this. Juha needed to start the Rebs game and you cant really pin the lose on him. Yah the second goal was very weak and he was far from steller in the S/O but it wouldnt have even gotten that far if the rest of the team had kept the pressure on in stead of siting back like they did.

The lose on saturday was really frusterating and I understand why you question Metsola starting but it did make sense. What was interesting to me was the comment Roy made about an unnamed 20 year old apparently smashing Juha after the game and blaming the lose on him. Roy said he was going to have a sit down with him this week. Looking through the list of twenties....im thinking it was probably Ben Wright b/c May probably woulnd say somthing like that right after comming to a brand new team and weans isnt even playing anymore. The only other guy if im correct would be Wuchterl...and i guess i could see it comming from him too.

ps. anyone know why Manny didnt wear his painted mask on Friday? I assumed it was b/c we have switched to the home whites for the rest of the year and they felt the white mask might look better.... idk

H-Canes
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I heard that comment also. Ben's only 19 though. Which would make it between Wucterl, Hotson, and May. I heard Manny's wearing the white mask because he is getting a new one painted.

O&C
01-16-2008, 11:40 PM
wow...what was I thinking. For some reason I always think of Wright as a twenty. Im happy to know its not him then since he is the captian. Im sure its not a huge deal, just found it interesting.

And didnt Manny already get his mask painted. I know it wasnt a world class mask but it definatly didnt look bad. Im still a big fan of the cujo style twister that Logan Koopmans had....

H-Canes
01-17-2008, 11:48 AM
yah i would hate to hear a captain say something like that. All i heard was that the job that he got done on the first one wasn't great so they were going to send it away to get a new paint job done by someone else.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-17-2008, 03:09 PM
If I had to bet on which 20 year old made the comment, I would bet it was Hotson. His play has deteriorated since he got here and is probalby feeling the pressure. If it is him, or not, he needs to pick up his game. Portland had a lot of problems in the room and Hotson came from Portland. vc1tt

localguy
01-17-2008, 05:02 PM
If I had to bet on which 20 year old made the comment, I would bet it was Hotson. His play has deteriorated since he got here and is probalby feeling the pressure. If it is him, or not, he needs to pick up his game. Portland had a lot of problems in the room and Hotson came from Portland. vc1tt

Why would you even speculate if you don't know? As far a Hotson's play, he only played a couple game before he got hurt, and they were good games. He has changed lines and produced less since then, but who's to say that the couple games he played after the trade weren;t just a reaction to the trade and now he's back to his normal play. He is now in our defense first system and not getting in the minus column, seems good to me. We need secondary scoring period, and not just from him. We also need goalies who don't let in at least one weak goal per game, and we need a team that plays hard for a full 60. With those things improved we will improve, same old same old. And for the record it was not Hotson or May who made the comments (not just speculation).

moon
01-17-2008, 06:32 PM
And for the record it was not Hotson or May who made the comments (not just speculation).

I would have thought that was obvious from the start but I guess not.

It was a weird comment to make because as I mentioned it seemed pretty clear the guy who would make that comment if you specify that it was a 20 year old.

Was there some context to the comment or did roy just come out a say it?

Again I am not sure what is to gain by going public with it when it clearly wasn't one of the three guys, unlikely to be the other and highly likely that it is the thid guy. Why not just say who it was straight out in that case?

localguy
01-17-2008, 07:28 PM
I personally don't know exactly what was said, but, it seems like an over-reaction buy Roy. From what I did hear, it really wasn;t a big deal, because Juha hasn;t been that good, perhaps he needed a reality check from a vet. Regardless, it should have been dealt with internally, not publicly.

loudi94
01-17-2008, 07:42 PM
I think Roy made an off the cuff comment that he probably shouldn't have. However, I think the player in question may want to look at his own play as of late. Certainly our 20 year olds haven't been all that great. If we had last year's 20's we'd be doing way better.

tyeryan9
01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Roy being Roy is exactly right. He and Dick are alot alike they don't think before they speak. He tries to over manage things and then lacks real people skills with others. Let some things be said they're young men.