PDA

View Full Version : broadcast crew

hockey4
01-13-2008, 01:07 AM
watched the game on webtv, and wanted to comment on the broadcast crew. enjoyed the play by play very much (not sure of the name), very knowledgeable and unbiased, however your color man was one of the worst i have ever listened too. made rude comments about both teams. when fadden came out for shootout he said he didnt like that choice becasue he is too cute. maybe its just me but i dont think color commentators are supposed to provide personal opinions, but rather insight and telling the fans what actually happened. and then, after the game, the disapointment in his voice was very evident when he stated "shootouts are stupid...this point means nothing because they should have beat this hockey club". the play by play guy and him actually had quite a heated exchange after this was said. i understand the hurricanes had the better of the chances, but at the end of the day they didnt win and give credit where credit is due. as im writing this my son tells me he read that the color guy is a BOD with the hurricanes, thats pathedic. complete conflict of interest. sounds more like an attempt to spread propoganda then anything. anyway....cudos to the play by play man, job well done, and to the color commentator, keep your day job bc your brutal

canes77
01-13-2008, 01:38 AM
I agree with you that our play-by-play man is really good...and you're not the first person to mention our colour guy's negativity and bias. I dont mind him myself just because he is a big fan like I am, but I can agree with you how I dislike biased commentators when I listen to a different team's broadcast. Maybe this is part of the team's plan though...to have one biased guy and one unbiased calling the games, who knows? Maybe that's why a guy on the BOD got the job (although the conflict of interest is there ). I guess we will find out on Monday night, because he usually mentions and replys to posts from this site on the radio show. vci34

Thanks for your comments though. I like hearing comments from other team's fans, especially the good comments. :thumb:

PS: Fadden may be a "cute" player BUT thats exactly why a coach should put him in during a shootout. Wow, what else did he say that was bizarre? I dont listen to the home games because Im at the rink.

hockey4
01-13-2008, 03:00 AM
I agree with you that our play-by-play man is really good...and you're not the first person to mention our colour guy's negativity and bias. I dont mind him myself just because he is a big fan like I am, but I can agree with you how I dislike biased commentators when I listen to a different team's broadcast. Maybe this is part of the team's plan though...to have one biased guy and one unbiased calling the games, who knows? Maybe that's why a guy on the BOD got the job (although the conflict of interest is there ). I guess we will find out on Monday night, because he usually mentions and replys to posts from this site on the radio show. vci34

Thanks for your comments though. I like hearing comments from other team's fans, especially the good comments. :thumb:

PS: Fadden may be a "cute" player BUT thats exactly why a coach should put him in during a shootout. Wow, what else did he say that was bizarre? I dont listen to the home games because Im at the rink.

during a shift, in the middle of your play by play man speaking, he interupts "fadden needs to get off the ice" in a very negative, impatient tone. out of the blue. sounds like a know it all, or a better way to put it, talking as if he's on the BOD and has all the answers ;) .

at the end of the game he basically took the loss personally. our team in red deer is quite young and has had to gel with new players, and it took a team effort and great goaltending to win, however he looked at it like we had no business being in the same league as lethbridge and we "fluked" the win. very disappointing that u pay money for that service and listen to retard express his personal opinion. not just towards the rebels but the home team as well. i think its time someone from the organization take time to listen to a home guy so they can hear the garbage that spills out of his mouth.

Nielson11
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
careful what you say guys....Dick Gibson (the color guy)...reads these boards...he may get offensive and bring it up on Canes chat or whatever the weekly show is called down there. pbj pbj pbj

hockey4
01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
careful what you say guys....Dick Gibson (the color guy)...reads these boards...he may get offensive and bring it up on Canes chat or whatever the weekly show is called down there. pbj pbj pbj

You gotta be kidding me. Like does nobody else find that to be a complete conflict of interest??? I hope the people of lethbridge dont look to this guy to actually provide proper insight to his version of hockey. Id bring back the newspaper guy you guys had last year, hes was outstanding but he was good.

I hate to rag about this seeing i only heard him once, but i was shocked.

shushu
01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
it's to say the least an embarrassment , why ANYONE would want him representing us is beyond me......................

tyeryan9
01-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Completely agree! Dick shouldn't be doing the color. It is not the color guys job to say "we" over 50 times a broadcast. Pat isn't great but he tries. I think he's dealt a tough hand. Dick interrupts him all the time. Completely 1 sided. I get it and know that the home radio team generally wants their team to win. No dispute with that. But this is the WHL, you require some professionalism. DIck shows none. He just cheers and interrpts Pat and tries to be a fan throughout the whole broadcast. Not good enough at all. Compare the Canes broadcasts to other teams in the league and it's disappointing.

TR

hockeygurl1976
01-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Congrats to everyone for saying what many of us in Lethbridge are thinking!! It is a MAJOR conflict of interest to have a BOD as the color man. It is very difficult listening to the broacasts because of the negativity towards the Canes by the color man. For example, he made the comment on a game a week or so ago that the "Canes stunk up the place". This type of comment is not necessary. I don't want to hear his personal opinions, I want to hear what is going on in the game. Dick is a nice enough guy, but may not be the right fit for this job.

grainbear
01-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Not sure what too say about all the negativity on Dick.Yes he is biased, yes, he is controversial, and of course we don,t agree with everything he says. So, what is the problem . Now, he is certainly not Don Cherry but the same things could all be said about him. Listen to him through the rose colored glasses and realize that it is only his opinion. You have just as much to contribute to our conversations as him but lets avoid the character assassinations. Go Canes go ,

hockeygurl1976
01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Don Cherry is an intermission analyst. He is expected to voice his opinions, whether they are right or wrong. Color Commentators are expected to provide us listeners with a description of what is going on during the game in front of them. The color man position is more about facts rather than personal opinions. It is great that Dick expresses his opinions, but that is more suited for the intermission and pre & post game shows, not during the game. Pat & Dick should not act like Ron Maclean & Don Cherry during the game.

GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hockey4
01-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Not sure what too say about all the negativity on Dick.Yes he is biased, yes, he is controversial, and of course we don,t agree with everything he says. So, what is the problem . Now, he is certainly not Don Cherry but the same things could all be said about him. Listen to him through the rose colored glasses and realize that it is only his opinion. You have just as much to contribute to our conversations as him but lets avoid the character assassinations. Go Canes go ,

from an outsider perspective, the problem lies in the an "owner" of the team is doing the broadcasts. those who have a close connection to the team take the game personally and therefore can become too emotional (bandwagonish). don cherry can comment all he wants, he has no connection to the team he talks about.

Chicken on a Chain
01-14-2008, 12:12 AM
I just can't wait for the radio show tommorrow!! I am going to set my alarm so I don't miss it!! It should be a doozie!!

captain blog
01-14-2008, 03:18 AM
what time is the radio show?

canes77
01-14-2008, 05:28 AM
I believe 7pm til 8pm on 94.1 FM

canes77
01-14-2008, 05:33 AM
I hope the people of lethbridge dont look to this guy to actually provide proper insight to his version of hockey. Id bring back the newspaper guy you guys had last year, hes was outstanding but he was good.

I believe in the past we alternated colour guys, including Trevor of the Lethbridge Herald during some home games, I always enjoyed listening to him and reading his articles. He usually seems to be able to get the right answers out of GM's and coaches, better than many other guys.

I think because of Dick's full time job, he never goes on the road trips, so you guys can listen to Pat on his own coming up on the two big road trips.

pbj

tyeryan9
01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Dick won't say anything tonight. He thinks he's good, but really ins't. His way of combatting his critics which is pretty much all the listeners will be to not say anything.

TR