PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts/grades on those who remain

SectionNDeserter
01-14-2008, 08:41 AM
I know you guys have all been thinking "Hey, I wonder what SectionNDeserter's thoughts are on the post-deadline players, and I wonder what letter grades he would give them all?!?". Well here you go! I have omitted the players that just joined the team at the deadline, as I really haven't seen enough of them here to form an opinion one way or another.

Colin Archer - D
Grade - C+
With the departure of Matt Strong, he is probably our least "skilled" defenseman on the roster. Colin's real strength doesn't lie in his skill, but rather his work ethic and his hockey sense. He reminds me of Bryce Thoma at times in this respect. I would anticipate him being on the team next season.

Luke Egener - D
Grade - C+
I have arguably been his biggest critic this season (besides maybe some of the fans I have heard yelling for him to get off the ice earlier in the year). Had you asked me to grade him earlier in the season, it would have been an F for sure. He still makes baffling passes to the other team/nobody when he does pass the puck more than 10 feet, he still doesn't block shots much, and he still waves at the opposition point shots with his stick at times and he doesn't always cut off even one passing lane on the penalty kill. Where he has improved his game however, is his play on the boards and he has grabbed the puck the odd time now and skated it out of their zone to get it out. That being said, there is far too many pieces of the puzzle missing with this guy, and I can't imagine that he will be back as an overage player, with the wealth of 19's that some teams have that will be overage next season.

Cody Esposito - F
Grade - C
I see a few of the things that got this young man to the WHL. He skates well for a big guy, particularly with the puck. He will fight pretty much anyone (as he showed in the last Moose Jaw game where he challenged McLaren). He does however, need to find an identity if he plans on sticking in the WHL next season, as he doesn't hit or stay with his man well enough to be considered a checker, and he lacks the finish that would be needed for him to be a scorer/playmaker.

Landon Ferraro - F
Grade - B+
This young man has a great pedigree and a bright future ahead of him. He seems to have all the physical tools, and has shown a few 'game-breaking' moves at times.

Joel Kot - D
Grade - B
Hockey players, especially the little guys need to be in top physical condition to compete in the WHL. Unfortunately Joel's season has been abbreviated by injuries. I loved the element this guy brought to the back end when he was healthy and in the lineup, I hope he can recover from this current injury and return to form again next season.

Mike Krgorvich - F
Grade - B
Great wheels, never stops skating, finishes his checks. Still needs to get a bit bigger/stronger, but is already one of the cornerstones of the Rebels impressive penalty killing this season.

Mark Louis - D
Grade - B+
This guy just oozes class. Comes over from one of the top teams in the east to a last place team in the central, and continues to plug along, playing his game.

Cass Mappin - F
Grade - B-
I think I am not unlike many other Rebel fans when I say that a former first rounder that gets as much ice time as he does should be putting up more points. However, he is an absolute beast on the boards, dominating the other team there on most nights. Also he is another player that is a big reason for our exceptional penalty killing record this season.

Cullen Morin - D
Grade - D-
Not totally sure what has gone wrong with Cullen, but he displayed a tremendous amount more poise with the puck last season as a 17 year old rookie than he has at any point this season. He loses board battles all the time to the smallest and rookiest of opposition players, has struggled in moving the puck effectively to his teammates and has not used his great point shot to its potential (the latter two also being what a defenseman like him NEEDS to be doing well). Barring a complete turnaround in the second half of the season, I can't imagine that he won't be moved in the offseason.

[continued]

SectionNDeserter
01-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Tyler Penny - F
Grade - B-
Another speedster that has been key to our penalty kill, great worker and has shown that he has a bit of a nose for the net at times.

Tomas Polak - F
Grade - C
Has shown flashes of being a dominant player, but seems to lack the hockey sense required to play at this level, demonstrated by the amount of time he spends skating with his head down. If he even bounces back from this latest concussion setback, I can't help but think he will be replaced by the Rebels almost certain high import draft pick next season.

Mike Scarborough - D
Grade D+
Saw a lot of improvement in his game from his first game to his last game last season, but have seen very little or none from the start of this season till now. He struggles a great deal in both gaining control of the puck in his own zone, and getting it out without turning it over/icing it, which usually leads to the puck not leaving his end of the ice the entire time he is out there. I think with all the young talent on the back end coming in next season (D. Perreault, T. Wilfong, A. Petrovic), that this young man needs to get this turned around fast before the end of the season.

Carter Smith - F
Grade - B+
As one time WHL castoffs go, this guy has been phenominal! He is often one of the hardest workers, a decent penalty killer and has put a few points up to boot. He is really a slightly bigger/stronger version of Scott Doucet, which I think is what made dealing Doucet at the deadline a lot easier to swallow.

Brandon Sutter - F
Grade - B+
What can I say, he is one of the elite two-way forwards in the league. He hasn't been absolutely dominating the league on the scoresheet, which is really the only thing keeping me from giving him an A

Justin Weller - D
Grade - B
I like what I see in this young man's future. He hasn't dazzled us with anything fancy thus far, but he is very physically mature for a 16 year old, which gives him a huge headstart over a lot of other players in the league.

Brennan Wray - F
Grade - C+
His ability to win faceoffs from the 3rd/4th line last season was a boon to the Rebels, but with some improvement in the team in this area this season he has been a smaller part of the big picture. I have liked the jump he has had the last few games, but I have to wonder if it will be enough to earn him a roster spot next season.

Morgan Clark - G
Grade - B-
He has seen a lot more rubber this season than a lot of coaches generally like to see a young goalie face. He is a 'flashier' goaltender than most, but he needs to improve his consistancy.

James Reimer - G
Grade - A
He has my vote for team MVP this season. He got off to a bit of a slow start, but he has dominated a position on a team that hasn't helped him out on a lot of nights. I hope he is back next season.