PDA

View Full Version : Broncos still looking for answers

ointhecreek
01-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Broncos still looking for answer
Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Monday, January 14, 2008
Head coach/GM Dean Chynoweth has tapped multiple outside sources in search of the right competitive mix for the Swift Current Broncos.

The rest will have to flow from within.

"It has to click in eventually," Chynoweth said following Saturday's 4-2 loss to the host Regina Pats. "For stretches in the first half I think it fell on deaf ears. Now we're starting to see that, but we're starting to get frustrated because now we're not scoring so it's magnified. That's our conference. It's extremely tight. The difference between winning and losing is very small."
Chynoweth bolstered his offence earlier this season by trading for top-line wingers Keegan Dansereau and Erik Felde. He put the finishing touches on his roster at Thursday's trade deadline by acquiring veteran defencemen Bretton Stamler and Jesse Dudas. The moves rounded out a team that already boasted one of the deepest and most-explosive lineups in the WHL, but has struggled at times to keep the puck out of its own net.

"The things we did we feel we didn't give up a lot and we feel we're a better team than we were before (the deadline)," said Chynoweth. "We're pleased with that but we still have a lot of work to do as a group finding ways to win."

Chynoweth believes the talent is in place. The key for his players is to not lean so heavily on that talent and embrace a style of game that's more conducive to long-term success.

"Obviously we need to shore up our team defence," he said. "You look at a lot of our games and we teeter back and forth from a few wins and then a few losses. The games that we're losing, there have been quite a few defensive breakdowns where we're not committed in one end. We want to get going the other way and score. For me, the offence starts in your own end. Our offence has dried up a little bit and that's because we're not working hard enough in our end."

Chynoweth lamented the fact that his team failed to capitalize on its chances against Regina while also taking too many penalties. It was the first meeting between the teams since the trade deadline, when the Pats added six new faces to their lineup.

"I think they instantly got better," said Chynoweth. "Any time you can move some of your youth to get those veteran experienced players that you insert in your lineup right away naturally you're going to be a much-improved hockey club. The challenge with a lot of teams is, where do you find icetime and situations to keep everybody happy? We're no different."

After flirting with the top teams in the Eastern Conference earlier this season, the Broncos have dropped to the eighth and final playoff spot at 22-19-0-5. However, just nine points separate the eighth seed and the No. 2 Pats.

"It's very competitive," said Chynoweth. "It's going to be very tough to climb in the standings. Everybody for the most part is playing pretty good hockey. Some teams, especially Moose Jaw, has a very favourable schedule. Obviously you have to look after your own business but I don't see many teams in that group of eight that are going to fall right off.

"It's exciting and it's a great way to challenge and motivate your group. I still think Regina, Brandon and Moose Jaw have separated themselves and we need to try to compete to keep ourselves in that group. Where that falls in the conference, it'll show up over time."