PDA

View Full Version : Gendur finds his Scoring touch

Tipped Off
01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I'll hav eto read this tonight to my 4-year-old. We play hockey in the living room every night and he always pretends he is Dan Gendur...

Everett's Gendur finds his scoring touch

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT -- Dan Gendur went home at the Christmas break a shell of the player he's capable of being. The points may have been there, but his actual influence on games did not match his numbers.

But Gendur returned from the break a changed man, and now he's being the impact scorer the Everett Silvertips hoped he'd be from the beginning.

Gendur's been on a scoring binge the past three weeks, playing a key role in the Tips getting headed back in a positive direction.

Since returning from the break Gendur has seven goals and eight assists in 10 games. Take away pointless outings in the first two games of the second half and he's averaging nearly two points per contest in his past eight appearances. His recent hot streak gave the 20-year-old right wing 47 points in 37 games, surpassing Kyle Beach for the team lead in points per game.

"It's been going well," Gendur said of his recent play. "I really needed the Christmas break for rest. I just looked at myself in the mirror and thought of what I needed to do more for the team. Hopefully I'm doing that."

Gendur was also fighting a nagging shoulder injury that sidelined him twice during the first half of the season, forcing him to the sidelines for a total of nine games. That played a part in Gendur going through a 12-game goal-less drought just before the first half of the season ended.

"It was a little tough coming back from my shoulder injury," Gendur said. "It was pretty weak at the start, but now it's 100 percent.

"I just think I'm playing with a little bit more passion and energy, and it's always nice to be healthy."

Everett's gotten good results during Gendur's scoring stretch, going 6-2 in its last eight games. However, Tips coach John Becanic is still looking for more from Gendur and his linemates, Zach Hamill and Clayton Bauer.

"He's scoring goals and that's certainly part of his game, so I'm happy about that," Becanic said of Gendur. "But I still think that line has to pick up it's compete level. Their game can't be one dimensional, just be a line that scores goals -- although we'll take the goals. It has to be better all-around. That challenge is going to be put forth (today) against Spokane."

Early departure: Everett changed up its normal travel schedule for games in Spokane. Usually the Tips depart for Spokane the morning of games. However, this time Everett left a day early, hitting the road after Tuesday's practice, giving the team a full night in Spokane before the game.

"We've done that before in the past," Becanic explained. "With the (mountain) pass this time of year there's just no predictions on how long it's going to take. It's a long trip with good weather, with bad weather of any sort it could be an eight-hour drive. It's just too much to risk."

It also may be an indication of how significant an opponent the Tips are facing. Spokane is currently the top-ranked team the Western Major Junior Hockey Writers Association poll and ranked No. 2 in the entire Canadian Hockey League.

"Absolutely," Gendur answered when asked if he thought the opponent played a role in Everett's itinerary. "Spokane's a top team in all the CHL and we're just looking to maybe knock them out of that spot.

"It's nice to get settled and not have to worry about bus legs," Gendur added about the early arrival, "so there will be no excuses."

Health update: Everett center Vitali Karamnov and defenseman Tyler Kieffer are both due back for today's game. Karamnov and Kieffer did not travel with the team for Sunday's 5-0 victory in Portland because of ear infections.

Center Zack Dailey is the most recent player afflicted by illness as he did not practice Tuesday. However, he did travel with the team and the Tips hope he'll be available tonight.

Slap shots: Becanic was fined $500 by the league Tuesday for his comments following Friday's 3-1 loss to Seattle, during which he criticized the officiating and described the calls as "Mickey Mouse." ... The Tips, in conjunction with TOP Food & Drug, Haggen Food and Pharmacy and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, collected a total of 3,155 boxes of macaroni and cheese at Friday's game. The boxes, which filled two large dumpsters, will be donated to Snohomish County food banks.