PDA

View Full Version : Right Decision For Rumsey

Scout
01-17-2008, 07:52 AM
By Jesse Watts

It was just too big an opportunity to pass up.

That’s how Myles Rumsey felt when, after wrapping up a four-year Western Hockey League career with the Swift Current Broncos, he decided to enroll at his hometown University of Manitoba and play Canadian Interuniversity Sport hockey with the Manitoba Bisons.

After his final WHL season in 2006-07, Rumsey could have sought out professional opportunities in Europe or other North American minor pro hockey leagues. However, the 21-year-old from Winnipeg, MB, also had the option of using the scholarship money he accumulated during his four years in the WHL to attend university and continue playing hockey.

“It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have that kind of scholarship money available to you,” said Rumsey, who was drafted by the Calgary Flames in 2005 but never signed a professional contract. “To go to university and not have to go into debt is such a huge thing.”

Rumsey was simply taking advantage of what all WHL players are entitled to.

For every season a player plays in the WHL, they receive a full year scholarship, including tuition, textbooks and compulsory fees, to a post-secondary institution of their choice. Having played four seasons in the WHL, Rumsey accumulated four years worth of scholarship money – enough to see him through a four-year degree program.

“(WHL graduates) have the benefit of the scholarship, and you might as well put it to full use because, you know what, a lot can happen when you play pro hockey. You can get injured, or you might not be able to make it,” said the 6’ 2”, 205-lb defenseman. “All in all, I think I did the right thing by choosing to go to school and further my education, and keep playing hockey.”

Opting to attend the U of M and play for the Bisons meant Rumsey had to get used to a new lifestyle. Not only would hockey still be a big part of his daily life, but he’d also need to get used to being a full-time student again. Rumsey said it was a difficult transition at first, but now he’s learning to balance the two.

“It’s a huge change going from playing hockey every day to going to classes all the time,” said Rumsey, who is currently enrolled in Open Studies. “It’s a lot of fun, though, and I really like the atmosphere.

“When I first got here, I was like a deer caught in headlights, and I didn’t know what to do or expect, but, after the first month you star to get used to it and you get more comfortable.

“You have to relax and take it day by day,” he said.

On the ice, Rumsey has fit right in with the Bisons. A steady, defensive defenseman, Rumsey has helped the Bisons stay right in the thick of the Canada West Conference with a respectable 9-8-1 record through their first 18 games of the Conference schedule.

“There are a lot of very good hockey players in the League – guys like Eric Hunter and Chris Falloon – and it’s a very competitive League,” said Rumsey, who is one of 17 WHL graduates on the Bisons’ roster. “It’s a faster game in University than in the WHL, the guys are bigger and stronger, and it’s good hockey.”

Less than a year removed from his days in Swift Current, Rumsey still has lots of friends in Speedy Creek and on the Broncos. While schoolwork and hockey eat up a lot of his time nowadays, Rumsey still takes the opportunity to keep up with how his former team is doing.

“I was just in Brandon watching the (Broncos) play,” said Rumsey, who suited up for 262 regular-season games and another 15 playoff games for the Broncos between 2002 and 2007. “I still keep in touch with some of the guys on the team.

“One of the things I really loved about playing in the Dub was all the guys you’d meet from all over the place, and all the friendships you make that still last today,” he said.

Flathead
01-17-2008, 10:38 PM
What a great young man Rumsey is, keep up the good work Rumsey and all the best to you.