PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Highlights

Scout
01-17-2008, 07:59 AM
with Gregg Drinnan

Wednesday's highlights . . .

WEDNESDAY’S HIGHLIGHTS:

In Edmonton, RW Michael Stickland scored twice to give the Kootenay Ice a 2-1 victory over the Oil Kings. . . . Stickland broke a scoreless tie at 11:12 of the third period and added insurance at 15:40. . . . That second goal turned out to be needed as LW Breitkreuz scored his 13th goal at 19:16. . . . Stickland has 16 goals for the Ice (27-15-3-0), which has won four of five. . . . The Oil Kings (15-23-3-6) have lost four straight but, in today’s hockey lingo, actually are 2-3-0-2 in their last seven games. . . . Kootenay G Kris Lazaruk stopped 29 shots, six fewer than Edmonton’s Alex Archibald. . . . Edmonton, with just three healthy defencemen, lost D Cameron Cepek (shoulder) in the first period. . . . The Oil Kings moved F J.P. Szaszkiewicz and F Brent Henke back to defence and had D Mark Pysyk, the third player chosen in the 2007 bantam draft, in the lineup. . . . According to Jeff Bromley of the Kootenay NewsAdvertiser: “Tylan Stephens, one of the Ice’s top forwards all-around of late was a healthy scratch for off-ice/discipline issues.” . . .

In Chilliwack, the Bruins broke a 2-2 tie with three third-period goals and beat the Seattle Thunderbirds, 5-2. . . . The Bruins (21-19-3-1) had lost two in a row and now are sixth in the Western Conference, two points ahead of the Thunderbirds (19-16-5-1) and the idle Kamloops Blazers. . . . Chilliwack LW Mark Santorelli drew four assists and pulled into a tie with Kelowna Rockets C Colin Long for the WHL points lead. Each has 69 points. . . . Chilliwack D Nick Holden broke a 2-2 tie with a PP goal, at 2:47 of the third period. He added his 11th goal of the season two minutes later. . . . Bruins C Oscar Moller had a goal, his 26th, and two helpers. . . . The Bruins had G Luke Siemens, a seventh-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft, backing up starter Mark Friesen. That’s because Matt Esposito may be concussed after taking a shot off his mask a week ago in Kelowna. . . . The Bruins have released Czech D David Hoda, 18. The 10th overall pick in the CHL’s 2007 import draft, he couldn’t get into the lineup on a regular basis. . . .

In Moose Jaw, D Ty Wishart’s second goal of the game, on a third-period power play, lifted the Warriors to a 5-4 victory over the Prince Albert Raiders. . . . The Warriors (24-13-4-4) have won three in a row. They are 3-0 versus the Raiders this season. . . . The Raiders (15-27-3-2) have lost five straight. . . . Prince Albert scored three straight third-period goals, in a span of 1:45, to lead 4-3. . . . C Riley Holzapfel, who also had two assists, tied it for Moose Jaw at 12:42 and Wishart won it at 14:25. . . . C Matt Robertson got his 20th of the season for the Raiders. . . .

In Prince George, the Portland Winter Hawks snapped a four-game losing streak by beating the Cougars 3-2 in a game that went to the circus. . . . Czech LW Radim Valchar tied the game at 1:17 of the third period and then was the only one of 10 shooters to have success in the circus. . . . The Cougars (14-29-1-1) had beaten the Winter Hawks 5-2 on Tuesday to end a six-game losing slide. P.G. is 14 points out of a playoff spot. . . . The Winter Hawks are 9-35-0-1. . . . Prince George got two goals from F Justin Maylan, a 16-year-old who came over from the Moose Jaw Warriors at the trade deadline. He gave the Cougars a 2-0 lead in the first period. . . . G Ian Curtis, who was acquired from the Swift Current Broncos, stopped 26 shots as he made his third straight start for the Cougars. . . . Portland G Kurtis Mucha stopped 28 shots. . . . The Cougars were without head coach Drew Schoneck, who was ill. Part-time assistant Brent Arsenault, an elementary school principal, joined assistant coach Wade Klippenstein behind the bench. . . . The Cougars lost RW Ryan Kowalski in the first period after a boarding major and game misconduct, and D Art Bidlevskii left in the second period with a suspected separated shoulder. . . . The Winter Hawks, with three defencemen hurt, had C Chris Francis playing on the back end. . . .

In Saskatoon, the Blades got a goal from D Sam Klassen in the 13th round of the circus and beat the Vancouver Giants, 2-1. . . . The Blades (16-27-2-1) had lost their previous two games. . . . The Giants (31-9-1-5) had won two in a row. . . . With the Blades shooting first in each round, Saskatoon G Braden Holtby stopped Vancouver F Craig Cunningham to wrap it up. . . . Holtby made 11 saves in the shootout. . . . Saskatoon hit three posts in the circus and Vancouver hit two. . . . Vancouver G Tyson Sexsmith stopped 10 shooters but was beaten three times. . . . The Giants had the game’s first 12 shots but Holtby was solid. . . . Saskatoon freshman F Curtis Hamilton scored a PP goal at 14:44 of the first period. . . . Vancouver D Brent Regner answered with a PP goal 45 seconds into the third period. . . . Through OT, Vancouver held a 37-25 edge in shots. . . . Saskatoon RW Walker Wintoneak (shoulder) sat this one out. He was injured Tuesday on a check from Moose Jaw Warriors D Keaton Ellerby. That check resulted in a broken pane of glass. . . .

I stand to be corrected on this – and, please, don’t be afraid to do so if necessary – but I think the Saskatoon-Vancouver 13-round shootout is a new WHL record. I couldn’t find a category for shootouts in the WHL record book, but I know that two previous games went 12 rounds. The Portland Winter Hawks beat the visiting Kamloops Blazers 3-2 in the 12th round on Oct. 1, 2006, and the visiting Everett Silvertips went 12 rounds to get past the Seattle Thunderbirds, 5-4, on Dec. 27, 2006. . . . If you know of a game that went 12 or more rounds, please e-mail me at gdrinnan@kamloopsnews.ca. . . .

In Spokane, LW Lukas Vartovnik broke a 1-1 tie at 12:04 of the third period to give the Everett Silvertips a 2-1 victory over the Chiefs. . . . Spokane is 31-9-1-3. . . . The Silvertips (25-20-0-2) have won five of their last six games. . . . Vartovnik, a Russian freshman, has seven goals. . . . Everett C Zach Hamill got the game’s first goal, at 5:25 of the first period. . . . Spokane LW Drayson Bowman tied it with his 30th at 5:08 of the second. . . . Everett G Leland Irving stopped 39 shots, while Spokane’s Dustin Tokarski turned aside 20. . . . Spokane C Chris Bruton, just back from a three-game suspension, received a match penalty for attempt to injure as the game ended. That was for a punch that knocked Everett F Kyle Beach to the ice. He was down for a few minutes and left wearing a neck support. . . . The Chiefs maintain Beach started things by shoving Spokane C Mitch Wahl. . . . "I saw two punches -- one punch with a glove on and (another) punch with a glove on," Spokane head coach Bill Peters told Jessica Brown of the Spokane Spokesman-Chronicle. "I'd be shocked if there's (a suspension on Bruton) from that -- absolutely shocked. Let's not kid ourselves, you talk about acting 101. You get knocked down, you get up, that's hockey." . . .

In Swift Current, RW Dale Weise scored three times and set up another as the Broncos whipped the Red Deer Rebels, 9-3. . . . Red Deer actually scored first in this one and then gave up seven straight goals, including six in a 12:26 span of the first period. . . . The Broncos (23-19-0-5) had lost two in a row. They are 4-0 versus Red Deer this season. . . . The Rebels (13-29-4-1) had won their previous two games. . . . Weise has 23 goals. . . . Swift Current D Jesse Dudas had just one assist but finished plus-5. On the other side of the coin, Red Deer D Justin Weller was minus-6. . . . The Broncos got two goals from RW Mike Brown and two assists from each of D Eric Doyle, C Justin Dowling, LW Erik Felde, D Derek Claffey and C David Stieler. . . . D Ryan Molle was back in the Swift Current lineup after missing time with a knee injury suffered while blocking a shot.

Scout
01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Courtesy Alan Caldwell

Thursday, January 17, 2008
Wednesday night
Couple notes from last night's games....

First, the Vancouver at Saskatoon game probably set a new WHL record with a 26-player shootout required to decide the game. Each team used 13 of their 18 skaters before the shootout was over - and in fact, each team only had 17 skaters available for the shootout since they had both had a player ejected earlier in the game.

Most teams seem to have four or five guys who know what they're doing in a shootout, and after that it becomes a crapshoot with a bunch of guys who may or may not have any useable moves....and a lot of average players will tell you that when it comes to shootouts, they sit on the bench and pray the coach doesn't tap their shoulder next, because they know they're not very good at it. Still, how bad do you have to be at shootouts to be the coach's 14th through 17th choices on your team? Last night, the only shooters who didn't get to shoot for the Giants were James Henry, R.J. LaRochelle, Stefan Schneider, and Craig Schira. For the Blades, not shooting were Mike Reich, John Flatters, Mitch Berg, and Kevin Philp. Vancouver's James Wright and Saskatoon's Teigan Zahn were not able to take part since they were thrown out of the game in the 3rd period for fighting.

The NHL's longest shootout was a 15-round affair between the Rangers and Capitals in November 2005, a shootout which the Rangers' Marek Malik won with a really pretty goal.

The other incident last night was an ugly one in Spokane, which saw Chiefs captain Chris Bruton punch Everett pest Kyle Beach in the head at the final buzzer. Beach was down for a while and eventually left the ice with a neck brace on, and Bruton got a match penalty for attempt to injure. Under league rules, Bruton is suspended until the league reviews and rules on the incident, which I'm sure will happen today or tomorrow.

Depending on who you talk to, the punch was or was not of the sucker variety....I haven't seen it so I won't comment. What drew my attention though are the comments from Chiefs coach Bill Peters after the game. You can read them in Chiefs beat writer Jessica Brown's game story, which she has posted on her Chiefs blog. About Beach's injury, Peters says, "Let’s not kid ourselves, you talk about acting 101. You get knocked down, you get up, that’s hockey.”

OK....we all know Beach has a reputation for embellishing things, and this may or may not be another case of that. The league will review the tape and decide if it is. But, why is Peters saying this kind of thing unless he had some kind of proof that Beach was in fact not hurt. Hate him or not, it's a 17 year old kid who might have been injured to the point of needing a neck brace. If the league reviews the incident and decides that it was a sucker punch and suspends Bruton, I kind of hope Peters joins him in being disciplined. I'm not a fan of either Everett or Spokane but I think talking that way about somebody who has been injured is over the line.