PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Roll Over Red Deer

Scout
01-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Broncos roll over Rebels
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos blitzed the cellar-dwelling Red Deer Rebels with six consecutive first period goals in a 9-3 blowout of the visiting Rebels.
After giving up the game’s opening goal, the Broncos stormed back to score six straight goals over a 12:06 span of the first period to take control of the game.
Dale Weise led the Broncos with a hat trick performance, connecting for his 21st, 22nd and 23rd goals of the season. Rookie Mike Brown had a two-goal performance in the win, scoring his second and third goals of the season. Swift Current also had goals from Zack Smith, Geordie Wudrick, Jan Dalecky and recently acquired Bretton Stamler with his second of the campaign.
Red Deer’s Colby Kulhanek scored on a powerplay 2:07 into the opening period, while Brandon Sutter connected for his team leading 15th goal of the season in the middle frame, and Troy Ofukany added a shorthanded goal in the third period.
Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman earned his 19th victory of the season by turning aside 17 of 20 shots.
Rebels starting goaltender James Reimer gave up the six first period goals on 12 shots and he ended up turing aside 29 of 38 shots in the loss. Morgan Clark stopped four of four shots he faced during a 1:40 replacement stint in goal.
The win improves Swift Current’s eighth place Eastern Conference record to 23-19-0-5, while Red Deer remains last in the Eastern Conference at 13-29-4-1.

Scout
01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Keen's Korner

Thursday, January 17, 2008
Six Pack 1st Period Carries Broncos to Victory
For all intensive purposes, last night's game vs the Red Deer Rebels was over after the 1st period.

The Broncos gave up the first goal just 2:07 in when Brandon Sutter's powerplay point shot rebounded of the back wall to a wide open Colby Kulhanek for the empty-netter. After that, the Broncos took over.

Six goals in a span of 12:16 put the Broncos up for good. Zack Smith got the parade started at 4:27, followed by Geordie Wudrick's 10th, Bretton Stamler's 1st as a Bronco at 8:18. Dale Wiese scored two pretty goals back-to-back at 10:00 and 14:48 His first picked up huge style points for his between the legs dangle on Rebels D Mike Scarborough. Mike Brown completed the flurry at 16:43 with his first of two on the evening.

It was a rough night for Rebels goaltender James Reimer. Coming in on a big-time roll as the WHL Player of the Week, Reimer had a let down game and was temporarily replaced for a couple minutes after the Broncos fourth goal. Morgan Clark played a couple of minutes before Reimer went back between the pipes.

The win was the Broncos 4th in a row on home ice as they prepare for a battle with the Vancouver Giants Saturday night.

------------

- I talked to Rebels Coach Brian Sutter post-game. He had some interesting thoughts on the night. He told me he left Reimer for the whole game because they win and lose as a team. Reimer's been getting a lot of the glory around there for the last couple wins. The reigning WHL Player of the Week was shelled in the game in front of a young, inexperienced blueline. Was Sutter perhaps sending a bit of a message to his veteran goaltender? Not sure but it looked that way.

- Some late first period fireworks led to a couple of tilts. Levi Nelson hit Rebels D Juraj Valach pretty hard from behind as Valach touched up the puck on delayed penalty going to his team. Nelson didn't let up on the check in front of the Rebels bench and I don't blame them for reacting. The score is 6-1, you're about to take another penalty and an opposition player hits you late and from behind in front of you're own bench? That's a recipe for disaster.

Geordie Wudrick was on the wrong end with a bigger, stronger Cody Esposito while Matt Tassone wrestled with another Rebel player on the ice. Bretton Stamler had a tussle with Brennan Wray - it was deemed the 2nd fight of the melee and both players were handed game misconducts. Meanwhile Levi Nelson somehow escaped the entire incident with his gloves on and unscathed! I hope he thanked his teammates after that one. Levi actually played a pretty physical game and handed out a ton of hits.

- Brandon Sutter played a strong game and was in on all three Rebel goals. The 1st round pick of the Carolina Hurricanes still has some physical maturing to do before he makes the jump to pro hockey. Expect him back with the Rebels next season.

- Good to see Mike Brown up his goal total from one to three on the season after last night's game. The big, thick kid out of Calgary is a guy you can't help but cheer for. He has a great attitude and apparently has been busting it at practice big time lately.

That's all I can muster up this morning,

Have a good'er,

Jon

dodywood4ever
01-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Big Ern poop his bed? May not always agree with him but I am missing his recap today. As an employee of the city of saskatoon I have alot of time for reading.

Big Ern
01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Big Ern poop his bed? May not always agree with him but I am missing his recap today. As an employee of the city of saskatoon I have alot of time for reading.

haha Very funny. I always thought city employees had it easy. lol

But yeah....even Big Ern sometimes takes a night off. I was dead tired last night, so I decided to ditch the recap this time. :S

I can say however, this is the real team we have here....what was seen last night. STACKED!! Let's hope they can put a few wins together here.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Toswammi
01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Ern in a white Postma jersey = success

Ern in the jacket, pacing like a coach = no success

Ahh, just buggin ya Ern...:p

Chuckles
01-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Ern in a white Postma jersey = success

Ern in the jacket, pacing like a coach = no success

Ahh, just buggin ya Ern...:p

Ya know i have to agree with ya Toooswammi.. but yeah pretty crazy.. threw his hat on the ice.. to.. shades of that old fan in big ern coming back i hope so.. its nice to see.. We can always use more loud fans...Ya know waht i'm saying there bud

transplantedbronco
01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
So as I always do sometimes I need to give credit where credit is due. And I have to give credit to Dean. The line combos finally made sense and the boys were fired right up. Without making a long post as most people already know how I feel on the Coach issue I will end it with a statement to Dean. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG DEANO...PROVE ME WRONG.

dubfan
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Entertaining game, goals, scraps and lots of action. Of important note, very good crowd for Wednesday, keep up the good work Jordan and Tracy, with the promos, get the people in the rink, they will buy the food and will most likely come back. The players feed off the fans it goes both ways loud enthusiastic fans will help the team. The rink is taking shape, they need the eastend bathrooms as that is where the beer drinkers are! Is there going to a concession at the east end as well? What is going to happen with dressing rooms and training facility (player needs to keep up with WHL standards) I would lik eto see a video scoreboard (for the fans and extra ad revenue). PA has a lower roof line similar to the I plex and they have video. Should be a good game on Saturday.

ointhecreek
01-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Entertaining game, goals, scraps and lots of action. Of important note, very good crowd for Wednesday, keep up the good work Jordan and Tracy, with the promos, get the people in the rink, they will buy the food and will most likely come back. The players feed off the fans it goes both ways loud enthusiastic fans will help the team. The rink is taking shape, they need the eastend bathrooms as that is where the beer drinkers are! Is there going to a concession at the east end as well? What is going to happen with dressing rooms and training facility (player needs to keep up with WHL standards) I would lik eto see a video scoreboard (for the fans and extra ad revenue). PA has a lower roof line similar to the I plex and they have video. Should be a good game on Saturday.
It's amazing what a crowd a $2 ticket will bring. Seeing as I have a season ticket and couldn't find anyone that didn't already have a ticket, I gave it to someone at the door. I agree with just about everything, especially the need for Bathrooms on east side!. One thing tho, there isn't much food to buy, no burgers, or fries and limited popcorn. They must be losing potential profits because the city won't push to get things done.
Crowd was nice. Would be nice to find someone to sponsor cheaper tickets like Safeway use to do. I know in the Hat the co-op use to sell tickets to tiger games for $8 if you filled up but You had to get there early, sold out fast.

Flathead
01-17-2008, 10:31 PM
It's amazing what a crowd a $2 ticket will bring. Seeing as I have a season ticket and couldn't find anyone that didn't already have a ticket, I gave it to someone at the door. I agree with just about everything, especially the need for Bathrooms on east side!. One thing tho, there isn't much food to buy, no burgers, or fries and limited popcorn. They must be losing potential profits because the city won't push to get things done.
Crowd was nice. Would be nice to find someone to sponsor cheaper tickets like Safeway use to do. I know in the Hat the co-op use to sell tickets to tiger games for $8 if you filled up but You had to get there early, sold out fast.
Imagine that you find a way to lower the ticket prices and the fans come out! I think some posters around here have been saying that for a long time. It was nice to see that many fans out on a Wednesday night.