PDA

View Full Version : Jan 18 2008 Giants 1 Warriors 6

dondo
01-18-2008, 10:51 PM
It was an ugly one tonight as the Giants ran out of steam. Their back-up had an awful outing and the team lost their identity playing soft and sloppy hockey on the road. I listened to this one, but maybe that's for the best as I might not have a computer screen upon which to write this had I watched the web feed.

Warriors Pound Giants 6-1 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/January_18_WarriorsbkPoundbkGiants_188.html)

Warriors Pound Giants
Vancouver 1 Moose Jaw 6

Don Robinson

Back-up Kraymer Barnstable did not do his team any favours tonight as he allowed some seriously suspect goals. That said - the team themselves didn’t do their back-up goalie any favours tonight as they coughed up the puck badly in their own zone. In the third the wheels really fell off as the Warriors scored three unanswered goals, two of them on the PP. The game started out well for the visitors as they had their best period of the game in the opening frame, but came out of it down by one goal; despite out-shooting the Warriors 15-8 and having some serious jump. The Warriors managed to get two goals in the first though off of some suspect play by the Giants back-up goalie who frankly sucked tonight, but wasn’t being given a huge amount of help from his team-mates. The Giants only goal of the game came in the first off of Casey Pierro-Zabotel’s stick deflecting a Craig Schira shot past Joey Perricone tying the game at 13:16 of the first. That would be as close as the Giants would get as the Warriors added one in the second and three more in third as the Giants just gave up. The boys should really be ashamed of themselves tonight as they damaged their sparkling PK numbers with sloppy lazy hockey and allowed themselves to get beat-up on the score-sheet and the fight card.

Joel Broda tuned up 16yr old rookie James Henry in the first, getting in some big shots before getting the take-down. In the third Terrance Delaronde got tagged with the instigator as he and Mike Berube squared off. A nice toe-to-toe battle between the two with Delaronde getting the slim decision. RJ LaRochelle and Jordan Knackstedt squared off for a pretty good tilt which saw LaRochelle go down first. Another Giants rookie Mike Piluso dropped the gloves with Travis Hamonic and the two fell to the ice before anything could really be decided. Very late in the game, with the Warriors in complete control of the game, Ryley Grantham gratuitously challenged another 16 yr old rookie for the Giants - Evander Kane. Kane was fairly brave taking on the up and coming heavy weight and got soundly beat and in the end having his jersey over his head and taking more than few blows.

The loss was only the Giants 10th regulation loss of the season and they have no excuse - including four games in five nights. They are a better team than they showed and tired or not the effort just wasn’t there for the full sixty.

The Warriors opened the scoring at home, a place they have been feasting on opponents (currently holding the league record for home wins this season) and tonight was no different. Tough guy 20 yr old Frazer McLaren bulged the twine, beating a hapless Barnstable with a shot the he should have had. The Giants managed to tie the game later in the second as CPZ tipped Schira’s shot past Perricone giving the Giants a bit of a reward for all their hard work throughout the opening stanza. It was not to be their night however as Jason Bast scored yet another softie, giving the home team a lead they would not relinquish. That deflated the Giants a bit and signalled their decline on the evening. The real back-breaker goal came in the second when Brent Regner got the puck caught up in his skates behind his net and Barnstable was looking the wrong way expecting the puck to go to the corner, but ended up fishing it out of his net as Neal Prokop slipped a wrap-around into the wide-open cage. Oddly - what was supposedly an unassisted tally now has two assists attached to it on the official score-sheet.

To be blunt Barnstable should have been pulled at that point, but ended up being in net for all six tallies on the night. Why Barnstable didn’t get the nod for the game in Saskatoon and Tyson Sexsmith the start in The Jaw is beyond me. I would say that was a pretty poor coaching decision.

The Giants gave up in the third regardless, taking some sloppy penalties and getting a paltry 3 shots on net. The Vancouver squad barely held on for most of the third, but at about the 14 minute mark everything began to slide downhill. Kane was tagged with a soft interference call which was probably a make-up call for a check from behind by LaRochelle which had the home fans grumbling and no call made. Frazer McLaren got his second of the game from virtually the same position on the ice as his first goal, scoring a PP marker at 14:15. Then, 35 seconds later Giffen Nyren got just his 3rd of the season off of some sloppy play by the Giants in their own end, tapping home a rebound off the post. Joel Broda finished off the scoring at 18:23 of the third on another PP giving the Warriors 2 for 3 on the night.

The refs didn’t call the first minor penalty of the game until 3:58 of the second and were not whistle happy in the least. The Giants cannot blame the officials for anything tonight. The G-Men were a tired team tonight playing their third in four nights and it showed as the third period wore on. They did not bring their textbook hockey to the rink for the majority of the game, they did not fight to the net or drive the crease and were content playing perimeter hockey for every period but the first. Their PK resembled swiss cheese with all the holes being left out there on the ice and they went away from their gap control game and it cost them. The Vancouver team out-shot the home team 27–24, but failed to capitalise where it counted. They went 0 for 4 on an anaemic PP which had no real decent pressure all night and they went 1 for 3 on the PK allowing two goals on 3 chances, a very rare occurrence for the team which is second in PK in the league.

The road doesn’t get any easier as they have to travel to Swift Current to take on the Broncos for their fourth game in five nights. The positive is that Garet Hunt, after being completely screwed over by the league with a record suspension (of 7 games) for a mid-ice hit, will be back in the line-up and could give his team some life. The other positive is that the Giants are usually a team which rise to a challenge and are still top of the WHL and they will not want to end this road trip on a losing note. The Broncos better watch out tomorrow, because as tired as this team will be they will be fully motivated to put tonight’s game behind them and bring it for the full sixty.

Three Stars

1. Frazer McLaren
2. Joey Perricone
3. Jason Bast

Giantsfan
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
At least the Giants went down fighting, unlike the Cougars who roll over & take it.

I hope the Giants correct this blip now, because the Rockets are right on the Gmen's heels. This hasn't been the Eastern swing the Giants hoped it would.

TwoBits
01-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Giantsfan:

At least the Giants went down fighting, unlike the Cougars who roll over & take it.

What did we do? Kick us when we're down why don't you!!! Boogaard'd

Don't be mad at us because the little success we did have was on our road trip.

N.W. Bruin
01-18-2008, 11:34 PM
This was a game after a day off and their third in four nights (Tues, Wed and Fri). They will be looking behind themselves at Kelowna making up ground if they lose in Swift Current and can forget about finishing first in the Western Conference.

The team misses Repik big time. Basically the club has been without two of the three key forwards that were expected to led them. Lucic would have gotten close to fourty goals and has been lost to the team all season and Repik was likely on pace for fourty goals as well (okay maybe thirty to thirty five given that he would have missed time with the World Juniors). Lucic likely wouldn't have made the Canadian team if he had been with the Giants so no games missed there. Machacek has been the only one here that was counted on to produce and he has with a good shot at thirty five or so goals.

The loss of Repik for all that time and Lucic completely though as likely helped the younger guys get more ice time so that benefits the team in the future but I have no doubts with Lucic and Repik in the line up the Giants would have really been a favorite to win the league.

Forwards (10 quality forwards to make up three complete lines and one extra)
Lucic
Repik
Machacek
Bliznak
Kane
Wright
Bouma
Cunningham
Pierro-Zabotel
Nunn

The others to fill in on the fourth line
Czibere
Hunt
Henry
Cloud

Giantsfan
01-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Giantsfan:

What did we do? Kick us when we're down why don't you!!! Boogaard'd

Don't be mad at us because the little success we did have was on our road trip.

I wasn't knocking anyone but the Cougars with my comment.

dondo
01-19-2008, 03:04 AM
two bits is a Cougar fan, so you were knocking him by knocking his team and they are hurting this year, so its like going on the Portland board and mocking the Winterhawk fans, when what they need is support.

We need PG to take out the Blazers and steal a game or two from the Rockets

as for what NWB was saying .. its true we are missing Lucic and Repik especially, but Nunn, CPZ and Kane are covering that scoring fairly well and we have yet to see them really produce. I'd love to get Michal back so that we have a couple of very strong scoring lines.

After what's been happening on this road trip this team feels to me to be a bit vulnerable and if they don't take care of their game now they could find themselves on a slide. WE have holes in our line-up and Bonner not getting a real back-up has me concerned should Sexy even get the flu let alone something else.

TwoBits
01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
two bits is a Cougar fan, so you were knocking him by knocking his team and they are hurting this year, so its like going on the Portland board and mocking the Winterhawk fans, when what they need is support.

We need PG to take out the Blazers and steal a game or two from the Rockets

as for what NWB was saying .. its true we are missing Lucic and Repik especially, but Nunn, CPZ and Kane are covering that scoring fairly well and we have yet to see them really produce. I'd love to get Michal back so that we have a couple of very strong scoring lines.

After what's been happening on this road trip this team feels to me to be a bit vulnerable and if they don't take care of their game now they could find themselves on a slide. WE have holes in our line-up and Bonner not getting a real back-up has me concerned should Sexy even get the flu let alone something else.

It's not going to be easy, but we're hoping the team can win a few of these games. The fans haven't given up hope on the Cougars clawing their way out of the hole into a playoff spot.

As you know, if you have read anything on the PG forum, I have a penchant for goalies. I can really feel for Sexsmith and the tremendous responisbility he carries right now.

And Giantsfan, if you were paying attention, our team hasn't "rolled over and taken it" since the trade deadline. These young players have been playing and battling the full 60 minutes of each game even when there is no hope of winning. Go find yourself another whipping boy!

dondo
01-19-2008, 12:35 PM
hey don't worry about it two bits -- we're all fans here and we all want our teams to do the best they can do.

The best league is my mind is one with parity and the battle for top spot in the BC Division could be a interesting one. Also the playoffs are by conference rankings not divisional ones so PG could still sneak in there with a few well placed wins down south.

The East looks pretty damn tough right now though and whoever comes out of the West is going to have a huge battle on their hands.

TwoBits
01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
I can't believe how close things are in our conference. After Giantsfan slammed us last night I wanted to see why he had his gitch in a knot, so I checked out the standings more closely, and now I see why. It is oh so close up there at the top, something you Giants fans aren't accustomed to. ;)

It is very scarey here in the East. PG was extremely lucky to make their trip in October before it got even worse.

WestLEAFfan
01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I hope the Giants correct this blip now, because the Rockets are right on the Gmen's heels. This hasn't been the Eastern swing the Giants hoped it would.

Hey Giantsfan, nice comment, great sportsmanship, great hilarity. Perhaps you need to retract that comment. Don't kick someone when they are down. We gave you all you could handle in the play-offs last year. Had we only logged the bus miles you did, we'd have handed it to you.

Giantsfan
01-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I actually don't mind the Cougars, anyone that knows me realizes that. Also, it was around this time last season that the Blazers & Giants were battling for 1st place in the BC Division, so the Giants are accustomed to a team battling with a team or two for the BC title.
I have friends who are season ticket holders to the Cougars since day one, & even he says the Cougars have no heart. Maybe they've been a little better since the deadline, but that's only been a few games.

Giantsfan
01-19-2008, 02:51 PM
This was a game after a day off and their third in four nights (Tues, Wed and Fri). They will be looking behind themselves at Kelowna making up ground if they lose in Swift Current and can forget about finishing first in the Western Conference.

The Giants have a ton of home games coming up, & they play very good at home. I don't think Kelowna will catch them in the next say 5 games.

WestLEAFfan
01-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I actually don't mind the Cougars, anyone that knows me realizes that. Also, it was around this time last season that the Blazers & Giants were battling for 1st place in the BC Division, so the Giants are accustomed to a team battling with a team or two for the BC title.
I have friends who are season ticket holders to the Cougars since day one, & even he says the Cougars have no heart. Maybe they've been a little better since the deadline, but that's only been a few games.

Apology accepted! :thumb: Sorry for dredging up the past Giantsfan. There was no need for that.

Beaner
01-19-2008, 03:00 PM
The team misses Repik big time. Basically the club has been without two of the three key forwards that were expected to led them. Lucic would have gotten close to fourty goals and has been lost to the team all season and Repik was likely on pace for fourty goals as well (okay maybe thirty to thirty five given that he would have missed time with the World Juniors). Lucic likely wouldn't have made the Canadian team if he had been with the Giants so no games missed there. Machacek has been the only one here that was counted on to produce and he has with a good shot at thirty five or so goals.

I disagree.

Since Repik went down on December 1st, the Giants are 12-3-0-2. thats 26 out of a possible 34 points.

I am not sure what more we expect out of the team over that time period.

During that time frame we have outscored the opposition 67-38.

Yes it does look like the Giants have hit a bump right now going 2-2-0-1 on the current road trip, but I hardly think its time to panic. 500 on the road is not great and not what we are used to, but it isn't all that terrible.

Repik does add an extra depth for the team and gives us a very scary one two punch for offensive scoring lines for other teams to defend against. But even with him in the lineup, I can't imagine the Giants doing that much better than they already have.

Giantsfan
01-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Apology accepted! :thumb: Sorry for dredging up the past Giantsfan. There was no need for that.

No apology needed. I feel you have the right to defend your team. Just one opinion vs another.

Beaner, I agree with your post. This is also a very tough road trip, & only a couple of the games should have been guaranteed wins, even though they weren't. There is a lot of parity in the DUB right now. Any team that takes another lightly will not be skating out with 2 points.

TwoBits
01-19-2008, 04:11 PM

I think we have rid the team of it's bad attitude and what we are left with is a corp of young players who have a lot of heart but need time to develop their skills. I think the PG fans have realized this and have let up a bit. We don't expect them to win every game they play, we'll just be happy if they continue to play hard and look like they are trying to improve. Some of our new acquisitions are quite impressive and show a lot of promise.

Good luck at the top of the conference standings. And can we ask you a favour? Can you beat the pants off of Kamloops every chance you get? :D We'll see what we can do to take the wind out of the sails of Spokane, Tri-city and Kelowna.

WestLEAFfan
01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
No apology needed. I feel you have the right to defend your team. Just one opinion vs another.

Beaner, I agree with your post. This is also a very tough road trip, & only a couple of the games should have been guaranteed wins, even though they weren't. There is a lot of parity in the DUB right now. Any team that takes another lightly will not be skating out with 2 points.

Thanks, that how it should be. Well said.

Giantsfan
01-19-2008, 04:59 PM
It's too bad the owner is a goof. I'm not sure exactly what he's done that's made him hated in PG. I heard that he won't sell the team & until he does or they relocate, so many of the PG fans would rather support the Spruce Kings. It was great to see them beat Everett (especially moreso when Hunter went down) & it was great that they sold out & supported the team in the 07 playoffs.