PDA

View Full Version : Bruton Suspended Indefinitely

LifelongChiefsFan
01-19-2008, 03:13 AM
http://www.spokanechiefs.com/news/?ID=1984

Hopefully this suspension doesn't last too long. Although the Chiefs are a pretty deep team, losing Bruton definitely hurts and it has shown in the Chiefs' play since his first suspension for checking Vey a couple weeks ago.

I think it's safe to say Bruton will be out for the Everett game. Hopefully he only gets 2 and will be able to play in Portland on Monday (although if he can't Portland is the team you would want to play shorthanded). The thing Bruton has working against him is he has been suspended multiple times in the past. That might cause them to raise the suspension another couple of games. We'll see what the dub office has to say tomorrow.

wheels1
01-19-2008, 11:08 AM
I am a Tri-Cities fan and I don't feel that a suspension was warranted in this case. I have watched the video several times. Finally Mr. Cheapshot Diver (Kyle Beach) finally got what he deserves. While you really don't like to see a guy get hurt, I don't think Bruton should be suspended.

dondo
01-19-2008, 12:50 PM
What a gutless and tunnel-visioned league.

Instead of punishing the player who started it all they punish the player who had finally had enough of the crap and did something about it. It's really time for this league to take a hard look at the message they are sending and instead of being so suspension happy look closely at the circumstances surrounding the situation.

Once again the whiny Beatch gets off scot-free while the players who make him pay for his antics and over-blown performances get punished because the league is blind. Horrific decision here and the league needs to stop coddling these cheapshot guys and support the players who are sticking up for their own.

Its amazing how far bettmans simply awful decision to implement the instigator penalty has dragged our entire game down into the muck.

The league(s) coddles dangerous cheapshot players while punishing in your face players -- and that's not how it should be. Its a very sad comment on the short-sightedness of this league.

I am sorry for Chiefs fans as I am fully behind Bruton for what he did in this case and the player who got clocked deserved ever bit of it and has since he entered the league.

witness
01-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I too have watched the replays. You have to admit that the punch was pretty devistating. My question is: Is the suspension from the action or from the result?
There were a couple of things that struck me about the situation:
1. What a poor job by the officiating crew. That scrum should have been defused long before the final incident. The guys were just milling about. The linesman should have wrestled Beech (the one player that was not willing to let things go) right out of there.
2. If you are not prepared for the bite, why poke the lion? Beech insitigated, but was not prepared for the retaliation.

The Chiefs fans seem to think that Beech got off with nothing. Wrong. He is concussed and may miss 1 - 3 weeks of action.

This is not the first time that Beech's behavour has been called into account. His stock in the WHL Bantam draft dropped because teams were not willing to take a chance on a very talent but loose cannon. This is the same behavour that is now being question by the NHL scouts. Teams are tentative to possibly add oil to water. I have talked to a few scouts and they have all said the samething, high quality talent and high risk attitude. The scouts have said that he most likely will be selected low 1st round by a team that has two first round picks or another high second round pick. They want a sure thing and then might take a chance on Beech. And don't think the scouts are not aware that Hockey Canada has washed their hands of him.

wheels1
01-19-2008, 01:41 PM
The Chiefs fans seem to think that Beech got off with nothing. Wrong. He is concussed and may miss 1 - 3 weeks of action. .

I disagree with you when you say that Chiefs fans are wrong and that Beech is also paying a price. There is a VERY big difference in getting suspended and an "injury."

Bruton will get looked down upon for getting suspended so much because of apparent cheap shots. The time that Beech is missing will be counted as injury time. These two things are polar opposites.

Beech should be out with the concussion as well as get a suspension for "instigating." He played nice in the games against Tri-Cities because McColm beat the crap out of him for running into our Goalie earlier in the month. Beech is a punk and it about time that someone put him in his place again.

scrunt
01-19-2008, 02:03 PM
I agree with Witness: Beach has indeed paid a high price. His jaw couldn't handle the trouble his mouth got him into before, and now it's his brain that is taking the brunt of the punishment. The only "problem" is that the league management is not adding to the cost.

The publicity of this incident, of Beach getting truly owned by Bruton, is really going to hammer Beach's reputation even further. He is not the "schoolyard bully" he thinks he is; it has been shown with total clarity that he is really the pathetic weakling that other players in the league can pick on and laugh at... haha

So sad to see it happen to such a promising talent, but I have zero sympathy. Just like I don't feel sorry for a thief who breaks into a home at night and gets maimed by an outraged and defensive occupant.

Beaner
01-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Bruton has gotten 2 games -- More than likely just to keep any silliness from happening tonight in Everett.

Peters also got fined 500$ - No surprise in the fine, those kind of comments are almost an automatic fine.

01/19/07 Bill Peters Spokane $500.00 fine for comments following January 16 game versus Everett.
01/18/07 Ryan Kowalski Prince George One game for cfb major and g.m. versus Portland on January 16.
01/18/07 Chris Bruton Spokane Two games for match penalty versus Everett on January 16.

HomerSimpson
01-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Bruton has gotten 2 games -- More than likely just to keep any silliness from happening tonight in Everett.

Peters also got fined 500$ - No surprise in the fine, those kind of comments are almost an automatic fine.

I haven't seen the comments yet; what were they?

2 games is better than I thought. When I saw indefinite, I figured it would be a long term suspension. While I believe that no suspension was merited, at least it's not an over the top amount of games.

The question has been pondered as to whether the suspension was a result of the action or the outcome, and I have to feel that it is the outcome. Night after night in the 'dub, you see guys get their faces pounded in for doing stupid crap like this. They just usually aren't hurt. The fact that there was an injury definately seems to have weighed in on the outcome, which is very sad.

Maybe from now on everyone should play dead on the ice when they get their dome checked?

WHL/Everett 1
The little guys/Spokane 0
vc1tt

Beaner
01-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I haven't seen the comments yet; what were they?

2 games is better than I thought. When I saw indefinite, I figured it would be a long term suspension. While I believe that no suspension was merited, at least it's not an over the top amount of games.

The question has been pondered as to whether the suspension was a result of the action or the outcome, and I have to feel that it is the outcome. Night after night in the 'dub, you see guys get their faces pounded in for doing stupid crap like this. They just usually aren't hurt. The fact that there was an injury definately seems to have weighed in on the outcome, which is very sad.

Maybe from now on everyone should play dead on the ice when they get their dome checked?

WHL/Everett 1
The little guys/Spokane 0
vc1tt

He said

"I saw two punches -- one punch with a glove on and (another) punch with a glove on," Peters told the Spokesman-Review following the game. "I'd be shocked if there's (a suspension on Bruton) from that -- absolutely shocked. Let's not kid ourselves, you talk about acting 101.

"You get knocked down, you get up, that's hockey."

and

“He’s a high-maintenance guy,” said Chiefs coach Bill Peters, who still felt strongly about the situation a day after it happened. “This is right up his alley, it’s part of his schtick. He’s done this numerous times. It’s all a big charade.”

Pretty much a guarenteed fine in the WHL.

As to the suspension length, I think its a combination of actions plus who the Chiefs are playing tonight. If the Chiefs were playing Everett Sunday it would have been 3 games. If no Everett/Chiefs game this weekend you would have seen only 1 game.

League just trying to avoid a major fracas.

HomerSimpson
01-19-2008, 05:49 PM
He said

and

Pretty much a guarenteed fine in the WHL.

As to the suspension length, I think its a combination of actions plus who the Chiefs are playing tonight. If the Chiefs were playing Everett Sunday it would have been 3 games. If no Everett/Chiefs game this weekend you would have seen only 1 game.

League just trying to avoid a major fracas.

I had seen those comments --- they didn't seem that bad to me; but I guess I just feel the same way. I can see why the league would fine him for that.

HomerSimpson
01-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Say, while we're sorta on the subject...was Peters ever reprimanded for throwing a water bottle at an official 2 years ago in Cranbrook?

Don't know if many of you are familiar with that incident.