PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 @ Broncos 1

Big Ern
01-20-2008, 12:09 AM
That was a great tilt!! The losing stab at the end of regulation was not too much fun, but it's safe to say, the fans in attendance should be well entertained.

Tonight's game recap will be in point-form notes. Here goes:

-that was the best physical effort of the season by far from the Swift Current Broncos. Our guys just pounded the Giants all over the ice, especially in the third period. Most of the hits were clean and yet, THUNDEROUS. Did our team focus so much on physicality that they forgot about offense?

-I thought the difference in the game had two sides tonight.

A.) Two penalties that our team took. The two penalties that the Giants scored on were not very good penalties IMO. Although Cory McLain is a joke at the best of times with some of the calls he makes (and tonight was no different) I thought those two particular calls were legit, and they obviously really hurt us in the end result.

B.) Not capitalizing on chances. Two or three times, a juicy rebound was served up by Sexsmith, and our guys JUUUST didn't have the finishing touches tonight. I remember on one 3 on 1 after a turnover by the Giants, our three players going in maybe tried to get too fancy. The Giants are the best defense in the WHL. I can't help but think the philosophy tonight was to get the puck on goal in any way, and drive to the net. It was soooo close at times..maybe just that little bit of elevation on the puck to get it over the glove, maybe missing by inches but the point is, the puck didn't go in. Again, let's not forget through all of this, that Vancouver has the best defense in the WHL.

C.) Enough negativity for now. :)

-there are a few guys that could be mentioned tonight when it comes to playing their best and being EXTREMELY physical to send a message to the Giants. I would have to start by mentioning Dale Weise. This guy was more than a freight train tonight..I can't think of a good way to describe how he has played this year. He's been tremendous. I also like Tassone's move when he came in and totally beat up the Giant player who dished out a hit from behind to Jesse Dudas. That got the crowd going as well...good effort by Tazzer to set the tone. Travis Yonkman put on a clinic in goal also. He made some heart-stopping saves, including a game saver with about two minutes to go in the third. Yonks came up big tonight. These are just three names that come to mind.......some of our guys tonight played their hearts out.

-if the Broncos come out hitting as hard as they did in the third period, they can beat any club in this league.

-how about the atmosphere tonight in the rink? I loved it. I'm sure the guys fed off of it. At times, it was DEAFENING! All 2065 in attendance looked to be into it. A hard-hitting tilt will do that.

-the Broncos face Moose Jaw this Tuesday night, whom they are 2 and 0 against on the season. There are six matchups left to settle between these two teams. It should be a great battle down the stretch. If the Broncos can find a way to keep beating the 'Jaw, they can get a lot of mileage out of that stat. I plan to attend that tilt in the friendly city, and expect a great matchup. Both teams have played well of late.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

stick boy
01-20-2008, 02:23 AM
Wow it would have been great to steal that game tonight. That said there were definitely some things to build on.

Our new #1 line is tough to play against with Smith, Weise, and Felde throwing the body and using their great speed.

Weise was a wrecking ball tonight, Felde also threw some good hits but so did Eric Doyle and Cody Eakin. This must happen every game.

Yonks looked great today.

How about the crowd, that was awesome, crowd fed off players, players fed off crowd and so on and so on.

Those mini cowbells have really added to the atmosphere as well, kudos to the souvenir shop for bringing them in.

I am convinced that the best way to improve the atmosphere in the building would be to have $3 beer. Anyone disagree? Or at the very least have a promotion similar to beer batters. Pick three Broncos forwards and if they score a goal drop the price of beer for the rest of the period or 30 minutes or something.

Scout
01-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Last updated at 11:41 PM on 19/01/08

Broncos fall 2-1 to Giants in physical contest
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos exacted a physical toll from the Vancouver Giants but allowed two powerplay goals in a 2-1 loss to the visiting Giants on Saturday night.

The Giants counted powerplay goals from Casey Pierro-Zabotel and Evander Kane with Vancouver’s powerplay connecting on two of seven opportunities.

Swift Current replied with a third period goal from Geordie Wudrick who tipped in a Bretton Stamler point shot to pull the Broncos within one goal.

The top line of Zack Smith, Dale Weise, and Erik Felde were a dominating physical force all night, but were especially effective in the third period as they attempted to spark a Broncos’ comeback with numerous hits that sent Giants sliding across the ice.

The game also featured the return of former Broncos defenseman R.J. LaRochelle who was dealt to Vancouver at the trade deadline. LaRochelle was in the starting lineup and played a number of key minutes for the Giants down the stretch.

Giants goaltender Tyson Sexsmith posted his Western Hockey League leading 30th win of the season by turning aside 18 of 19 shots.

Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman stopped 37 of 39 shots in the loss.

Newly acquired overage blueliner Bretton Stamler believes that the Broncos still have steps to take before they can win games over elite teams like the Giants.

“In spurts yeah, but we lost 2-1 on two powerplay goals. We have been talking about accountability in the room, all over the ice, turnovers, penalties, shift length, and we didn’t do it tonight so we still have to take a step.”

The Broncos energized 2,065 fans at the Credit Union iplex with their physical play, but Stamler feels the aggressiveness needs to be more consistent.

“We knew we were going to have to play physical but the biggest thing for us was to play consistent throughout the entire game because they are a very disciplined team and they are not going to go around you but they are going to go through you. All of their lines do the exact same thing. I think that in order to play that way you have to play physical, you have to play the same way they did and obviously they play a physical game. I think that we matched them at parts in that way. I thought Felde had a couple of good shifts where he was laying the body. But I still think that we need accountability, we have to take a step, that is really key for us because I believe that this is a team that can really make a push and we are not going to be able to do it if we keep taking penalties like that.”

After four games with the Broncos Stamler admits that he is beginning to feel more at home in the Broncos uniform.

“I am feeling more comfortable. This team is a lot more skilled than the team I played for in Edmonton. That wasn’t a surprise, when I played for Edmonton that was always the big thing was that Swift Current is so skilled, especially up front they have a lot of guys that can make things happen out of nothing. So I am starting to feel more comfortable. But also because guys are so skilled I get the puck when I don’t expect it or sometimes when I haven’t got it in the past which is obviously a nice change. But I still think that I have to make some adjustments.”

Stamler admits that the guys are watching the Eastern Conference standings closely.

“It is very important, and it is the only thing we should be watching as players, not stats, nothing else, just the standings because that is all that matters. This organization has made a commitment to winning at the deadline. You don’t pick up a 20-year-old D-man and a 19-year-old D-man and build for the future. That is for now and if they do that I think that the guys have to take notice and realize that this could be the year for us.”

Vancouver remains at the top of the Western Conference standings by improving to 32-10-1-5 and became the first WHL team to reach the 70-point plateau, while Swift Current continues to hold down eighth place in the Eastern Conference at 23-20-0-5.

Beaner
01-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I also like Tassone's move when he came in and totally beat up the Giant player who dished out a hit from behind to Jesse Dudas.

I see from the score sheet that Dudas also got a 2 for a roughing and a 10 at the same time as the major Cunningham was given for hitting him? I'm assuming that Cunningham hit Dudas then Dudas got up and mixed it up?

Just trying to figure out how many games, if any Cunningham may get.

old_time_hockey
01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Dudas did get back up and into the fight Beaner.

And as far as totally beating up Cunningham, from what I saw, he had Craig face down on the ice and even then kept hitting him in the back of the head. That part was pretty cowardly. If you want to challenge someone for a hit, fine. But once he is down it is over. Got to the box and feel good that you beat up someone half your size.

stick boy
01-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Not sure punching someone in the back of the head is anymore cowardly than running someone from behind from 30 feet away. Looked like he got what he deserved to me.

old_time_hockey
01-20-2008, 03:32 PM
And I am sure no Bronco has ever been called for charging or CFB or just pain doing something stupid right:

12/29/07 Keegan Dansereau Swift Current One game for charging major and g.m. versus Medicine Hat on December 28.

12/29/07 Dale Weise Swift Current Two games under supplemental discipline versus Medicine Hat on December 28.

Should have been Dudas to go after him since he was fine.

Beaner
01-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Not sure punching someone in the back of the head is anymore cowardly than running someone from behind from 30 feet away. Looked like he got what he deserved to me.

I have to agree as long as it isn't too out of control. Live by the sword.....

old_time_hockey
01-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I have to agree as long as it isn't too out of control. Live by the sword.....

I think the thing both of you are missing the point on is it wasn't that Craig didn't confront him. They fought and Craig got beat. Should have been end of story considering Dudas was running around trying to get into the middle of it.

Flathead
01-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I am convinced that the best way to improve the atmosphere in the building would be to have $3 beer. Anyone disagree? Or at the very least have a promotion similar to beer batters. Pick three Broncos forwards and if they score a goal drop the price of beer for the rest of the period or 30 minutes or something.
I actually think they should raise the price of beer and lower ticket prices at the door. But I don't drink, so beer could be 20 bucks a glass for all i care.

Flathead
01-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I think if we would have played the first 40 minutes like that last twenty Vancouver wouldn't have came out for the third period!
Special teams was the difference, 5 on 5 it was very even. All in all very entertaining and I wouldn't be afraid to face those guys in a 7 game series, if we could play a full 60 like the last 20 last night. Good job guys!

Flathead
01-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I actually think they should raise the price of beer and lower ticket prices at the door. But I don't drink, so beer could be 20 bucks a glass for all i care.
Actually I realize beer sales is income and we need that. I do care. lol