PDA

View Full Version : Jan. 19 vs. Rockets

TwoBits
01-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Rockets 6 Cougars 3

Well, wasn't that an interesting one!

The controversial 2nd goal.

The comeback in the second to bring the game back within reach.

Then the called-off goal.

Comments by the play-by-play stated that the team showed some improvement again.

I'm a little concerned that D. Tyrell hasn't been able to score although he did get a couple of assists.

Most importantly, they didn't quit.

And darn it wouldn't you know, Kamloops was able to squeeze a point out of the Bruins tonight. Oh well, at least it wasn't 2.

Sput
01-20-2008, 02:49 AM
I think the rest of this season is going to be tough on the fans that only want to see wins. I have only seen one home game since the trade deadline, but I saw more heart and never quit attitude out of this young bunch than I ever did with the senior vets in the lineup.

I believe that if the franchise can keep this young group together, let them grow up together, they will be near the top in two years. Next year will show a marked improvement over this, and two years will be their year. Looking to the future, we really only lose 4 guys from this year's team. Gardner, Sagart, Cyr and Magnusson. I really doubt Mags will be back as a 20 and a Euro.

From the comments during and after the game, Bruin McDonald sounds like a real asset that should be in the mix next year. Playing as a 15yo he seemed to see lots of ice, and in key spots. Brett Connley, McDonald, Buonosisi(sp) all look good as up and comers with this team.

WestLEAFfan
01-20-2008, 09:03 AM
So, does anyone know exactly how long the off ice officials in Kelowna had the clock off when the ROCKET 2nd goal was scored. The PG play by play guy went nuts. According to him, "15 - 20 seconds guaranteed". Someone dropped the ball big time. I'm not saying that PG would have won the game, but the play should have been blown dead at the very least. 4 officials on the ice and how many in the scorekeepers booth and no one saw it? Come on. This needs to be reviewed by the league IMO, so it doesn't happe again.

puckmam
01-20-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113626&Itemid=564

Cougars lose in Kelowna (0) [Back]Next >
(Sports) Saturday, 19 January 2008, 22:00 PST
Jim Swanson

(Courtesy Kelowna Daily Courier)

Cougars 3 at Rockets 6 KELOWNA, B.C. — Brady Leavold scored four times and linemate Jamie Benn had six points for Kelowna as the Rockets’ top line shredded the Prince George Cougars 6-3 in Western Hockey League play on Saturday.

Benn had two goals and four assists while Colin Long had four assists for Kelowna (29-14-2-4), which led 3-0 and and 4-2 at the period breaks.

At game’s end, Kelowna’s top line of Long, Benn and Leavold combined for 15 points.

Jan Kupec, Patrik Magnusson and Brad Riege replied for Prince George (14-31-1-1), which suffered its third consecutive loss. The Cougars are 1-6 against the Rockets this season and have been outscored 42-12.

Kris Westblom made 17 saves for the Rockets, who only gave up 10 shots through 40 minutes. Ian Curtis turned aside 27 shots for the Cougars.

TwoBits
01-20-2008, 11:48 AM
So, does anyone know exactly how long the off ice officials in Kelowna had the clock off when the ROCKET 2nd goal was scored. The PG play by play guy went nuts. According to him, "15 - 20 seconds guaranteed". Someone dropped the ball big time. I'm not saying that PG would have won the game, but the play should have been blown dead at the very least. 4 officials on the ice and how many in the scorekeepers booth and no one saw it? Come on. This needs to be reviewed by the league IMO, so it doesn't happe again.

They had one of their guys go back to the tape and time it and it was easily 27 seconds, maybe more. They asked Klippenstein his thoughts in the post game show and he was thoroughly disgusted. He was asked how he thought it should be handled in the future and he figured they should have blown the whistle, adjusted the clock and carried on. I guess the linesman was right by their bench and the PG coaches were yelling in his ear, he knew the clock wasn't going and said they would fix it the next stop in play. Klippenstein said something along the lines of " he was too busy scooping the puck out of the back of our net at the next stop in play". He admitted that it probably didn't have an impact on the outcome of the game but who knows.

WestLEAFfan
01-20-2008, 12:33 PM
What if it had been in OT? In the play-offs? I'm sure the league will hear about it. Mistakes are made, everyone is human, but 27 seconds, yikes!