PDA

View Full Version : Sad State of Affairs

Snuffalupagus
01-21-2008, 11:20 AM
In the last few weeks I have been privy to take in a few Blades contests and have been very disapointed in the not only the product on the ice but the entire atmosphere that is in the building.

Firstly on the ice this team continually looks like a glorified midget team as they have a great inability to clear the zone if every on the first attempt a skill that is essential at this level of hockey. Full marks to Brayden Holtby as it must be frustrating each and every night for him to face 30 plus shots and continually have to bail his team out night in and night out. I don't know if it is coaching or just an ineptitude of the players on the team but it is no wonder they cannot compete for a playoff spot on a consistent basis as they cannot generate scoring chances due to the puck being in their own end. Thank god for Elliot and Niemi as these two look that as they should develop into competant puck carrying defensemen. Hopefully then as good as goaltending needs to be it won't relied on as heavily to win games.

Another thing I have really noticed at games this season is just a lack of atmosphere and things happening during games. I believe that this responsibility usually rests with the marketing department of a team. I also browsed the team's website and noticed that Mike Jenkins has left the club and this maybe a reason for the decreased atmosphere. Now don't get me wrong Credit Union Centre is a difficult building to generate excitement and a fun environment in but there seems to be a difference this year and with a a team that has struggled you need to be able to continue to make the building a fun place to come to. They used to play funny clips and cartoons and music videos. This past Tuesday they played and Evenessence song that would put the rowdiest crowd asleep. They also used to entertain us fans with special nights such as jersey retirements and things and that just hasn't happened this season.

I don't know it's just one ladies opinion but I will seriously have a hard time forking over $15 to attend a game in the future if the product on the ice does not improve or at least the show is worth watching.

Trav
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Agree with everything u said. Can't see how a person can disagree.

The Blades need to make some changes somewhere in the off season. Two poor seasons in a row shouldnt be accepted by anyone associated with the team and quite frankly, I am having some doubts on next year.

As for the stuff that goes on during the games, intermissions and etc, it's gone way down. Their new mascot hardly does anything, their last one was way better, more active with the kids. I hardly see that poke check character during the game. The guy that is on the microphone is annoying most of the time. Those questions they ask are dumb cuz they give u the answer lol so that you win.

Oh well, we're used to see an average hockey team here in Saskatoon. Don't see them being a Cup contender any time soon.

hobster
01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
In the last few weeks I have been privy to take in a few Blades contests and have been very disapointed in the not only the product on the ice but the entire atmosphere that is in the building.

Firstly on the ice this team continually looks like a glorified midget team as they have a great inability to clear the zone if every on the first attempt a skill that is essential at this level of hockey. Full marks to Brayden Holtby as it must be frustrating each and every night for him to face 30 plus shots and continually have to bail his team out night in and night out. I don't know if it is coaching or just an ineptitude of the players on the team but it is no wonder they cannot compete for a playoff spot on a consistent basis as they cannot generate scoring chances due to the puck being in their own end. Thank god for Elliot and Niemi as these two look that as they should develop into competant puck carrying defensemen. Hopefully then as good as goaltending needs to be it won't relied on as heavily to win games.

Another thing I have really noticed at games this season is just a lack of atmosphere and things happening during games. I believe that this responsibility usually rests with the marketing department of a team. I also browsed the team's website and noticed that Mike Jenkins has left the club and this maybe a reason for the decreased atmosphere. Now don't get me wrong Credit Union Centre is a difficult building to generate excitement and a fun environment in but there seems to be a difference this year and with a a team that has struggled you need to be able to continue to make the building a fun place to come to. They used to play funny clips and cartoons and music videos. This past Tuesday they played and Evenessence song that would put the rowdiest crowd asleep. They also used to entertain us fans with special nights such as jersey retirements and things and that just hasn't happened this season.

I don't know it's just one ladies opinion but I will seriously have a hard time forking over $15 to attend a game in the future if the product on the ice does not improve or at least the show is worth watching. Yes you are right about the atmosphere it is very dull, me as a fan personally i could care less about crowd noise im there to watch hockey and thats all.

There is one thing i don't agree with you on and that's how they play on home ice, i think for with what they have to work with this season there home play has been very good with a record of 12-8-1-1, it's the road where there horrible on with a record of 5 20-1-0. So if you want to complain about there on ice product that is keeping us from a playoff spot blame there poor road efforts cause quit frankley they play the best they can with what they have this season on home ice. Were competative at home we just beat the Vancouver Giants in a thrilling game played great against the Warriors the other night, and overall beat some very solid teams at home.

And by no means does the other team out shoot us by alot at home, we might not have the flashiest fowards but there resposible fowards they always come back play defence and cover there man. It's our road record that is hurting us where, i think we give the oposition to much respect in there barn .

hobster
01-21-2008, 12:39 PM
The atmosphere ha been bad for a number of years and don't expect it to change any time soon, with a wide open barn like that it will never be loud. It is the cities fault for not building Sask place in the exibition grounds more central with a 7,000 seat arena over 11,000. But hey atleast we have cheerleads, the blue crew i think there called what a joke lol.

hobster
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Agree with everything u said. Can't see how a person can disagree.

The Blades need to make some changes somewhere in the off season. Two poor seasons in a row shouldnt be accepted by anyone associated with the team and quite frankly, I am having some doubts on next year.

As for the stuff that goes on during the games, intermissions and etc, it's gone way down. Their new mascot hardly does anything, their last one was way better, more active with the kids. I hardly see that poke check character during the game. The guy that is on the microphone is annoying most of the time. Those questions they ask are dumb cuz they give u the answer lol so that you win.

Oh well, we're used to see an average hockey team here in Saskatoon. Don't see them being a Cup contender any time soon.Well Trav if you would follow the up and comers you would see that we finally have some real good up and commers expecially on foward. With Gallimore chicki Nichols Crooks Inglis, don't expect Inglis to light it up but he could be simaler to a Barnes with Krahn in net very solid.

howley
01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Hobster I swear every other post you give reference to the up and comers. I give you credit...you are way more optimistic than I am. Heck, maybe some of it will even rub off.

Trav
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
and yeah some of them look good however they're going to be rookies next year and shouldn't be expected to take the Blades to the promised lan next year and quite frankly next year the Blades better be a top 4 team in the eastern conference. Thats not to much to ask is it? seeing how they've told us for the last two years that they're rebuilding but you know with the current guys they have right now, I don't see it happening.

This is what, Molleken's 4th year here and they haven't caught a sniff of the WHL championship. Heck the team hasn't even come close in the last 10 years and to me that shouldn't be acceptable by anyone but it sure seems to be cuz nothing is being done about it. All Molleken does is go out and get these so called tough guys like Reich who flips out every now and then and also cant stay out of the damn box. Now their top pick from last year has over a 100 minutes of PM in a Midget league. If he tries to cause trouble next year, he'll just take a beating from the other older tough guys. .

Son of a Preacher Man
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
And the bigger arenas unless they are 3/4 full they don't have much atmosphere. The arena in Saskatoon is way to big for WHL hockey. You still average over 4,000 a game but in an arena that seats 11,000 it looks empty. I also agree your arena is way out in the boonies and i'm sure most don't want to make the treck out of town when it's 30 below. Having a team not playing to their potential the last few years doesn't help either. Fans loose interest and money is tight for most. I bet a winning team on the ice and the atmosphere would be alot greater. You can try all you want to get the people going that do show up but if it's over 1/2 empty it's already a loosing battle.

hobster
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Well next year we wont have Klotz or Reich don't back don't see why we would. So that means 3 new 20,s wich im guesssing 2 will be on foward and 1 overager on defence wich will already be solid and as well, we will have a high euro pick in the draft so 3 new 20,s and a new euro, along with Gillies up front and the new Langkow Toomey and Hamilton line along with guys like Wintoneak Hulak Patterson Nichols Crooks Gallimore Inglis etc.

We should be well improved we are bassicly only losing 5 players from this team, so everyone will be a year older and they will all know the systems should be a well improved team.

And i was getting at snufflupagus about our poor play at home wich i thought was funny cause the team has proved to me that they can play with any team in the league on home ice, and they proved it with a winning record.

Trav
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Div titles won (reg.season): 6 - 1972-73, 74-75, 75-76, 82-83, 87-88, 93-94
Conference titles won (playoffs): 2 (1991-92, 1993-94)
President's Cup Titles: 0
Memorial Cup Titles: 0

Oldest team in the WHL and nothing great to show for it other then their only memorial cup appearance as hosts.

Didn't know it was that bad to be honest. I'm just shaking my head right now.

So Hobster, I wouldn't be trying to defend the Blades and say oh how they got good prospects coming up and stuff like that cuz the Blades have had good players over the years but that never led them anywhere as the above facts show.

hobster
01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Div titles won (reg.season): 6 - 1972-73, 74-75, 75-76, 82-83, 87-88, 93-94
Conference titles won (playoffs): 2 (1991-92, 1993-94)
President's Cup Titles: 0
Memorial Cup Titles: 0

Oldest team in the WHL and nothing great to show for it other then their only memorial cup appearance as hosts.

Didn't know it was that bad to be honest. I'm just shaking my head right now.

So Hobster, I wouldn't be trying to defend the Blades and say oh how they got good prospects coming up and stuff like that cuz the Blades have had good players over the years but that never led them anywhere as the above facts show.Well if it is bothering you so much why don't you stop following the team and start jumping on the badwagon for a better team.

Im just glad we got a hockey team and we get 36 games of year to watch the best young talent in wich is the WHL gota love watchin these young prospects come through. It's just not always about the Blades in wich i will always suport this team and never give up on them, i don't care if i have to waite 90 years like the Red Sox did to win a world series ,cause when the day comes my god is it gonna feel sweet.

Trav
01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
The Blades only lost Menei, Cole and Logan last year so I wouldnt use that as a reason for the team to do well next year. They didn't improve this year so what makes u think they'll be improving next year.

hobster
01-21-2008, 03:29 PM
The Blades only lost Menei, Cole and Logan last year so I wouldnt use that as a reason for the team to do well next year. They didn't improve this year so what makes u think they'll be improving next year.Well this season we have more promise than last, for one the east is stronger than it has been for almost 10 years or so injuries play a factor as well. But we havent had this much young talent like we do this year with guys like Niemi Elliott Holtby Krahn Gillies aka captain Gillies might be slowed down right now thats because he has playd so much hockey this year. But i do feel more comfertable going into next season as i did coming into this season that is for sure.

hobster
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
My god why didn't you start complaining awhile back Trav ? like before the trade deadline when we were not playing as well. Look at what we have done since the deadline 4-4 record played really well against Moose Jaw beat the Giants in a shootout played Brandon tough on the road and beat the Rebels.

Trav
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Secondly just because they have done squat in recent years doesn't mean I'll stop supporting them but that also doesn't mean that I won't voice my displeasure of the team when they're not winning. Don't you wanna see a league title dude? you seem like you have no problem with their current team and the fact that they haven't won anything ever.

Look at the Giants, they've been in the league bout six years and they only missed the playoffs once and have already won the Cup and have been to the league finals twice. Doesn't that bother you, that a new team has success like that and the Blades don't? If it doesn't then well I dunno lol.

It's us that make the WHL work and as fans we should expect a winning team. Not rebuilding team two years in a row or a team that has done nothing since the late 80's and early 90's.

hobster
01-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Im done on his thread it's like trying to dig through sand at times, to many debbie downer fusterated people in Saskatoon peace im off to another thread.

And i would be happy if you wouldn't call me out on my spelling in front of all the other posters. Please have some class and let me know in a private messege ok . :D

Trav
01-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I've been voicing my thoughts all year long lol. This isnt the first time.

Played Brandon tough on the road huh? Well sure didnt look like it in the first period.

Yeah they beat the Giants or should I say Holtby did and the Rebels? well everyone beats them so no surprise there.

Answer my question Hobster, how can u say they'll be improved next year since they'll only lose five guys when they only lost 3 guys from last year and are just as bad.

hobster
01-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I've been voicing my thoughts all year long lol. This isnt the first time.

Played Brandon tough on the road huh? Well sure didnt look like it in the first period.

Yeah they beat the Giants or should I say Holtby did and the Rebels? well everyone beats them so no surprise there.

Answer my question Hobster, how can u say they'll be improved next year since they'll only lose five guys when they only lost 3 guys from last year and are just as bad.Ok this is my last post on this thread for real now. We have showed that we can play with out this years 20,s in our lineup Durand Fiala and Flatters. Now if this happened when we had Menei or Cole hurt we would have been screwed so that shows me that this years younger guys step up to the challenge than what last years players would have done. Menei put up 77 points and Cole was dinamite our 20,s arent that good this year but our younger players are, so that's a step n the right direction.

dagley
01-21-2008, 05:47 PM
You never really played tough in Brandon all year, no offense.

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM
We know that the the fans will only be there if the team wins(right now is not the case) The true Blades fans (like myself) still go out and watch the team every game. Also(it has been mentioned) somewhere on here that the Blades are the joke of Saskatoon as far as sports teams goes,and maybe the entire WHL. Ok maybe not,but every team has a rebuilding period.(which the Blades still seem to be going through) It is sad to see the Blades record with titles and the like has not improved,and hopefully it will

Whenever the Blades start winning CONSISTANTLY then we will most likely see the people/hockey,bandwagon fans of Saskatoon(and area) start attending the games.

I am echoing what other posters have said here about the size of the CUC,there would be pros and cons to having a packed house every game,and having a library like atmospere,and the arena location as well.

I too am very greatful that Saskatoon has a Junior Hockey team and I will support them no matter what the situation is.

Trav
01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I am still a Blades fan, I am not a season ticket holder and dont go to many games but that doesn't make me any less of a fan then you guys that go to all 36 home games a year. If I didn't care bout our team I wouldn't be voicing my disappointment on here.

If you fans that claim to be true fans wanna spend 15 bucks a game or hundreds of dollars for season tickets, thats fine but there will be fans that won't and thats fine to.

I know the Blades arent the only team that have done lousy over the year, there's other teams to but Saskatoon is one of the largest hockey cities in the east behind Calgary and Edmonton. If our team was winning we'd probably have 10,000 fans out to games every night. There's no reason why we shouldnt be able to land top notch players from the junior a level like the Giants do. I bet there are MJHL, SJHL and AJHL players that would well at the WHL level and on the Blades.

Like Hobster said there are some good prospects coming up and hopefully next year the team can score a lot more goals and win a lot more games. If they do great, then maybe its a sign of good things to come.

Snuffalupagus
01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
My point seems to have been lost through the various posts. What I was getting at was that it blows my mind that they play like a bantam/midget team as they lack the basic skills needed to compete at the WHL level. Skills such as being able to break out the zone. This team struggles at this at home and more than likely on the road to as their record shows. They have achieved results at home sometimes not deserved but that happens with every team. They did not deserve to beat the Giants, Brayden Holtby did but the rest of the team did not deserve a win. Hopefully this team can find a way to learn those skills and begin to succeed but as of now this team would surely be challenged by any team playing in the SMAAAHL.

In regards to the atmosphere in the building. I believe that this has nothing to do with the size but rather the effort put forth by the team to entertain the fans, especially when the product on the ice is not always up to par. The games which I have attended this year just seem to lack off-ice action as nothing is going on. For example the same music is being played, they have a beautiful scoreboard that is not utilized to it's fullest extent, a mascot that if you ask me did not have a lot of thought put into it (What does a snowman have to do with Saskatoon or the Blades?) even one of my favorite parts of a game the intro video is weak even though it has been replaced from a really lackluster earlier version. The Hitmen, Oil Kings, Winterhawks, Silvertips, Giants and Chiefs all play in similar buildings and I would wager to guess that those games are more entertaining than attending a Blades game. This sport is not just a sport anymore this is big business and the Saskatoon Blades surely need to look at the on-ice product but the off-ice product as well. It blows my mind that in a city of 225,000+ that the team cannot draw 5000-6000 fans a night especially with a decent show that distracts you from a lacklustre product. Please make me forget that I spent $15 to watch semi-par hockey by entertaining me, or I will find better ways to spend my money.

penman
01-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Just where do you think Klotz and Reich will be playing next year???

hobster
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
My point seems to have been lost through the various posts. What I was getting at was that it blows my mind that they play like a bantam/midget team as they lack the basic skills needed to compete at the WHL level. Skills such as being able to break out the zone. This team struggles at this at home and more than likely on the road to as their record shows. They have achieved results at home sometimes not deserved but that happens with every team. They did not deserve to beat the Giants, Brayden Holtby did but the rest of the team did not deserve a win. Hopefully this team can find a way to learn those skills and begin to succeed but as of now this team would surely be challenged by any team playing in the SMAAAHL.

In regards to the atmosphere in the building. I believe that this has nothing to do with the size but rather the effort put forth by the team to entertain the fans, especially when the product on the ice is not always up to par. The games which I have attended this year just seem to lack off-ice action as nothing is going on. For example the same music is being played, they have a beautiful scoreboard that is not utilized to it's fullest extent, a mascot that if you ask me did not have a lot of thought put into it (What does a snowman have to do with Saskatoon or the Blades?) even one of my favorite parts of a game the intro video is weak even though it has been replaced from a really lackluster earlier version. The Hitmen, Oil Kings, Winterhawks, Silvertips, Giants and Chiefs all play in similar buildings and I would wager to guess that those games are more entertaining than attending a Blades game. This sport is not just a sport anymore this is big business and the Saskatoon Blades surely need to look at the on-ice product but the off-ice product as well. It blows my mind that in a city of 225,000+ that the team cannot draw 5000-6000 fans a night especially with a decent show that distracts you from a lacklustre product. Please make me forget that I spent $15 to watch semi-par hockey by entertaining me, or I will find better ways to spend my money.Ok i really hope you don't think a midget team could challenge the Blades. If you do think so i wont be replying to any of your messages anymore, cause it would be a waste of my time. In the midget ranks it consists of 16 and 17 year olds and the odd 15 year old. They are smaller not as much skill and would totally get banged around it wouldn't even be funny. I sure hope that was a joke by you .

And another thing not sure why you feel we didn't deserve to beat the Giants if you win you have done something right,right ? And i was there, vancouver outshot us yes but alot of there shots came from the perrimater easy shots for Holtby. Plus the Blades hit something like 3 or 4 post's in regulation with numerious scoring chances.

hobster
01-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Just where do you think Klotz and Reich will be playing next year???Well i would be really suprised if we brought them back expecially when there will be some pretty good 20 year old free agents. In the off season the Blades most likely will go after a couple scoring fowards and a solid 20 year old d-man.

dagley
01-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Portland is the laughing stalk of the WHL. When I was playing bantam, if I had the chance to be drafted, Saskatoon was one of the top 5 places I would have wanted to go too.

hobster
01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Portland is the laughing stalk of the WHL. When I was playing bantam, if I had the chance to be drafted, Saskatoon was one of the top 5 places I would have wanted to go too.Portland is a complete joke. If they don't start drafting anyone from Saskatchewan in the near future then they wont be good for some time. As it stands right now they only have Bo Montgomery from Sask. It's probablly because they don't have any scout from Sask as i have been told, and they only have 2 for Alberta and only 1 from Manitoba .

wango tango
01-21-2008, 09:42 PM

In regards to the atmosphere in the building. I believe that this has nothing to do with the size but rather the effort put forth by the team to entertain the fans, especially when the product on the ice is not always up to par. The games which I have attended this year just seem to lack off-ice action as nothing is going on. For example the same music is being played, they have a beautiful scoreboard that is not utilized to it's fullest extent, a mascot that if you ask me did not have a lot of thought put into it (What does a snowman have to do with Saskatoon or the Blades?) even one of my favorite parts of a game the intro video is weak even though it has been replaced from a really lackluster earlier version. The Hitmen, Oil Kings, Winterhawks, Silvertips, Giants and Chiefs all play in similar buildings and I would wager to guess that those games are more entertaining than attending a Blades game. This sport is not just a sport anymore this is big business and the Saskatoon Blades surely need to look at the on-ice product but the off-ice product as well. It blows my mind that in a city of 225,000+ that the team cannot draw 5000-6000 fans a night especially with a decent show that distracts you from a lacklustre product. Please make me forget that I spent $15 to watch semi-par hockey by entertaining me, or I will find better ways to spend my money.

there isn't a midget team in north america that could beat a whl team, and that includes the winterhawks, rebels, cougars, blades, and raiders right now.

holtby stoned the giants, no doubt about it. did he score a goal? did he clear his own rebounds? did he get in the shooting lanes and block shots while simultaneously being in the net to stop the shot? did he somehow leap into the play and forecheck the giants in their zone? did he take all the shots in the shootout and then got back in net to face the giants shooter. my point... hockey is a team game. even on those nights when the goalie 'steals one' it comes with a lot of help from his teammates.

as to the lacklustre atmosphere, yeah i've noticed some things (that evanesence video was putrid). i also know some of the behind the scenes staff has changed so i'm willing to cut them some slack. having travelled to many stops across the whl i can honestly say the blades do more off ice during a game than a lot of teams. they also do a lot in the community and have won awards for it.

the biggest problem we have as fans is this attitude i hear of no atmosphere. fans create that atmosphere. don't look to anyone else. start something. why is it when there are a lot of kids in the building the place seems more energetic? because they don't have the fear of 'oh my god i wonder what the guy next to me will think if i cheer?' you want atmosphere? create it. atmosphere starts with you. players feed off the energy and go harder. ask them. read moose jaw head coach dave hunchak's comments in the paper about the saskatoon crowds.

you want somebody to do something for you? start by doing something yourself in the stands. i see this one woman who must be in her 70's, i think she's a season ticket holder because she's out there at all the games, and she's cheering and ringing her bell for all it's worth. wish i could say the same about more of the fans at the cuc.

i spend my money gratefully to watch whl. i get to see the greatest junior age players on the planet. do i wish the team had more banners to show for their history? yes. and i've told that to jack brodsky directly. how many here have asked a question about the team and its direction directly of blades management or ownership?

penman
01-21-2008, 09:49 PM
I remember not that long ago Med. Hat went for at least6 years straight without making the playoffs.What about the rebels in Sutter Ville They get so much hype and yaking from ding dongs like P Mcguire and the bunch and since they won in 2000 or 2001 what have they done to light up the dub??? I am sure someone from R.Deer will let me in on the secret.

Trav
01-21-2008, 09:57 PM
but the Blades have got to start having winning seasons and get to the WHL finals like other teams have done more quite a few times and it starts with the bantam draft which is a crap shoot and thats why I think they should move it to 15 yr olds, not 14 yr olds. Drafting them a year older will help them a lot.

Snuffalupagus
01-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Ok I never recalled saying they would ever be beaten by a midget team. But their play at times sure seems as though they have the skill of a midget team at times with the way they play. Obviously they are bigger, stronger and faster and would 99.9% of the time would defeat a midget squad all I was saying was that sometimes they way they play is so frustrating to watch that it seems as though they maybe good competition in a midget league. And in watching a team like Vancouver I don't think they deserved to win the game. Vancouver hit numerous posts as well and Brayden made numerous second saves during the evening. I firmly believe that Vancouver controlled the play and that it was a same that either Sexsmith or Holtby had to be saddled with a loss. And finally yes a win is win but they did win a skills competition a component of game which takes 90% of the essence of game out of determining a winner no matter how exciting the shoot-out is. To summize, I just believe that Vancouver deserved the win more than the Blades as a team did. But full marks to Holtby for stealing a win as that is what you need to have from your goaltender same as Anton Khudobin did a few seasons back or what Marty Broduer and Roberto Luongo do for their clubs

dagley
01-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Since when does Portland not winning have to do with not drafting anybody from Saskatchewan? lol.

hobster
01-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Since when does Portland not winning have to do with not drafting anybody from Saskatchewan? lol. Well i was refering to your question about how you were saying Portland is the laughing stock of the WHL. I think one of the reason's why they have struggeled over the past few season's is because there not drafting Sask boys, there's alot of talent here expecially this up and coming draft.

dagley
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
That just makes no sense to me, there is a lot of talent across Western Canada and a few of the American states. I think thats something preposterous to say, that Portland sucks because they have no Saskatchewan boys. Little bias?

hobster
01-22-2008, 12:59 AM
That just makes no sense to me, there is a lot of talent across Western Canada and a few of the American states. I think thats something preposterous to say, that Portland sucks because they have no Saskatchewan boys. Little bias?Well don't you find it wierd that they only have 1 Sask guy on there roster and only 1 on there 50 ppl Bo and Brock Montgomery. All i would say they need atleast 1 scout from sask wich they don't right now. And i know this from a very reliable source.And i really think your limiting your chances of becoming a good team by just skipping past a province like Sask.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Perhaps hobster is suggesting that the hawks need better scouting. Not bias, but if the hawks arent scouting everywhere, then there is a problem. Sask has alot of talent, and if you are only drafting from 3/4ths of the bantam leagues, your chances of succeeding wont be as high.

Which is what one of the blades problem is. Scouting. Something tells me that having Mollekens brother as a scout is similar to having a GM/Head Coach/Head Scout. Portland may have been in a funk for awhile, but they will get out of it soon, seeing as they have a newer staff with guys like Kromm, etc.

Look, Lorne is a good coach, as he proved in Regina. He is a guy who wants a physical team, and he coaches them to play that type of style. Players also respect him... But perhaps getting a new GM that will make decisions benefitial to this new game is important for the blades. Lorne, as I have heard is kind of stuck in the past. The deadline also reflected that perhaps Lorne is hesitant to pull some deals, or that he isnt willing to clean house to build for the future.

So basically retooling some of the staff. A new GM, but still keeping Lorne as coach. Also making a few changes with scouting. Get a new head scout (....no...not one of Molleken's cousins :D).

The Stoon defence looks pretty solid right now. Not all of them want to play forward, but you got two solid puck movers (you know who), along with a few good stay at home guys like Zahn and others to compliment your top 2 young players. Goaltending is fine, once you move Zemlak and get Krahn up. Reassigning him or something ASAP is fine, as Krahn could benefit from a taste of Dub hockey. Keep the future moving. The blades also have a nice core of forwards coming up, as hobster has listed the names a billion times, I dont need to repeat them/learn who they are.

WHEATMAN
01-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Success comes from the top down. For example look at Brandon, we were a team that practically lived in the cellar for the 80's and early 90's, but we got the right personell in Kelly McCrimmon and since then have been the most consistant team in the WHL. Since the Blades won their last pennant in 93-94 how many coaches and GM's have they went through? 5, 6 maybe? I don't know, but what I do know is that, that is an unacceptable number, you need stability, but you need stability with a descent coach/GM and Lorne definetly isn't that. You need scouting too, and I think that is a department where the Blades are severly lacking, I remember a few years back when the Blades were in their "Playoff Run" where they were ousted in the second round, and tonnes of fans were talking about how Gillies was gonna lead the team to a championship and how Justin McCrae was gonna be a top pick and how rebuilding was over etc, etc. It seems with the Blades that bad times just keep getting worse, and I seriously hope that they can get a descent team one of these years.

CatFan
01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey I'm from Alberta, but a team without Sask born players is a team with no soul. Over the years I can't imagine where our franchise would have been without our Sask. boys.

Tidball
01-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Perhaps hobster is suggesting that the hawks need better scouting. Not bias, but if the hawks arent scouting everywhere, then there is a problem. Sask has alot of talent, and if you are only drafting from 3/4ths of the bantam leagues, your chances of succeeding wont be as high.

Which is what one of the blades problem is. Scouting. Something tells me that having Mollekens brother as a scout is similar to having a GM/Head Coach/Head Scout. Portland may have been in a funk for awhile, but they will get out of it soon, seeing as they have a newer staff with guys like Kromm, etc.

Look, Lorne is a good coach, as he proved in Regina. He is a guy who wants a physical team, and he coaches them to play that type of style. Players also respect him... But perhaps getting a new GM that will make decisions benefitial to this new game is important for the blades. Lorne, as I have heard is kind of stuck in the past. The deadline also reflected that perhaps Lorne is hesitant to pull some deals, or that he isnt willing to clean house to build for the future.

So basically retooling some of the staff. A new GM, but still keeping Lorne as coach. Also making a few changes with scouting. Get a new head scout (....no...not one of Molleken's cousins :D).

The Stoon defence looks pretty solid right now. Not all of them want to play forward, but you got two solid puck movers (you know who), along with a few good stay at home guys like Zahn and others to compliment your top 2 young players. Goaltending is fine, once you move Zemlak and get Krahn up. Reassigning him or something ASAP is fine, as Krahn could benefit from a taste of Dub hockey. Keep the future moving. The blades also have a nice core of forwards coming up, as hobster has listed the names a billion times, I dont need to repeat them/learn who they are.

Probably the best and most truthful view yet. Molleken is a good coach. But we need a new GM who will bring in a few players who do not always have to be super physical.