PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2-3 After Trade Deadline

Scout
01-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Broncos 2-3 after trade deadline moves
STEVEN MAH

The Swift Current Broncos improved their record to two wins and three losses since acquiring Bretton Stamler and Jesse Dudas at the Western Hockey League trade deadline on Jan.10th.

On Tuesday, in the first of six remaining meetings with their TransCanada rivals, the Broncos skated into the Moose Jaw Civic Centre and handed the Warriors a 7-4 defeat. For Moose Jaw it was only their third regulation loss on home ice in 22 games.

The Broncos broke the game open with four goals in the opening 10:39 and never allowed the Warriors within two goals on their way to a three goal margin of victory.

Matt Tassone paced the offense with two goals and an assist, while Levi Nelson added one goal and two helpers.

Spencer McAvoy, Justin Dowling, Keegan Dansereau, and Dale Weise with his team leading 24th into an open net, each scored for the Broncos.

Ryley Grantham, Neal Prokop, and Jason Bast replied for the Warriors who fell to 26-14-4-4.

Travis Yonkman turned aside 37 of 41 shots to earn his 20th win of the season.

Todd Mathews allowed five goals on 28 shots to drop to 6-3 in his rookie campaign.

The Broncos powerplay unit connected once in seven opportunities, scoring on a first period Nelson marker. Their penalty killing unit allowed two goals on eight Warriors powerplays.

The Broncos had previously defeated the Warriors in overtime on Sept. 21st and in a shootout on Nov. 24th.

The two teams will meet five more times this season, four of the games will take place in Swift Current beginning on Feb. 1st.

The win improved the Broncos record to 24-20-0-5, six points back of the Medicine Hat Tigers for seventh spot in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

Last Saturday night the host Broncos exacted a physical toll from the Vancouver Giants but allowed two powerplay goals in a 2-1 loss to the visiting Giants.

The Giants counted powerplay goals from Casey Pierro-Zabotel and Evander Kane with Vancouver's powerplay connecting on two of seven opportunities.

Swift Current replied with a third period goal from Geordie Wudrick who tipped in a Bretton Stamler point shot to pull the Broncos within one goal.

The top line of Zack Smith, Dale Weise, and Erik Felde were a dominating physical force all night, but were especially effective in the third period as they attempted to spark a Broncos' comeback with numerous hits that sent Giants sliding across the ice.

Giants goaltender Tyson Sexsmith posted his Western Hockey League leading 30th win of the season by turning aside 18 of 19 shots.

Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman stopped 37 of 39 shots in the loss.

Newly acquired overage blueliner Bretton Stamler believes that the Broncos still have steps to take before they can win games over elite teams like the Giants.

"In spurts yeah, but we lost 2-1 on two powerplay goals. We have been talking about accountability in the room, all over the ice, turnovers, penalties, shift length, and we didn't do it tonight so we still have to take a step."

Stamler feels the Broncos aggressive play needs to be more consistent.

"We knew we were going to have to play physical but the biggest thing for us was to play consistent throughout the entire game because they are a very disciplined team and they are not going to go around you but they are going to go through you. All of their lines do the exact same thing. I think that in order to play that way you have to play physical, you have to play the same way they did and obviously they play a physical game. I think that we matched them at parts in that way. I thought Felde had a couple of good shifts where he was laying the body. But I still think that we need accountability. We have to take a step, that is really key for us because I believe that this is a team that can really make a push and we are not going to be able to do it if we keep taking penalties like that."

After four games with the Broncos Stamler admits that he is beginning to feel more at home in the Broncos uniform.

"I am feeling more comfortable. This team is a lot more skilled than the team I played for in Edmonton. That wasn't a surprise, when I played for Edmonton that was always the big thing was that Swift Current is so skilled, especially up front they have a lot of guys that can make things happen out of nothing. So I am starting to feel more comfortable. But also because guys are so skilled I get the puck when I don't expect it or sometimes when I haven't got it in the past, which is obviously a nice change. But I still think that I have to make some adjustments."

Stamler admits that the guys are watching the Eastern Conference standings closely.

"It is very important and it is the only thing we should be watching as players, not stats, nothing else, just the standings because that is all that matters. This organization has made a commitment to winning at the deadline. You don't pick up a 20-year-old D-man and a 19-year-old D-man and build for the future. That is for now and if they do that I think that the guys have to take notice and realize that this could be the year for us."

On Wednesday the Broncos blitzed the cellar-dwelling Red Deer Rebels with six consecutive first period goals in a 9-3 blowout of the visiting Rebels.

After giving up the game's opening goal, the Broncos stormed back to score six straight goals over a 12:06 span of the first period to take control of the game.

Dale Weise led the Broncos with a hat trick performance, connecting for his 21st, 22nd and 23rd goals of the season. Rookie Mike Brown had a two-goal performance in the win, scoring his second and third goals of the season.

Swift Current also had goals from Zack Smith, Geordie Wudrick, Jan Dalecky and recently acquired Bretton Stamler with his second of the campaign.

Red Deer's Colby Kulhanek scored on a powerplay 2:07 into the opening period, while Brandon Sutter connected for his team leading 15th goal of the season in the middle frame, and Troy Ofukany added a shorthanded goal in the third period.

Yonkman earned his 19th victory of the season by turning aside 17 of 20 shots.

Rebels starting goaltender James Reimer gave up the six first period goals on 12 shots and he ended up turing aside 29 of 38 shots in the loss. Morgan Clark stopped four of four shots he faced during a 1:40 replacement stint in goal.

This Friday the Broncos will face former Broncos forward Brady Leavold and the Kelowna Rockets at 7:30 p.m.

On Saturday the East Division leading Regina Pats will visit the iplex.

Broncos Bits: Vancouver Giants forward Craig Cunningham was suspended one game for his checking from behind major and game misconduct for his hit on Broncos newly acquired defenseman Jesse Dudas that led to a lengthy altercation between all 10 skaters on the ice resulting in 81 minutes in penalties.