PDA

View Full Version : Fans Speak Out

Scout
01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Fans speak out on 2007/08 Broncos
STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

All season Swift Current Bronco followers have read the comments and viewpoints of the players and management of the franchise. But what about the paying public of the community owned franchise?

Bronco fans at Saturday's 2-1 loss to the Vancouver Giants were given the opportunity to voice their opinions about the 2007/08 edition of the Broncos and provided an optimistic view of the team and the recently expanded Credit Union iplex

Scott Schuler, a first-year season ticket holder, likes what he sees from the Broncos this season.

"I think that the team has a lot of potential. When they are focused they can play an excellent game of hockey and they do pretty well. They have some players who are big and fast, that is what I have seen of them so far. When they don't focus they tend to fall apart fast."

As for the Eastern Conference playoffs, Schuler likes the Broncos chances.

"I think that they can do well in the playoffs. I think that there are some teams out there that will give them a definite go for their money, but they have a good base and good coaching so they should do fine."

Schuler is impressed with the new renovations.

"It is about time. The place needed the renovations; the new seats are way more comfortable than the old seats."

Schuler, who has lived in Swift Current for three years and seen a handful of Broncos games prior to this season, thinks that it is possible to increase attendance in the newly expanded iplex

"Put out a good product, advertise for it, and get the younger people first and they will bring in people with them."

Mickey Wallace, a high school student and season ticket holder, thinks the Broncos have improved since last season.

"I like their speed up front this year and they are starting to shoot the puck a little more compared to last year, and their passing as well," said Wallace. "I also like their young guys that actually have some skill."

Wallace realized that the playoffs can be unpredictable, but likes where the team is heading.

"I think that they can go pretty far. It is hard to say right now. The further the season goes on they are doing better."

Local businessman Harv Barker is pleased with some of the additions made to the Broncos during the season.

"I think that Dean has added some power forwards and picked up a few defenseman this year towards the end and I think that we should be a contender down the road."

As for the playoffs, Barker is worried that the Regina Pats may stand in the way of the Broncos and a lengthy playoff run.

"That is hard to say. I think that we can go fairly far, but what I honestly have to say with the Pats, with what the Pats have done with their squad, that could be difficult. But I think that we should go fairly far."

Barker believes that the renovations will reflect well on the City of Swift Current and the Broncos.

"Awesome! This makes us look like a centre like Calgary or a larger centre like Saskatoon. The renovations around here are unbelievable."

Barker also believes that people around Swift Current should support the Broncos.

"That's a tough one, I don't know what we have to do to get more people in here. People just have got to realize what we have for an entity here and what these young kids are doing. I think that we just have to support a little harder."

Season ticket holder Lisa Bulbeck enjoys watching the Broncos this season because they are a hard hitting and fast squad.

She is also optimistic about the Bronco's playoff fate this season.

"I think that if they work hard they can make it fairly far."

Bulbeck also suggested that the Broncos could have more event nights to pack the place.

Ron Elkington has also been entertained by the Broncos this season.

"I just like the speed of the team. It is a lot more entertaining than in the past and it makes the game much more enjoyable," said Elkington.

Elkington is hoping for a second round appearance from the Broncos.

"I hope they get past the first round but it is hard to say. They could be on or off again."

Like many Broncos fans, Elkington is a fan of the renovation project.

"Excellent. I just think this will be a great facility when it is all finished."

Elkington also had some suggestions on how to fill the iplex.

"They have to keep an exciting brand of hockey and I guess get the word out. I think that it is an entertaining team, they may not win every game but they sure are entertaining to watch."

Kevin Zerr believes that the Broncos are coming together at the right time.

"I think that what is happening now is that we are starting to get the team gelling and some of the players that maybe were taking their time at the start are coming together and it is looking like they are going to have a run yet."

Zerr is also weary of the Regina Pats looming in the playoffs.

"I think they are going to do okay. Regina is going to be a hard one, which they may have in the first round unless they move up in the standings."

Zerr is also impressed with the renovations.

"Yeah, they look great. I am really happy with them."

Zerr is also a believer that the product on the ice will sell the tickets off the ice.

"I guess one of the best things that they can do now is just keep winning and keep a good product on the ice and that will bring fans out."