PDA

View Full Version : Tips 5 @ PG 4 - F/SO

old_time_hockey
01-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Too bad about the loss...but what a final minute! I jumped out of my chair when Tyrell tied it. Got a point, great effort. Only negative was the 0/8 on the PP. Even if they score 1 PP goal this is probably a different game.

As the game went on the Cougs seemed to really put their nose to the grind stone. Cyr I think is was full value for first star.

It is exciting hockey like that the Cougars need to draw the fans back into the Train Yard.

PGFlyfisher
01-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Yesterday I criticized the boys for their worst effort since the trade deadline.
Talk about a turnaround!
Last night was their best effort since that time! Great work by everyone, for 60+minutes.
I don' t mind a loss like that to a great team like Everett.
Keep your chins up boys, you' ve got a lot to be proud of!

On a side note. Does anyone else miss seeing Gendur in a Cougars jersey? :eek:

smileyjones
01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Can't recall seeing him in his Cougars jersey all that much....I do remember seeing him wandering the concourse in his suit for about 1.5 yrs.

Hell of a talent though.

TwoBits
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Gee Old Time, if I didn't know any better I'd think you were a closet Cougars fan. :D

I think we were all worried that all the losing had effected their attitude. So I guess we can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that hasn't happened.

Was I the only person surprised that Dana Tyrell didn't make an appearance in the shootout. I think the coach addressed it in the post game show but I couldn't hear him or Hunt, and what's up with that, don't they get a headset when they are interviewed?

There is now a 16 point difference, GO BRUINS :laugh: !!!!

WestLEAFfan
01-26-2008, 01:08 AM
With the CANES coming to town next, the competition definitely isn't getting any easier. Let's hope the effort is there again for that game. Keep it rolling boys. And, CYR needs to start again!

puckmam
01-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Yes he should start! Not many games left in his hockey career and he has gone above and beyond to make PG proud!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-26-2008, 03:37 PM
With the CANES coming to town next, the competition definitely isn't getting any easier. Let's hope the effort is there again for that game. Keep it rolling boys. And, CYR needs to start again!

If we bring our A game for 60 minutes you will see a quick entertaining hockey team. You guys will have to play great to win. Good luck.

old_time_hockey
01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Gee Old Time, if I didn't know any better I'd think you were a closet Cougars fan. :D

I think we were all worried that all the losing had effected their attitude. So I guess we can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that hasn't happened.

Was I the only person surprised that Dana Tyrell didn't make an appearance in the shootout. I think the coach addressed it in the post game show but I couldn't hear him or Hunt, and what's up with that, don't they get a headset when they are interviewed?

There is now a 16 point difference, GO BRUINS :laugh: !!!!

I am a closet Cougar fan. I grew up in Kitimat which is a 630Km drive west of PG. Used to go to some Cougs game without getting a hotel room because I had to work the next day. Leave at 9am to get there around 4 or 5pm depending on weather. Then hit the car right after the game and drive back. Sometimes would make it a hockey/skiing weekend and stop in Smithers on the way home.

That is why I am so choked with the way managment is running this team that used to pack the joint and play a game that would get me to drive all that way if I could beg, borrow or steal a ticket. But then again back then the Cougars would advertise in the Kitimat paper. If they were smart they would advertise again and have a promo with a local hotel and get a good package price.

TwoBits
01-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Now that you mention it, I think I knew that about you.

Was the team that much better in the beginning or was WHL in PG new and a novelty? I'm just trying to figure out if the management was bad from the beginning and nobody noticed.

So are you listening to the game tonight? I must have nerve damage because trailing 5-0 doesn't seem to hurt. Everybody on the team will be getting a good workout tonight with only 15 players.

old_time_hockey
01-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah there was some of the it's new, but they were always in the playoffs. And it wasn't that they had a crazy talent that went onto to great things team either. Like take the 1996/97 season. That was the season that I graduated highschool and must say that I skipped a fair number of Fridays to head to PG. The forward that did the most in his career was a rookie by the name of Tyler Bouck who played a grand total of 12 games that season. But would be big for them in future years. 2 most notable D men were Zdeno Chara and Eric Brewer. That team finished the season 8 games under .500, but fought it out in 15 playoff games. And that was the building blocks for many consecutive years. They always had the right mix of "stars" and guys that wouldn't really go even onto IHL/AHL careers even, but they were close knit teams. And when the barn was packed, it was awsome.

TwoBits
01-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey, did you watch the NHL skills competition tonight? Chara won the hardest shot at 103.1 mph.

A team needs players that people want to come out to watch and they don't have to be superstars either. Back when I lived in Saskatoon and followed the Blades my favourite players were smaller or gritty players that you knew weren't going to get a shot in the NHL, soley based on their size, but you loved to watch them play.

I don't know what the Brodskys' problem is, it's not like they didn't have any experience coming into PG. I guess you can draft the best players in the league, but if they refuse to report, what do you do? As for the marketing, that seems to be a common complaint for more than one team. I guess the best way to market your team is to win.

It looks like PG has some promise for the future. I just hope these youngsters don't seriously injure themselves trying to make it through this season. I think we may have lost another guy due to injury tonight.