PDA

View Full Version : Penner, Aasman.....etc.

eye4aneye
01-26-2008, 07:15 AM
That would be great if Penner sees some icetime this year and Aasman joins the club when his season ends. Gives the 19 year olds a push to work harder for a 20 yr old position in the league next year...

Raider Fan 88
01-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree it will be great to see Penner back in the line up. Sounds like he really wants to play. Congrats for making good decisions Penner!

eye4aneye
01-27-2008, 05:15 PM
maybe he just needed a little time to figure things out. I don't know too many parents that would let their offspring move at 16. So giving a kid a little extra time seems ok.

Raider Fan 88
01-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Hopefully he doesn't blow his chance of coming back. Sure the guys on the team might not like him but they have to put themselves in Cole's shoes.. the only one this year that can is Button. Look at how many 17 year old rookies there are as opposed to 16! Congrats to Penner coming back hopefully he will show everyone what he is made of! Can't wait to see him in the lineup on Saturday Feb. 9th! :clap:

Douglas
01-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I’m not normally one to throw cold water on anyone, but you need to be careful not to expect too much from young Penner. First, he hasn’t seen ice since early December, and most certainly is not in game shape. The amount of time left in the season isn’t enough to fix that.

Second, Penner has never had to exhibit the mental discipline required to get past obstacles requiring more than minimal exertion. I believe that this was the true reason Penner had so much difficulty this last year. Facing adversity will make you stronger, or make you fold, so far this season he’s folded at each chance.

Let’s hope the past year has developed his character allowing him greater wisdom and strength for the coming weeks and month. In any event, he’s going to need time and effort to stay the course and work to earn a spot. He’ll need to earn the respect of the guys on the team, only then will he be able to make a real difference. I for one am just going to sit back to wait and see what happends.

Raider Fan 88
01-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok so in all fairness when you were 16 did you leave everything at home and move to a city 7 hours away? I'm sure you didn't go from sleeping in your own bed and having your parents at every hockey game and then go to some other city where you are looked at as a rookie to the league, going to a new school and trying to prove to people on the team you want to be here. I know for certain not everyone can do this. Over this last hockey season sure he's had his ups and downs but don't just count him out. And you may think he hasn't seen any ice but no one really knows that but him... a game is different then going out and play a game but i do believe that even hitting the ice is a lot better then sitting on the couch watching tv. Every player comes to the point of injury. It happens when they are young (Penner) or in their last year (May) Don't count Penner out... He is one that wants to win and I'm sure we'll see that

TheSnowman
01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't know Penner at all or his situation that well but for all the trash that has been talked of him on here, I just thought I'd throw in my two cents that there a couple people I know who ARE a little closer to him and actually commended his maturity. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now and say it was just a bit of a shock to the system. Like 88 above me said, that can't be an easy transition. Not every player will deal with it the same.

RebelsFan
01-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Many players around the league move away from home at 16 every year. Very few have the year Mr. Penner has. I tend to believe where there's smoke there's fire. There must be something about this young man that strikes his teammates the wrong way. We have 16 year olds in Red Deer every year as does every WHL team.
It's great that you are a vocal Penner fan and I hope he can turn it around. He has a very short window to do it. Sometimes you have to believe what is said here as well. He would be well served to go into the room with his tail between his legs and ask for a little forgiveness from his team mates right off the bat. I would agree that not everyone can move away from home but the majority of the 16 year olds who play in the WHL can and do. So when people on the forum say that he is immature, are they wrong?

whlhockeyfan13
01-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Rebelsfan. I know several 16 year olds in the league who show professionalism and respect for their team, fans and coaches. Regardless of if you are a Penner fan or not, he may bring the crowds back to the games as people may want to check out what the hype is about!

OldRaiderFan
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree with TheSnowman, many people are trash talking a 16 year old hockey player. I have talked to some of the players and they can't believe Penner and Jagow are being treated so bad by people on this board. We don't know all the details of what went on between Penner and Clarke. We can only assume. I hope that PA gives this kid a break when he returns.

whlhockeyfan13
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
All I can say is lets get some fans in the stands and show our support! yeehoo

eye4aneye
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I agree with TheSnowman, many people are trash talking a 16 year old hockey player. I have talked to some of the players and they can't believe Penner and Jagow are being treated so bad by people on this board. We don't know all the details of what went on between Penner and Clarke. We can only assume. I hope that PA gives this kid a break when he returns.
Thinks people are reading waaaaaaay to much into this Penner thing. I am glad the kid is here and practicing with the team. I hope this means that his rib injury has healed properly. He got a bad deal is Brooks getting cleared to play and only reinjuring his ribs. I think we should move forward instead of hypothetcating with the past. ( I think I made up a word!!)
vc178

eye4aneye
01-30-2008, 12:43 PM
haha. you definetly made up a new word there.
I kinda like it....should phone the dictionary people :p

TheSnowman
01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
I wanted to hypothecate last night but the old ball and chain wouldn't let me :(

RebelsFan
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Nice try guys. It's already a word.

hy·poth·e·cate (h-pth-kt)
tr.v. hy·poth·e·cat·ed, hy·poth·e·cat·ing, hy·poth·e·cates

To pledge (property) as security or collateral for a debt without transfer of title or possession.

eye4aneye
01-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Nice try guys. It's already a word.

hy·poth·e·cate (h-pth-kt)
tr.v. hy·poth·e·cat·ed, hy·poth·e·cat·ing, hy·poth·e·cates

To pledge (property) as security or collateral for a debt without transfer of title or possession.
vci22 vci22 vci22 vci22 vci22 vci22 vci22 vci22 vci22

I am in debt to youuuuuuuuuuuuu :laugh:

eye4aneye
01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Well it was for sure used wrong . haha

But it is MY word in my worlddddddddd

TheSnowman
01-30-2008, 07:12 PM
damn dictionaries, always ruining our fun..

eye4aneye
01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
damn dictionaries, always ruining our fun..
spelling things phonetically is always fun.... vci11

Dwight Schrute
02-02-2008, 02:58 PM
aasman played last night, and the raiders dressed 7 d. i didnt think aasman would be joining the team quite yet

eye4aneye
02-02-2008, 05:12 PM
aasman played last night, and the raiders dressed 7 d. i didnt think aasman would be joining the team quite yet
we only dressed 6 dman, white is out with an injury. 38 stitches to the back of the leg.

whlhockeyfan13
02-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Ouch!

TheSnowman
02-02-2008, 10:16 PM
high school friend of mine fell through a glass table and cut her shin for 40.. you could actually see bone :confused: (just to be clear, we never said she was smart for standing on a glass table in the first place)

eye4aneye
02-02-2008, 11:49 PM
uhhhh my leg is starting to have sympathy pains for these people!

Dwight Schrute
02-03-2008, 05:30 PM
we only dressed 6 dman, white is out with an injury. 38 stitches to the back of the leg.
they had white listed as dressed on friday when aasman played

dubnut
02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
This is my opinion based on some inside knowledge with family/friends who have had kids in WHL hockey and some scouts I have had conversations with. Unless a 16 year old kid is going to play in the top 2 lines, he should not be in the WHL. He is far better developing AT HOME in AAA. Even if the level of hockey is lower there the other benefits far, far outway any advantage the player will get leaving home (often for the first time in his life), living away from home, changing schools, leaving his friends, adjusting to a new team and a new place on that team, to play at a higher level. Anyone who tries to sell that jargon to a 16 yr. old player and his parents are definitely concerned only for the immediate perceived benefit to the team and does not have the best for the kid in mind at all. I am saying this for all players who will not make the top two lines (Top end players may be advantaged to play at this level.) These kids do not have the mental and emotional maturity to handle the huge change in their status and their comfort zones. Going from being the star player on a team to sitting on the bench, game after game...getting a couple of shift a game, not dressing and being left behind on road trips is no way to prepare a 15/16 yr old player for the hockey road ahead. Throw in some injuries because they are often smaller and are still dealing with growth plates thus injuries are far more serious in these kids and they sit out a lot...and a great potential player begins to lose motivation, gets homesick, disheartened, loses his place on the team due to rehab and reconditioning and he's fighting for the spot he was wooed in training camp to take, then gets traded because he's not producing like the super star he was supposed to be, and it all equals the sum total of a dream gone very wrong. Take instead, a kid who's parents say no to the bright future of WHL hockey at 16, put him back into AAA where he has another year to develop at home. (I emphasize parents because far too many parents make the mistake of allowing the kid to make this choice. They argue that it is his life, he should be the one making the decision. Wrong. That is why the good lord had children born to parents with brains and not sprouting on oak trees...until the child has had a chance to mature, the parent is the one who knows what is best for their minor aged kids...or atleast should.)

If a team wants a kid at 16, don't tell me they won't want him after another full year of tons of icetime being no #1 on a AAA team. He's got another year of maturity under his belt and he has had a whole year to prepare for this big move in his life. He comes into the league as a rookie 17 year old, much closer to independence and much more ready for the hard road ahead. And Junior A hockey is a hard road, especially if you are not going to be a first liner. Realities of life begin on day 1 in the dressing room when you discover you've traded your dad for a hard nosed coach and an amiable but still not your dad, billet. So many kids who were excellent prospects have gone the road of disappointment and anonimity because they played too young. One scout told me the team he works for always tells the parents that they look at what is best for the team. It is up to the parent to decide what is best for their son. Beleive me too many parents see the next Sidney Crosby in their sons and make foolish choices. I don't know what happened to this Penner you are talking about on this thread other than he must have been injured and fell out of sorts with the coach and went home. My message to his parents would be KEEP HIM HOME till next year. The coach and GM are not god! You can make a choice based on what is best for your son all around, not just for the moment. It could have a much more positive impact on his hockey future than you might think. The glory of WHL hockey is all on the outside. Once you get in it is a hard road. It can be a very rewarding road and the best thing that could happen to a player but he has to be ready and able to pay the price for that reward. When they're not ready...it can be a very, very disappointing experience.

Raiderfan8
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Just wanted to point out Ryan Harrison is 12th in League scoring in the BC Midget AAA hockey league.

10 Ryan Harrison F Kelowna Mar 31, 1992 5ft 10in 175 31 16 23 39 78

whlhockeyfan13
02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow Dubnut that was very well said. It has given me more to think about.