PDA

View Full Version : Pats 2 @ Broncos 3 SO

Big Ern
01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
It felt very good to get tonight's win. Once again, the Broncos came out and played a decent game with Regina in town, and ended up with a shootout win.

I thought there were a lot of positives and a few negatives to tonight's game, but the weekend in general is a big positive.

Starting with the forwards...I thought our young guys once again had a good game. The line of Dowling/Dalecky/Eakin has worked extremely hard this weekend to help with the two wins. Geordie Wudrick brought a great game again, as did Zack Smith and another one or two of our veteran forwards. Wudrick seems to have gotten a boost from the prospects game, and has really played well lately. Smitty did what he does best..he did the little things right, and played a solid all-around game. Dale Weise tonight was not dominant, but still very effective. Sometimes you barely notice great play out there. Dale made sure he got noticed in the end though, when he lit Rowatt up in the shootout. Matt Tassone had another great game..I sure hope scouts are taking notice. Tazz beat Rowatt one on one twice, including his shootout goal which ended up being the winner. There were a few mishaps on our forward line-up however. Swift Current had some glorious chances to put the game away, and just could not capitalize on most of the centering feeds, etc. etc. It brough a lot of OOOhs and AAAAhs from the crowd, but the guys have to put chances like that away when they get them. As we saw, the missed opportunities led to a shootout tonight...not always the best situation.

The defense was on their game tonight again. They did a good job to choke the Pats on a few occasions...the 2-0 lead lasted for a long time. Although the Pats tied it, our defense still kept them at bay from there, sending the game to a shootout. Eric Doyle ws noticeable..he rushed only when it was safe and showed some great patience. Jesse Dudas was perhaps the best defenseman, doing a great job to block things up, and power guys off the puck. He earned a star for his efforts. And Travis Yonkman was good as well. He stopped Regina on a few great chances, and let in the first goal of the shootout, but came back and stopped Eberle and McAngus short in the circus to win the game. Yonks was on his game. So defensively, I don't think you can complain too much tonight.

How about the penalties? I thought the Broncos were a LOT more disciplined than last night, but there were still some penalties taken that were abseloutely brutal, and could have badly hurt our team tonight. Hopefully the guy(s) that took those penalties will step up next game versus Saskatoon. As for the officiating, it was average tonight.... There was one call that I would consider questionable and a pile of missed calls, but the referees did not dominate the game, which is the main thing.

And the Pats? I think they are in trouble. Seriously. They are a very powerful team when it comes to a long game, and so on. But their slowness is un-missable. As a result, they hook, hassle, and hold their opponents without end. They were very lucky not to have a whistle-happy official on the ice tonight, or it would have been lights out. They can win games by over-powering teams and working hard, but such was not the case tonight...the Broncos were too fast. Another thing I noticed was a cold Logan Pyett. Logie made some passes right to the tapes of Swift Current sticks, and didn't look to be on his game at all. For the Pats to win, their captain has to bring his game. Very uncharacteristic of Logan. Anyway..I guess we can truly say the Broncos are better, after amassing a 4 and 2 record this season when playing Regina. But that's not what matters...really. The real story will be told when we get to playoffs.

So overall, a very successful weekend for our team! Have they turned the corner? We have reason to believe so. I think the Broncos learned a lot from a team like Vancouver coming in. Vancouver's intensity and determination was unmissable...the guys must have taken it to heart and realized what it takes to win championships. All of a sudden, the Broncos are sitting with 57 points, and four of their next five games coming up versus Saskatoon. Having said that, for the life of me, I hope they don't the Blades lightly. Saskatoon has played very well of late. But right now, our team looks to be in a pretty good state...they are confident, and playing very well. Let's keep it rolling!

NOTES:

-I want to thank some Pats' fans who made the trip to Swift Current tonight for their attendance. I had a chance to meet patsdude114, who was obviously in attendance tonight. He was pouring back the beers. lol haha Just kidding...but I did see him at the beer stand. lol

-how about the crowds lately??! We seem to be hitting 2000 and over for the last little while...that's great news. You gotta credit the marketing staff.

-HOLY MACKERAL!!! For the first time this year, there are highlights on CTV news from Swift Current. The CTV crew in Queen City has completely avoided us this year, unless the Broncos play in Regina or Moose Jaw. And on CTV fan appreciation night, by jinx, they got highlights! :) Wow.

-HUGE home and home coming up with the Blades...the Broncos can't take a single shift off, because it will hurt them.

-have a great rest of the weekend!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

CrazyGeorge
01-27-2008, 02:00 AM
It seems to me that Dean has been pretty consistent with line combos the last little while.
1) Felde Smith Weise
2) Tassone Nelson Dansereau
3) Wudrick Eakin Dowling
4) Dalecky Steiler McAvoy
Hoban
Brown

Are those lines what seem to be most consistent? That's three solid lines deep and the fourth line appears to be clicking, especially Steiler and Dalecky from what I'm hearing and such.

Scout
01-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Last updated at 12:49 AM on 27/01/08

Broncos win third straight with 3-2 shootout victory over Pats
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos defeated the visiting Regina Pats 3-2 in a shootout to end the Pats seven-game winning streak on Saturday night.

Swift Current got regulation goals from Matt Tassone, and Geordie Wudrick and shootout goals from Tassone and Dale Weise to win for only the second time in seven shootouts this season.

Regina replied with regulation goals from Michael MacAngus on a penalty shot and J.D. Watt, while Jordan Eberle and MacAngus were both stopped in the shootout after Rudolf Cerveny opened the shootout with a goal.

The Broncos looked to have the game in hand after a solid opening 40 minutes of play that led to a 2-0 lead.

Tassone opened the scoring with 3:28 remaining in the first period when he collected a shot that was blocked by Keegan Dansereau at the Broncos blueline and raced down the ice untouched beating Linden Rowat to the blocker side for his 13th of the season.

Tassone has now registered four goals and two assists in his last three games.

Just moments after Jesse Dudas fired a shot off the left post and a Regina penalty expired Wudrick shoveled in a rebound off a Weise shot that trickled through Rowat and lay on the goalline momentarily. The second period marker equaled the 13 goals Wudrick registered in his rookie campaign and was his fourth goal in as many games.

The Broncos however were unable to hold the two-goal lead as they allowed a penalty shot goal to MacAngus and the game tying goal to Watt midway through the final frame.

The Pats had the best chance to end the game in overtime when Scott Doucet fired a puck wide of an open net with two minutes elapsed in the four on four period.

Yonkman was solid in goal for the Broncos stopping 29 of 31 shots and two of three shooters in the shootout to improve his record to 20-18-0-5.

Rowat allowed two goals on 31 shots and failed to stop either shot he faced in the shootout to lower his record to 24-11-3-2.

The win clinches a 4-2 season-series win for the Broncos over their East Division rivals.

The win improves the Broncos record to 26-20-0-5 to remain in eighth place in the Eastern Conference, while the Pats drop to 32-15-3-2 and remain in second place in the Eastern Conference behind the Calgary Hitmen.

Speedy Broncs
01-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Nice way to finish off the weekend - 4 points against 2 good teams!!! We had the advantage during the first 2 periods last night, but sat back on our heels for the 3rd and the Pats took advantage of that! Solid effort from our d-men again and Yonks made some great saves - 2 solid ones in the shootout!! Tassone continues to impress - no star?? dansereau 1st star??????????????????????

Win/Lose/Draw last night, I have to question the "Average officiating", Big Ern ....... I'm thinking cue the circus music! Must be hard for these players to know what they can and cannot do each night, as the officiating is as inconsistent as ever. If Thiessen (the show)/Dean (along for the ride) were doing last night's game, we would have never had a 5 on 5 ..... slashing, interference, high stick inside the visor, x-checking. Byblow/Crich - your calls and non-calls could have easily spiralled out of control ... consider yourselves fortuneate that did not happen. You could see the frustration on both sides - the tripping call on Wilson and Byblow's make-up tripping call to Eberle on the power play were very "interesting" calls. Give me Savage - at least you'll know what you are getting night after night.

A bunch of guys around me (me included) are not sure of the reason why Kennedy did not get an instigator when he jumped McAvoy from behind and started feeding him. Byblow had a good chat with Hunt, took in DePape's acting on the bench, and gave McAvoy an extra 2 minutes ... DePape was back out shortly thereafter for his regular shifts. I don't believe McAvoy returned after having his head drove into the ice on the jump from behind, btw.

Good job, Broncs - keep it rolling against Saskatoon!!

stick boy
01-27-2008, 10:12 AM
The fact that Tassone was not the first star is comical, he was hands down the best player on the ice last night for either team.

His stock is rising quick

Flathead
01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
It felt very good to get tonight's win. Once again, the Broncos came out and played a decent game with Regina in town, and ended up with a shootout win.

I thought there were a lot of positives and a few negatives to tonight's game, but the weekend in general is a big positive.

Starting with the forwards...I thought our young guys once again had a good game. The line of Dowling/Dalecky/Eakin has worked extremely hard this weekend to help with the two wins. Geordie Wudrick brought a great game again, as did Zack Smith and another one or two of our veteran forwards. Wudrick seems to have gotten a boost from the prospects game, and has really played well lately. Smitty did what he does best..he did the little things right, and played a solid all-around game. Dale Weise tonight was not dominant, but still very effective. Sometimes you barely notice great play out there. Dale made sure he got noticed in the end though, when he lit Rowatt up in the shootout. Matt Tassone had another great game..I sure hope scouts are taking notice. Tazz beat Rowatt one on one twice, including his shootout goal which ended up being the winner. There were a few mishaps on our forward line-up however. Swift Current had some glorious chances to put the game away, and just could not capitalize on most of the centering feeds, etc. etc. It brough a lot of OOOhs and AAAAhs from the crowd, but the guys have to put chances like that away when they get them. As we saw, the missed opportunities led to a shootout tonight...not always the best situation.

The defense was on their game tonight again. They did a good job to choke the Pats on a few occasions...the 2-0 lead lasted for a long time. Although the Pats tied it, our defense still kept them at bay from there, sending the game to a shootout. Eric Doyle ws noticeable..he rushed only when it was safe and showed some great patience. Jesse Dudas was perhaps the best defenseman, doing a great job to block things up, and power guys off the puck. He earned a star for his efforts. And Travis Yonkman was good as well. He stopped Regina on a few great chances, and let in the first goal of the shootout, but came back and stopped Eberle and McAngus short in the circus to win the game. Yonks was on his game. So defensively, I don't think you can complain too much tonight.

How about the penalties? I thought the Broncos were a LOT more disciplined than last night, but there were still some penalties taken that were abseloutely brutal, and could have badly hurt our team tonight. Hopefully the guy(s) that took those penalties will step up next game versus Saskatoon. As for the officiating, it was average tonight.... There was one call that I would consider questionable and a pile of missed calls, but the referees did not dominate the game, which is the main thing.

And the Pats? I think they are in trouble. Seriously. They are a very powerful team when it comes to a long game, and so on. But their slowness is un-missable. As a result, they hook, hassle, and hold their opponents without end. They were very lucky not to have a whistle-happy official on the ice tonight, or it would have been lights out. They can win games by over-powering teams and working hard, but such was not the case tonight...the Broncos were too fast. Another thing I noticed was a cold Logan Pyett. Logie made some passes right to the tapes of Swift Current sticks, and didn't look to be on his game at all. For the Pats to win, their captain has to bring his game. Very uncharacteristic of Logan. Anyway..I guess we can truly say the Broncos are better, after amassing a 4 and 2 record this season when playing Regina. But that's not what matters...really. The real story will be told when we get to playoffs.

So overall, a very successful weekend for our team! Have they turned the corner? We have reason to believe so. I think the Broncos learned a lot from a team like Vancouver coming in. Vancouver's intensity and determination was unmissable...the guys must have taken it to heart and realized what it takes to win championships. All of a sudden, the Broncos are sitting with 57 points, and four of their next five games coming up versus Saskatoon. Having said that, for the life of me, I hope they don't the Blades lightly. Saskatoon has played very well of late. But right now, our team looks to be in a pretty good state...they are confident, and playing very well. Let's keep it rolling!

NOTES:

-I want to thank some Pats' fans who made the trip to Swift Current tonight for their attendance. I had a chance to meet patsdude114, who was obviously in attendance tonight. He was pouring back the beers. lol haha Just kidding...but I did see him at the beer stand. lol

-how about the crowds lately??! We seem to be hitting 2000 and over for the last little while...that's great news. You gotta credit the marketing staff.

-HOLY MACKERAL!!! For the first time this year, there are highlights on CTV news from Swift Current. The CTV crew in Queen City has completely avoided us this year, unless the Broncos play in Regina or Moose Jaw. And on CTV fan appreciation night, by jinx, they got highlights! :) Wow.

-HUGE home and home coming up with the Blades...the Broncos can't take a single shift off, because it will hurt them.

-have a great rest of the weekend!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!
Good recap Ern. We have a chance to go on a serious winning streak here, the schedule is in our favor, but we cannot take the weaker teams light, we have to take it to them like we're playing Kelowna.
Did CTV show the highlights? They usually don't when the Pats lose.
Patsdude, hmmm, got an idea who he might have been.
I think Wudrick is back to the way he was for the first ten or twelve games and it's good to see.
It does have to get frustrating for the players with the officiating. Last nights game was called totally opposite than Friday nights game. they never know what to expect. When we were getting all those penalties on Friday night I really think Dean should have called over an official and had a chat with him, but he didn't and we kept getting the calls. And like Speedy said the tripping call on Wilson was weak, but then the "make up" call on Eberle was even worse. Kennedy probally should have got 2, 5, and a game and Mac could have got 5 minutes for checking from behind, imo. I love a rough tough game and sometimes there's nothing better than a good ol' hockey scrap, but checking from behind has to be eliminated from the game. I realize sometimes the recipient turns into it at the last second to protect the puck and there's nothing a guy can do to stop in mid check, guys have to stop turning to face the glass as well.
Our defense was good before but the additions of Dudas and Stamler take our defense to another level and when Claffey gets back we'll have another shut down dman. Good job guys.

johnny47
01-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I was wondering why there wasn't an instigator penalty assessed as well. I looked into it and turns out that there is no minor penalty if the other player doesn't fight back. I guess this rule is in force to avoid teams having a 7 minute powerplay. The refs got that call right.

Speedy Broncs
01-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks, johnny. What a STUPID rule ----- so if one team wants to send a Tidball-type player after Eberle in the playoffs with the intent of taking him out for the game, all that player would get is 5 and a game (likely a suspension as well)? Instigating is instigating, no matter if the other guy fights back or not!!

ointhecreek
01-27-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm getting a little worried about some of Yonkmans style changes as of late. Seems to be sliding across way to far and leaving a wide open net to shoot at if their pass connects. Not sure if the goal coach is having him do this or not but we are lucky we didn't lose it in overtime when the Pat player missed a wide open net.

stick boy
01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
The ref clearly blew the call on the McAvoy/Kennedy fight.

47.11 Instigator - An instigator of an altercation fight shall be a player or
goalkeeper who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some
of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch
thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats;
conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious
retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.

Rule 47 - Fighting
47.1 Fighting – A fight shall be deemed to have occurred when at least
one player (or goalkeeper) punches or attempts to punch an opponent
repeatedly or when two players wrestle in such a manner as to make
it difficult for the Linesmen to intervene and separate the combatants.

Kennedy met at least four instigating criteria, and according to the fighting definition it was unquestionably a fight, it does not say anywhere that both must throw punches. I think the WHL owes the Broncos an explanation of this because the rule was clearly misinterpreted by two referees and two linesman.

patsdude114
01-27-2008, 01:49 PM
well for my comment on the post about the instigator penalty (or non instigator that is) if Chich, Byblow gave a instigator penalty to Kennedy they would of only been able to give him a 10 min misconduct instead of the game misconduct he received. Yes McAvoy didnt fight back so a 5 min major and a game misconduct was the correct call, cuz its a attempt to injure instead of a fight. The WHL doesnt have to give the broncos a explaination for what happened. It was dealt with on the ice by the officials and it was the correct call to begin with.

As for the rest of the game honestly i have seen both teams play alot better, I thought the game was really flat on both sides. The Broncos didnt really use their speed as i have seen in the past. I think both teams used alot of energy in their games on friday night. From the sounds of it the Broncos played there best all around game of the year against the Rockets (just the feedback i was getting from Bronco fans around me).

I had a ton of fun in the Iplex last night, yes the beers were flowing down like water 7 beers at the game 3 schooners at BPs before the game. I had my beer goggles on in the 3rd that is forsure. I must make a comment on 1 fan up in the box to the left of us tho. I got him all rattled up with Oh Canada by yelling out between the 2nd last and last line "LETS GO PATS" (i do this every game at the Brandt center) after Oh Canada he was giving us the finger, and after MacAngus scored on the penalty shot he had jestured to my buddy to meet him in the parking lot. The fans standing behind us during the game were great, talked with them tons made little punches on both sides (dealing with the game) all in all was a great time.

I love what the City of Swift Current has done to the Iplex (if i remember correctly the Iplex is a City Owned building, please correct me if im wrong) the upgrades looked amazing, I havent been to swifty since the opening game of the season, last season.

Had a great time, the people of Swifty were alot of fun, exempt is the dude in the box. 4 pats fans just trying to have fun not looking for trouble. The guys behind us after the shoot out win (for the Broncos) we shook their hands and each guy said they all had alot of fun with us.

ointhecreek
01-27-2008, 03:13 PM
I must make a comment on 1 fan up in the box to the left of us tho. I got him all rattled up with Oh Canada by yelling out between the 2nd last and last line "LETS GO PATS" (i do this every game at the Brandt center)
You have to remember tho, you weren't at the Brandt and you were cheering for the pats. Some of our fans do this but wait for the last line. Disrespectful to do it before, imo, but not a real big deal.

he was giving us the finger, and after MacAngus scored on the penalty shot he had jestured to my buddy to meet him in the parking lot.
Yeah, not much class there and let me apologize for some of the bad bunch we have, every building has them. Not trying to start anything but I have seen and heard from other teams fans, worse from Pat fans. The Tiger fans come a close second, got harassed a lot in the arena when I lived there and cheered for the broncos.

Had a great time, the people of Swifty were alot of fun, exempt is the dude in the box. 4 pats fans just trying to have fun not looking for trouble. The guys behind us after the shoot out win (for the Broncos) we shook their hands and each guy said they all had alot of fun with us.
Glad you enjoyed yourself and hope you made it home with out incident.

patsdude114
01-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Oh i know there are these ppl in every building.... i was talking to some people behind us and they said they went to Red Deer a couple years ago and they got spit on... now to me thats no class at all... some of the fun is going to other buildings and having a fun rivialry with the other fans... but yes some take it alittle to far...

Oh well it wasnt that we went to SC to fight we went to have fun, but if someone wanted to fight cuz they were being a dick we would of been more then willing to also.. good thing it didnt come down to that but was a great time.

stick boy
01-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Patsdude, read the rule, if one player throws or tries to throw more then one punch then it is by definition a fight. So an instigator should have been called. You can't just make up your own rules to suit which team you are cheering for, nor can the referees alter the rules during a game. This is why the WHL would likely be taking a look at this because the they don't want referees coming up with their own rules. Questioning referees judgement is one thing, but they have to know what the rules are when they show up to the rink.

RV@BBB
01-27-2008, 05:00 PM
from the sounds of it Mac was jump unexpectedly, which is cowardly, and reminds me of another huge incident Bertuzzi/Moore. I think there should be automatic suspensions and fines to the team as well ascoaches. Fighting already gets a bad rap because of incidents like these emotions don't create stupidity.... stupidity is unto itself a selfish act. Fighting is part of hockey and that won't change but there has to be a level of accountability for the player and the coaches. Laraque is a close friend of mine and hes a great guy but he has respect for everyone on the ice. If its your job to be the tough guy then you do your job if its young job to be a hazard to someones health you should go elsewhere. Otherwise we'll have another steve downey. ridiculous. and don't say its an emotion thing. they know right from wrong. ridiculous.

patsdude114
01-28-2008, 01:48 PM
All im saying is there is a reason why no instigator was called... and Kennedy didnt get suspended for his actions, his suspension was cuz of his problems with game misconducts. Those type of fights happen all the time no matter if its the WHL or the NHL or any other league. McAvoy hit Strueby from behind, McAvoy should of known someone was going ot come to Struebys defence. Do i agree with Kennedy's actions how he kept beating him while turtleing on the ice.. No i do not, Id much rather see they wait till a faceoff and fight from there cause of the hit. Then there is no chance of the instigator penalty (as it is the worse rule in hockey to date) and both players are square and know there in a fight by then lol.

And i am NOT changing or making up rules for my own team... i think i have made enough posts on whlfans for most people to know im the farest thing from a homer. Yes i cheer for the Pats, but im a fan of the sport. I watch games as a fan 2nd then a Pats fan. If i wasnt a fan of the sport and only a pats fan do u think i would go to 8 warrior games, without the pats playing.. I do not F*CKEN think so.

I love reading posts for all whl fans on this site, i got a ton of respect for numerous posters on here.......ei big ern, wardog, beaner, some arrogant jerk just to name a few there views are as a hockey fan 1st then there teams 2nd. There are a ton of ppl on here that are true homers and only see things with there team colors on. Now yes with that said I know the Pats have the biggest homer for a radio guy, but that doesnt mean i agree with his comments either.

Another thing i really liked about going to broncos territory was, your radio show after the game, the coach you guys had on spoke very well for the game..... no he didnt just look at what the Broncos done, he pointed out things the Pats did and then said what how the Broncos replied to excute their game. We need more coaches like that on after game shows.

transplantedbronco
01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I have to agree with patdude here on the fighting rule. The correct call was giving to Kennedy. He was kicked out of the game so regardless of what was called the proper action was taken by the officials. No point in arguing over Instagator or not.

Toswammi
01-28-2008, 05:21 PM
All im saying is there is a reason why no instigator was called... and Kennedy didnt get suspended for his actions, his suspension was cuz of his problems with game misconducts. Those type of fights happen all the time no matter if its the WHL or the NHL or any other league. McAvoy hit Strueby from behind, McAvoy should of known someone was going ot come to Struebys defence. Do i agree with Kennedy's actions how he kept beating him while turtleing on the ice.. No i do not, Id much rather see they wait till a faceoff and fight from there cause of the hit. Then there is no chance of the instigator penalty (as it is the worse rule in hockey to date) and both players are square and know there in a fight by then lol.

And i am NOT changing or making up rules for my own team... i think i have made enough posts on whlfans for most people to know im the farest thing from a homer. Yes i cheer for the Pats, but im a fan of the sport. I watch games as a fan 2nd then a Pats fan. If i wasnt a fan of the sport and only a pats fan do u think i would go to 8 warrior games, without the pats playing.. I do not F*CKEN think so.

I love reading posts for all whl fans on this site, i got a ton of respect for numerous posters on here.......ei big ern, wardog, beaner, some arrogant jerk just to name a few there views are as a hockey fan 1st then there teams 2nd. There are a ton of ppl on here that are true homers and only see things with there team colors on. Now yes with that said I know the Pats have the biggest homer for a radio guy, but that doesnt mean i agree with his comments either.

Another thing i really liked about going to broncos territory was, your radio show after the game, the coach you guys had on spoke very well for the game..... no he didnt just look at what the Broncos done, he pointed out things the Pats did and then said what how the Broncos replied to excute their game. We need more coaches like that on after game shows.

No mention of me :( I am very hurt

Also Tim is amazing in his post game shows, i sometimes think it would be nice to have more fans with his attitude