PDA

View Full Version : Garet Hunt

TriFan2005
01-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Does he always run his mouth when he's skating by the other teams bench or was he acting out of character on Friday AND Saturday? Wat a class act he is. I could se maybe if his team was winning, or maybe if someone on the other team made a cheap hit but this was at the begining of the night and it lasted most of the night. I can definitely see why the league gives him longer suspensions than anyone else.

on another note Hunt pulled what appeared to be a pretty cheap shot last night (saturday in Tri). with play blown dead he high sticked OR punched Blair Macauley. the ref didnt really see what happened and only called 2 for roughing and then gave Macauley 2 for a dive which was horrible. macauley might have exaggerated but seeing he got hit from behind after the whistle he probaly did fall really easy. i don't know how hard he got hit because i was accross ice but i wouldnt be surprised if hunt got a game or two from it.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Yep, Hunt talks it up out there, no question about it. That only makes him like about 2,384 tough guys that have come through this league. Being that the Giants don't have another renowned fighter since Lucic stayed with Boston, Garet has to handle the load pretty much by himself. He does what he has to do to stand up for his mates. Not an enviable job for a guy who tops out at 5'7". But that's his game. He plays the part of the pitbull and makes his mates more confident by doing so. I can understand that a lot of folks don't like or understand the role he plays for the Giants, but he knows that's what he has to do to stay in the league as a 20 yo, and it's a role nobody else on the team can do. He plays a part and does it well. Sure he crosses the line once in a while (the hit on Seattle's Holliday), but find me a tough guy who doesn't every now and then.

If I were a fan around the league, I'd hate Hunt too. But here in Van, we love him. Don't always like what he does all the time, but we like that he's a guy who works the other team over a bit and ALWAYS backs it up with his fists. He 's just a tough, fearless guy.

Sauriol
01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
I love him when he played for the Chilliwack Chiefs a few years back.. Now i hate him:P lol

kaniksu
01-27-2008, 04:26 PM
I love him when he played for the Chilliwack Chiefs a few years back.. Now i hate him:P lol

Haha... isn't that how it always is? Love them when they are on your team and hate them when your team plays them.

rinkrat
01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
You gotta gove him points for courage,he may be one of the smaller players in the league and will take on anyone bar none. He skated by the Ams bench Friday and asked all of them who wanted to go? Nobody would bite. Finally McComb stood up to him.
He's definately the fan favourite on this team.

Kassian
01-27-2008, 05:07 PM
on another note Hunt pulled what appeared to be a pretty cheap shot last night (saturday in Tri). with play blown dead he high sticked OR punched Blair Macauley. the ref didnt really see what happened and only called 2 for roughing and then gave Macauley 2 for a dive which was horrible.

What was horrible was the fact that Macaulay went down because of that. Hunt BARELY touched him. All he did was shove Macaulay with one hand and Macaulay dove to the ice and pretended to be injured trying to draw a penalty. That was one of the few calls made last night by the officials that was right.

Talking about diving how about Chet Pickard? :spineyes:

Sauriol
01-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Another thing you gotta give props too Hunt for is how he broke his Femer (spelling?) and he hasnt changed his gamestyle at all.. vci33

TriFan2005
01-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Pickard didn't dive that i saw. however when he slashed your guy and then got pushed back and played innocent i loved it.

i really don't think macauley dove, then again i don't know how hard he really got hit. just keep in mind macauley is on the americans not the 'tips so the probability of a dive is very low. maybe he played it out a bit trying to draw a major or something extra but as far as actually diving no way. he got hit from behind well after the whistle so he just wasnt expecting anything.

back to hunt though:
i admire hunt for being a tough guy, especially as small as he is. i just don't think running his mouth makes him any tougher, and as far as you all feeling he gets shafted by the league in the punishment department look how he acts. always talking trash, always trying to start a fight (every time he lined up on a face off saturday he was trying to get a dance partner). i know everyone talks trash but the way hunt does it is just ridiculous. i can't believe hay lets him do it. maybe he gets under other teams skin sometimes? maybe his mouth makes other guys take dumb penalties? only reason i see hay giving him the green light on it.

rinkrat
01-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Pickard didn't dive that i saw.
Friday in Vancouver he was flailing around on the ice like a soccer player. :spineyes:
Right before Hoff ran Sexsmith. As McAuley was yelling to Sexsmith that he was about to be run...

rinkrat
01-27-2008, 06:41 PM
always trying to start a fight (every time he lined up on a face off saturday he was trying to get a dance partner.

So who stood up to him? :D

Kassian
01-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Pickard didn't dive that i saw. however when he slashed your guy and then got pushed back and played innocent i loved it.

He dove on both occasions. When he drew the goaltender interference minor on Bouma which was very marginal at best and then when he slashed Bouma and then acted as though Bouma used all his force to push him back. And that's sad if you actually loved that. Diving is a joke and something that should never be condoned regardless of which team you cheer for.

i really don't think macauley dove, then again i don't know how hard he really got hit. just keep in mind macauley is on the americans not the 'tips so the probability of a dive is very low. maybe he played it out a bit trying to draw a major or something extra but as far as actually diving no way. he got hit from behind well after the whistle so he just wasnt expecting anything.

He clearly dove. You obviously didn't see it very well because you couldn't even say what Hunt did originally. Hunt skated towards the gathering that was taking place and he very lightly gave Macaulay a shove and Macaulay went down like a ton of bricks. You could even see him lift his head afterwards and then put his head back down on the ice acting like he was injured.

TriFan2005
01-28-2008, 12:07 AM
1) No one stood up to Hunt on Saturday, when he took down Lazo in the first Toll was going to but he saw the ref called a penalty so he backed away (probably a good thing for him because as bad as Cloud worked him Hunt would've dropped him 2 times as hard). However the scoreboard did the talking for us.

2) I didn't say I loved Pickard diving i said i loved how he played innocent AFTER the whole ordeal. As far as Bouma bumping him I wasn't in a good position to see.

3) I did already say that i didnt have a good view of hunt pushing macauley however the kid isn't one to dive. he might have laid on the ice longer than needed but honestly the kid took one to the face/side of head so it's natural to stay down for a bit. im sure if someone unexpectedly popped you in the face you'd kind of rub your face and check for blood right?

Kassian
01-28-2008, 03:26 AM
2) I didn't say I loved Pickard diving i said i loved how he played innocent AFTER the whole ordeal. As far as Bouma bumping him I wasn't in a good position to see.

Fair enough. That call kind of pissed me off because it really wasn't necessary. You either call both Pickard and Bouma and even it up or you don't call anything at all. I prefer the latter.

3) I did already say that i didnt have a good view of hunt pushing macauley however the kid isn't one to dive. he might have laid on the ice longer than needed but honestly the kid took one to the face/side of head so it's natural to stay down for a bit. im sure if someone unexpectedly popped you in the face you'd kind of rub your face and check for blood right?

Maybe if that is what happened. But Hunt didn't "pop" Macaulay in the face. He shoved him with one arm. Yes he shoved Macaulay from behind but it was pretty obvious there wasn't much force behind it. Macaulay was just trying to draw the penalty. Luckily it backfired and it ended up even in the end.

TriFan2005
01-28-2008, 11:03 PM
well ya i didnt know for sure what happened but from where i was (the opposite end of the ice) i thought hunt did something really cheap. i used common sense after a few seconds and realized it wasnt major but still from my perspective if a guy gets shoved from behind after the whistle you don't call a dive. a dive is like when you try to sell a tripping call or try to sell a hook on a breakaway. not when the guy gets hit unexpectedly. just my view (i know it's biased but still). i guess hunt just left a sour taste in my mouth after hearing him talk trash friday (by the way McColm did pretty well against him) and then again on saturday. definitely makes it obvious why the league punishes him more so than others.

Kassian
01-29-2008, 12:58 AM
well ya i didnt know for sure what happened but from where i was (the opposite end of the ice) i thought hunt did something really cheap. i used common sense after a few seconds and realized it wasnt major but still from my perspective if a guy gets shoved from behind after the whistle you don't call a dive. a dive is like when you try to sell a tripping call or try to sell a hook on a breakaway. not when the guy gets hit unexpectedly. just my view (i know it's biased but still). i guess hunt just left a sour taste in my mouth after hearing him talk trash friday (by the way McColm did pretty well against him) and then again on saturday. definitely makes it obvious why the league punishes him more so than others.

It's still a dive in my book. It doesn't matter if it happened after the whistle or during a scrum. Macaulay went down a little too easily and apparently the officials thought the same thing.

McColm did do pretty well against Hunt. He's definitely improved as a fighter since coming over from Lethbridge. As far as Hunt and trash talking goes I don't really see the big deal in all of that. There is plenty of trash talking that goes on in each and every game (and yes that would include your team as well). It's all part of the game. The only trash talking I don't like is the type that comes from a wuss who doesn't want to back it up. And unfortunately there are many of those types out there this day and age. Hunt on the other hand doesn't fit in that group. He'll fight anyone as he has proven over the years.

TriFan2005
01-29-2008, 03:38 AM
ya hunt is definitely willing to go. i never said trash talking doesnt happen, just don't aprreciate hunt making it so obvious. definitely he's good at his role though. kind of like beach but with less skill (from what i've seen) but im sure it draws some penalties at times. just for a 20 i'd expect more talent and less talk. non the less hope to see you guys in april or march when it all matters.

dondo
02-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Its interesting because I feel that Hunt probably yaps more when his team is down than when they are up, so I assume in the case of challenging the bench he was trying to rally his guys from behind and get them motivated to step it up.