PDA

View Full Version : Giants to play in the U.S. Division next season?

Kassian
03-25-2005, 04:14 PM
That is the rumor, if the Tri-City relocation to Chilliwack is approved.

Americans heading to Chilliwack?

March 24 @ 9:50 AM

The Tri-City Americans will formally announce their intentions to relocate the team from Kennewick, Washington to Chilliwack, B.C. next season, according to the Vancouver Sun.
The Western Hockey League deadline for relocation is March 31, however, partial owner Darryl Porter said it's critical for his group to act quickly.
"We absolutely need to make a decision because of what's going on with my staff in Tri-Cities," Porter said. "I want to treat people humanely, so we need to make a decision. It will come out through the league."
The team needs 14 of 20 votes from the WHL governors for the move to be approved. It is believed the Spokane Chiefs are opposed to the relocation. Meanwhile, Vancouver Giants owner Ron Toigo is in favour of the move to spark an instant Fraser Valley rivalry.
Should the Americans move to Chilliwack, it's likely the Giants will play in the U.S. division and the team from Chilliwack will take their place in the B.C. division.
The Americans have played in Kennewick since 1988 since moving from New Westminster, B.C.

scamperdog
03-25-2005, 04:37 PM
that makes the most sense as long as van plays an unbllanced sched like the ice it would work

rinkrat
03-25-2005, 04:42 PM
So,they want to put Chilliwack and Vancouver in seperate divisions? Why don't we put Everett and Seattle in seperate divisions too?What a joke!

Here's the new divisions,as previously posted...

Pacific

Vancouver
Chilliwack
Everett
Seattle
Portland

Interior

Kamloops
Kelowna
PG
Kootney
Spokane

HAF
03-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Thats sure sad news for Seattle, Everett and Portland. It'd sure make it tough for any of those teams to get a division title.

C.F
03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't see the logic in putting Vancouver and Chilliwack in different divisions. The smart thing to do would be to put Spokane in the BC division, and put Chilliwack and Vancouver in the US division. This would mean the least ammount of travel possible with these 10 team. It would look like this.

Vancouver
Chilliwack
Seattle
Everett
Portland

Kelowna
Kamloops
Spokane
Kootenay
Prince George

I can't think of a better way to make the divisions.

Jovorock
03-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Word around Kelowna is that they would goto a ten team conference in the west and east. Kootenay will continue to play a unbalanced schedule? Who knows wait and see.

rinkrat
03-25-2005, 04:48 PM
C.F.

great minds think alike ;)
I'm thinking UPSET right now! :groovy:

C.F
03-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Hah, too funny. :)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to a Prospera Centre half filled with Giants fans next year. :thumb:

rinkrat
03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Its gonna be great,just as close as Everett without the border crap!

Kassian
03-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Vancouver
Chilliwack
Seattle
Everett
Portland

Kelowna
Kamloops
Spokane
Kootenay
Prince George

I can't think of a better way to make the divisions.

I agree. That looks the best, IMO. But from what I hear that is unlikely to happen. Hopefully something changes though.

SimonTemplar
03-26-2005, 03:04 PM
That is exactly what they did in the OHL with Erie Pa. in the Midwest with London, Kitchener, Owen Sound and Sarnia. Then in the West Division of the Western Conference the two other U.S teams from Michigan stayed there splitting them up a bit.