PDA

View Full Version : Molleken awaits word on suspension

hobster
01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Tuesday, January 29, 2008
The Saskatoon Blades expect to learn this morning whether head coach Lorne Molleken will be suspended for tonight's game against the Swift Current Broncos.

Under Western Hockey League rules, a head coach is suspended for one game following his team's involvement in a fourth multiple-fight situation. The Blades committed their fourth offence Sunday in Regina.

However, Molleken said he has video evidence to support his acquittal. He alleges Pats defenceman Colten Teubert instigated the third fight and that just might get the Blades off the hook.

Printer friendly
I don't think we're in the wrong," Molleken said Monday. "My whole point is that nothing would have happened if Teubert didn't get involved."

The WHL considers any incident with three or more fights during the same stoppage to be a "multiple-fight situation." However, if an instigator penalty is assessed, the non-offending team is not charged with that fight. For example, Regina had also been tagged with three multiple-fight offences prior to Sunday's incident. However, because Blades forward Mike Reich received an instigator penalty during the second fight, the Pats are off the hook for that fight.

That's the same defence Molleken is using. He says Teubert got involved with Reich, who was already hooked up with Regina's Garrett Mitchell. Teubert subsequently fought with Blades defenceman Teigan Zahn.

"Teubert instigated that fight and therefore, there's no multiple fight on our part," said Molleken.

The ruckus began midway through the second period when Saskatoon's John Flatters and Regina's Josh Elder exchanged punches. Two more scraps followed.

WHL vice-president Richard Doerksen said Monday afternoon he was still reviewing video of the incident. If fines or suspensions are deemed necessary, they'll be announced this morning.

Molleken said he's confident that the league will agree with his position.

"If not," he added, "I'll be sitting at home and watching it on the Internet."

Assistant coach David Struch would take the reins in Molleken's absence. Struch posted a 1-0-0-1 record in December while Molleken was on a scouting trip.

BLADE BITS: In addition a one-game suspension for the head coach, a fourth multiple-fight offence carries a $750 fine. The Blades were fined $500 for a Jan. 18 line brawl -- their third of the season -- versus Brandon. A Dec. 30 incident in Regina cost Saskatoon $250. . . . Following tonight's game at Credit Union Centre, the Blades trek to Swift Current on Wednesday. That will be followed by a Friday rematch between the Blades and Pats in Regina.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

Fight Guy
01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
That is true...if Teubert hadn't gone in to prevent Reich from continuing to feed punches after the official had stopped the fight, there wouldn't have been a third fight. But to say he instigated it isn't fair, considering he only went in to stop Reich. He didn't throw any punches, just went in to stop the nonsense. Then Zahn came in and got involved. But if they look at it as Teubert throwing the first punch at Zahn after being broken up, then it might be the case that Molleken will be off the hook. But that doesn't define an instigator. They both were ready and willing to fight...it was quite clear.

At least what Lorne said this time around is more reasonable than what he apparently said about the situation before. He says he is confident the league will see it the same way as him, but if they look at what Teubert was trying to do because of the insufficient officiating, then I don't see how they could. Oh well...I don't know how their minds work down at the head office, so we will have to wait till a little later to find out.

Golks
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I posted this in the other thread but I figured it would serve purpose in this one as well.

No word on suspensions to Hunt or Molleken........yet.

01/29/08 Regina $750.00 fine for fourth multiple fight of season versus Saskatoon on January 27.
01/29/08 Colten Teubert Regina Two games for fourth game misconduct of season versus Saskatoon on January 27.
01/29/08 Brent Parker Regina $500.00 for actions during game versus Saskatoon on January 27.
01/29/08 Saskatoon $750.00 fine for fourth multiple fight of season at Regina on January 27.
01/29/08 Mike Reich Saskatoon One game for third game misconduct of season at Regina on January 27.

hobster
01-29-2008, 02:47 PM
So far it seems pretty fair.

CJSenterprise4
01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
So far it seems pretty fair.

No way Teubs should get a game more than reich. the guy can't even play hockey and is a known goon. Even though it is teuberts 4th Game. He was trying to control the situation.

Fight Guy
01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
True...but he didn't get the misconduct for his actions trying to stop Reich, he got it for the fight...which he didn't have to do. Still sucks though.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Really, what else is new? There was a double standard in this league 10 years ago, and there is now, and always will be. Unfortunately, we seem to be on the worse side of it, once again. We are going to have to deal with it.

Usually when a brawl happens between two teams, the players in question get suspended longer if the two teams play again in a short amount of time (See the bruton and beach situation as an example of that). Teubert is out until the game between the blades is done, however, reich is not. Complete bush league by the WHL, as they prove that this league, is a complete joke, as is the sport. The NHL is even worse.

And no, hobster, it doesnt seem fair. You just say that because it looks better for the blades than it does the pats, which is actually the complete opposite to fair.

witness
01-30-2008, 10:15 AM
In the end, the rules are pretty clear cut. That was Tuebert's 4th game misconduct and he has to sit two games. And it was a game misconduct, he was involved in a multiple fight situation. This is all clear cut.

Reich's suspension is also outlined very clearly, third game misconduct and he sits out a game. His behaviour is questionable, but nothing worth suspending. I would assume that this would be more of a team issue.

Let him play against the Pats, garantee another two power plays because of his stupid penalities. If the Pats really want revenge, beat Saskatoon by 5 goals. Why would you worry about a player that is marginal even on a bad team?

patsdude114
01-30-2008, 10:31 PM
In the end, the rules are pretty clear cut. That was Tuebert's 4th game misconduct and he has to sit two games. And it was a game misconduct, he was involved in a multiple fight situation. This is all clear cut.

Reich's suspension is also outlined very clearly, third game misconduct and he sits out a game. His behaviour is questionable, but nothing worth suspending. I would assume that this would be more of a team issue.

Let him play against the Pats, garantee another two power plays because of his stupid penalities. If the Pats really want revenge, beat Saskatoon by 5 goals. Why would you worry about a player that is marginal even on a bad team?

I couldnt agree with you more witness, these suspensions had nothing to with the incident of Tuebert ggrabbing Reich off of Mitchell... these suspensions are due to the game misconducts these players have. This suspensions would have been this way the nexted time Tuebert and Reich got game misconducts anyways. It just so happens to be in a incident in which both were involved in on the ice at the same time. Oh well life goes on.

You think with our depth on Defence we are going to miss Tuebert a whole lot anyways especially against Saskatoon and Red Deer.. I can assure you the Pats arnt going to blow another lead against Saskatoon. The players were pissed of with the result of the Saskatoon game. Yes we won but we blew a 3 goal lead, and top end teams dont blow those types of leads on a regular basis. The Pats are going to be even hungrier this time around against Saskatoon then on Sunday. A whole week off for the Pats, to prepare for this game. Yes i think there is going to be some more on-ice problems but I dont see another let down this time.

Should be exciting come Friday night, would love to see a sold out Brandt Center on Friday. But then i remember oh right too many band wagon jumping fans in Regina. I hate reading in the paper that Regina is such a hockey town, but yet we cant get out 6,000 fans to a game night in and night out especially with the team we have.

Tidball
01-31-2008, 12:28 AM
No way Teubs should get a game more than reich. the guy can't even play hockey and is a known goon. Even though it is teuberts 4th Game. He was trying to control the situation.

Well Tuebs isnt a ref. Thats why he's going to sit a few games. applause

sbtatter
01-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Reich is an idiot on the ice. I love to have him playing against the WK's b/c he always takes stupid penalties that help us to beat the Blades....don't suspend him b/c he makes the Blades worse!!!!

hobster
02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Well he sure got under the Pats skin last sunday that line brawl took place when they were beating us 4-1, we got the momentum from what Reich did then we came back tied it at 4 and forced overtime. And he may not be as big as a bum as some of you think he is.

Fight Guy
02-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Don't doubt about it that he gets under Regina's skin, but I really don't think the brawl he as in sparked the Blades to come back. Really, if it weren't for that weak goal from behind the blue line, it would have been a different game. Could have been worse for the Pats had it not gone in even...but doubtful. It was very clear the Pats shut down and figured they could coast the rest of the game. We've seen all before. But seriously...considering the points and what he was supposed to bring when he got drafted higher, he has been a disappointment. A tleast he has found away to stay in the league though...because I noticed when he was here, he had the skill to be a scorer...but apparently chose a different route.