PDA

View Full Version : Porters address on 3/25/05

HAF
03-25-2005, 05:08 PM
This was posted on the Ams site just a minute ago.

Porter Issues a Statement to the AMS Fans
March 25, 2005

First off, I want to sincerely say we as owners are sorry to our loyal fans, boosters, sponsors, and my own staff for our decision to request to relocate. This decision was a tough one as we know we have a loyal following around 2500 people who care deeply about our team and players. My deepest regret is that the people who are affected most by this decision are exactly the people who do not deserve it. I have been inundated with a request for explanation which I will give you here.

In the end, we believe we must move on because the owners cannot continue to absorb the financial losses we are incurring. We simply cannot afford to risk similar losses over the next 3 years, a term the City rightfully needs from us in any new lease. We are out of ideas as to how to build the fan base beyond our core. Did you know we have had crowds less than 3000 paid in 83% of the games we have played over the past three seasons? Did you know the team has lost money in 15 of the past 17 years? We are running below a standard of other teams in our league and we feel we owe it to our players to provide a better experience overall than we are providing.

The problem is not the fans we do have. All our successes over the past three seasons in growing our fan base have come from asking our existing fans to do more. We have failed EVERY time when we reach or for new fans, whether through a program into the general business community or an advertising campaign aimed at new fans. Our analysis showed us that the interest in our sport simply does not extend beyond our loyal core fans. In other words, we most likely cannot improve our support any more than we have. We cannot expect to always go back to our same fans and sponsors and keeping asking for more. It’s not right or fair.

To the fans who think we lied about our intentions, you really are wrong. We thought two months ago that we were in a position to sign a new lease. Those circumstances changed when the NHL lock out continued on impacting our ownership group. It changed when we needed to make our commitment firm to the city tying us firmly into the position of accepting the risk that we could easily lose more money owning the team over the next three seasons.

I have one ask of those people who care about this team. If you are frustrated, direct that towards myself and my partners. In the end, we are the ones who failed here. Please be respectful of our players and staff as they only care about providing you, the fan, with their best everyday. We intend to give it our best this playoff season and provide our core fans with the best we can offer at this time. To the many people who are threatening me and my family currently over email, I am sorry you feel this need.

Regards

Darryl Porter

Knuckles Muldoon
03-25-2005, 08:08 PM
There is absolutely nothing in this letter that I did not suspect was happening. They are losing money, can't grow the fanbase and are out of ideas. When they see other franchises making money in this era of WHL hockey, they want a piece of the pie, too. Its not an unreasonable request. And its not like they are the first group to not be able to crack the market. All the others have failed, too. No surprises here at all.

Rooselk
03-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I do hope that the "to the many people who are threatening me and my family currently over email, I am sorry you feel this need" line is an exaggeration. I would hate to think that there are folks out there that would actually do this. :(

Hitman
03-27-2005, 01:17 PM
There is absolutely nothing in this letter that I did not suspect was happening. They are losing money, can't grow the fanbase and are out of ideas. When they see other franchises making money in this era of WHL hockey, they want a piece of the pie, too. Its not an unreasonable request. And its not like they are the first group to not be able to crack the market. All the others have failed, too. No surprises here at all.

Very well stated, I totally agree with you.