PDA

View Full Version : Blades 2 @ Broncos 3

Big Ern
01-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Just a few short notes tonight.....

-the Broncos are rolling after sweeping a home and home series with Saskatoon for their first five-game win streak in four years. As Tim Kehler explained in the post-game show, "A quiet confidence seems to be slipping in."

-tonight's game was not exactly pretty. Here is why:

*the Broncos came out very flat and didn't play very well throughout the first 40 minutes.

*the Blades predictably came out hard (as hard as they could) after being embarrassed in their home barn 7-3 last night. Their defense played very well through at least half of the game, choking the Broncos' passes, stopping their quick transition game, and so on.

*it's very tough to sweep a home and home series, be it the worst or the best team in hockey that you're up against. Fortunately, the Broncos were able to pull out the win.

*the Broncos' defense.....mostly one specific player....made some HORRID mistakes. Had the Blades scored on two of the three chances this stat gave them...the win probably would have gone to Saskatoon. One or two of our defensemen definitely have to be more responsible.

-let's post a few positive points:

*what a winning streak for the Broncos!!! Has anyone realized that all of a sudden, Swift Current is only FOUR points out of home ice advantage in playoffs??!! That's what happens when the guys put wins together. Hopefully they can keep it rolling.

*the line of Dowling/Eakin/Wudrick has played fantastic...they energize our group with every shift. They work hard, create chances, and lots more.

*the PK has been awesome lately...the Broncos killed off another six PP's tonight. Also since the Kelowna game, the guys are playing a lot more disciplined.

*Levi Nelson perhaps changed the game when he showcased tremendous skill behind the net, walked out front, and made a big DEPOSIT on Holtby for the Broncos' second goal. Nelson also dished out a few great hits..he was a factor in tonight's game.

*Yonks had a great game again. I couldn't help but notice he kinda' fought one or two shots early on, but from there quietly had a great game, stopping 34 of 37 shots.

*I'm sure the Broncos will gladly take the "W" despite some shortfalls in the first 40 minutes tonight.

*Matt Tassone was sick today and yesterday. Maybe some of our players are feeling a bit under the weather with the flu bug that's sneaking around. Nobody knows that, but if that's the case (which could easily be) the team did well to get the win tonight.

*I hope it feels awesome to be on this winning streak. The guys have worked pretty hard to get there. Everyone has done their part.

*as fans, let's enjoy it as well. Experience the new Broncos! :) I know on thing: I'm having a lot of fun watching this club right now.

NOTES:

-I'm going to make the trip to Saskatoon this upcoming Saturday for the third meeting between these two clubs in a week.....should be a beauty. However, the Broncos cannot overlook MJ this Friday.

-how about the attendance of 2200 tonight on a WEDNESDAY when it's bitterly cold outside??!! Wow...our fans are stepping to the plate lately. The "Toonie Wednesday" promotion is paying dividends.

-don't look now, but Head Coach/GM Dean Chynoweth set a personal record tonight...his longest winning streak since joining the Broncos. (Five games.) In Deano I STILL trust! :)

-Friday's matchup should be a doozy! I'm sure the Warriors will be an owly group coming in after a 5-1 loss to the lowly Edmonton Oil Kings tonight. Our guys have to stay focused and take it to Moose Jaw from start to finish.

-and finally...the "PACK THE PLEX" promotion is coming up this Friday night. Let's all do our part and let everyone know about it......let's shoot for 2865!!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!