PDA

View Full Version : Wright Returns To Swift After 15 Years

Scout
02-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Wright returns to Swift Current after 15 years
BY STEVEN MAH

One of the most talented and successful Swift Current Broncos players in franchise history returned to Swift Current on Friday night following a lengthy National Hockey League career.

Forward Tyler Wright starred with the Broncos from 1989-93, suiting up in 233 games, while amassing 271 points and 647 penalty minutes.

Wright played 613 games with four NHL teams from 1992-2006 making stops with the Edmonton Oilers, Pittsburgh Penguins, the Columbus Blue Jackets, and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

Wright explained what he has been up to since playing his final NHL game in 2006 with the Ducks.

"I went over to Europe for a little bit and played and I wasn't overly impressed with that and I decided to go back and we made Columbus our home. Now I am the Director of Player Development for the Blue Jackets. Jesse Dudas is a draft pick of ours, the majority of my work is to watch kids throughout Major Junior, College, Europe, and the farm team so that is what brings me back to Swift Current."

Wright, who remains the highest Broncos player to ever be drafted, 12th overall in 1991 by the Edmonton Oilers, was also watching some of the numerous draft eligible players skating for the Rockets and Broncos.

"I make some notes on players who are draft eligible just for the fact that I get to see them while we are watching our current property. Kelowna has some high picks out there and Swift Current has a couple of guys too that are rated fairly high."

Being back in the building that he knew as the Civic Centre evoked some great memories for Wright.

"It has changed a little bit since when I played. This was a great place to play. It really kind of grew me for my dream of playing in the NHL. We had some great hockey clubs here and came up short in 1993 when we won the league but lost in the Memorial Cup. I still keep in contact with a lot of the guys. It was a fun place to play and somewhere that I will always remember."

Wright mentioned a few names who he still keeps in contact with.

"Trent McCleary who I just saw, Andy Schneider was the best man at my wedding, and Geoff Sanderson, we ended up living about a block from each other in Columbus and played about another five years together. So it has been good and fun to come back and see some of the old faces. It has been 15 years but it seems like yesterday."

Wright helped lead the 1992-93 Broncos to a 49-21-2 record and all the way to the Memorial Cup where they won once and lost three times. That team was led by players such as Jason Krywulak, Rick Girard, Todd Holt, McCleary, Schneider, Dean McAmmond, Brent Bilodeau, and goaltender Milan Hnilicka.

Wright is impressed with the Western Hockey League 15 years after he last played.

"The league has changed a lot. The NHL has changed a lot as well, they have really cut down on the clutching and grabbing. It is a good developmental league that really grooms these kids in the right area as far as travel and the commitment that you have to make."