PDA

View Full Version : World Juniors Back On Prairies

Scout
02-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Courtesy Alan Caldwell:

Friday, February 1, 2008
World Juniors back to the prairies?
News is out today that Calgary and Edmonton will be joining together in a bid to host the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championships, which the IIHF has already awarded to Canada to host.

I think this is a great idea.....provided, of course, that all the Canadian games are in Calgary, while Edmonton hosts the big sellers like Germany vs. Ukraine and Slovakia vs. Lithuania. I think Ukraine might be a big hit in Edmonchuk.

Fun-poking aside, this is good news for junior hockey fans on the prairies. And, I would say it is extremely likely that Calgary/Edmonton will win this bid, unless the 2010 World Juniors - which are also in Canada but as yet no host has been picked - end up west of Ontario first. I understand Saskatoon is planning on bidding for that one so if they got it, then I think 2012 probably goes to some place in the east. But assuming it ends up in Edmonton/Calgary, it's going to be a great chance for us prairie dwellers to see this tournament. I remember back in 1995 when Red Deer was the host, and gave Calgary and Edmonton the chance to host one or two of the Canadian games each....that Canada vs Czech Republic game, with the huge 3rd period comeback by the Canadians to win, is easily in my top couple hockey games I've ever seen in person.....and I've seen Stanley Cups awarded and WHL championships won. It was that good.

RunTheGoalie
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd say it is a virtual guarantee that Edmonton/Calgary win that bid. Last three will have been Ontario, Pacific Coast, Atlantic Coast. Put the 2010 tournament in Quebec, and you will have it balanced across all regions.

As far as scheduling goes, I'd expect Canada's round robin games split evenly, with the Semis in Edmonton and the Bronze/Gold medal games in Calgary. Makes logical sense given arena sizes, and the fact that both cities would be co-headliners.

Though in some respects, I think it would have been better if it was Calgary bidding with Lethbridge or Red Deer as the secondary city. It's all about the bling with Hockey Canada though. That isn't about to change.

rinkrat
02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I thought there was a ruling made after Vancouver that there wouldn't be anymore multiple city bids.

Toswammi
02-02-2008, 06:55 PM
There is no way that they would move the Canada games between cities. Hotels (lot of fans not from the area getting room and board) to name one. Besides if it was in Calgary, the ppl in Edmonton just bus down, whatever.