PDA

View Full Version : Penner

Swamptown
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Word on the street is that Cole Penner arrived in PA last night.

Hopefully he is all healed up and ready to go.

Swamptown
02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I guess I should have checked the Raider website first, as they have announced it there. :o

Raider Fan 88
02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
He is healthy ready to go can't wait to see him play on Saturday night! Looking forward to it.

Dwight Schrute
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=105474&sc=5

Penner is back to where he wants to be
RYAN BOULTON
The Prince Albert Daily Herald

He has yet to take a regular season Western Hockey League shift, but Cole Penner has sure had hockey fans talking here in Prince Albert this season.

The Raiders' first-round selection of the 2006 bantam draft, Penner left the club following training camp with a roster spot on the table and ever since has had a tumultuous time of things on the ice.

From a stint with the Brooks Bandits of the Alberta Junior Hockey League, to a return to midget AAA ranks, to being without a spot at all, it's fair to say the last couple of seasons didn't go the way the young power forward had planned.

On Monday, however, the 16-year-old Medicine Hat product was back in Prince Albert, eager to rejoin the organization that made him the fourth overall selection in the league's bantam draft two summers back.

Saying all the right things as he met local media in the lobby of the Art Hauser Centre, Penner looked even more the prospect he did during training camp. He has packed on at least 10 pounds and even spurted some from the six-foot-one frame he was formerly listed at.

Determined to make things right this time around, Penner though knows nothing is going to be given to him.

"If I could go back, I would have stayed," said Penner in hindsight. "The Western Hockey League is where I wanted to be and the Raiders have been good to me every step of the way. I just felt (during training camp) that I needed to see more ice and it's unfortunate how it happened. I missed a lot of hockey."

Recovered from a serious of rib and hand injuries, which were at the fore of his setbacks this season, Penner is looking to get into action as soon as possible.

"Hopefully, by the end of the week I will be close to getting into a game, but if not it's understandable," said Penner. "I feel in alright shape, not the shape I want to be in, but it's a process. You have to work for your ice time and that's what I want to so I have to compete hard every day."

For general manager/head coach Bruno Campese, having Penner back in the fold underscores the transition process the organization is in.

And though he might have been away from the team for the first five months of the season, it's a definite head start on next season.

"We really didn't want him to leave," said Campese. "It's just that he had different things on his agenda and his state of mind was in a different place.

"He looks a little more focused and I think he has gone through a very difficult year which has built some character," Campese added.

"His mandate coming in right now is that we have to get to know him and he has to get to know the league a little bit and try to rebound.

"If he can do that, it could be a springboard for him next year."

Penner will join fellow 2006 pick Ryan Button (25th) and Brandon Herrod (46th) as the club's three 16-year-olds.

FutureWatch
02-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Sorry, not a Penner Fan. Had the opportunity to watch him a lot back when he was a bantam, as a 14 and 15 year old and again as a 16 year old. Serious attitude and a lack of respect for the team component of the game. He definately has scoring skill but does not move the puck well, nor make good team decisions in regards to play with out the puck, defensive responsibilities, coachability, and most importantly character.

Coming back now puts him again in the spotlight, adds more pressure and makes this a boom or bust outcome. It would make more sense for him to move down a level and rebuild then return to camp in the fall. Perhaps this option is not available but it would work out best for everyone. Reminds me of a young Keegan Dansereau, never living up the hype.

eye4aneye
02-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry, not a Penner Fan. Had the opportunity to watch him a lot back when he was a bantam, as a 14 and 15 year old and again as a 16 year old. Serious attitude and a lack of respect for the team component of the game. He definately has scoring skill but does not move the puck well, nor make good team decisions in regards to play with out the puck, defensive responsibilities, coachability, and most importantly character.

Coming back now puts him again in the spotlight, adds more pressure and makes this a boom or bust outcome. It would make more sense for him to move down a level and rebuild then return to camp in the fall. Perhaps this option is not available but it would work out best for everyone. Reminds me of a young Keegan Dansereau, never living up the hype.

Apologetic and critical?

Have you ever coached him? Character? I think it takes character to walk away from a situation that you are not prepared to deal with to give yourself sometime( not like he was walking away from a marriage or kids...then again he is only 16 :spineyes: ) Do you know the kid, sat down and talked to him? Are you a psychiatrist? Sports psychologist?

Did you not read what Campese said? They never wanted Cole to leave in the first place. Are you questioning management of the team as to not knowing the kid and where he is at?

You haven't even let him put on a jersey and play this week and you are already criticizing the kid. vc124 Shame on you for doing that. Shame on you for not saying something like..."I am not a Penner fan but I hope he performs and does well." Shame on you. vc178

Cole, welcome to PA and I hope you do well with the Raider organization. Score lots of goals and get lots of assists! Answer the critics with the rubber hitting the net! Campese is a good coach, listen and learn and you will do well!

whlhockeyfan13
02-07-2008, 04:07 PM
This is a forum where everyone can express their opinions. I think there is a lot of controversy over Penner like there is over other players too. We all are entitled to our opinion. I too have mixed opinions about Penner. I know some of the players and they are uneasy but are willing to try. Likewise I will hope for the best and that this kid impresses. Most importantly I hope he can keep his moods in check and get a long with everyone. I just want the PA to win some and finish the year on a high note!

eye4aneye
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I can't wait for Penner to hit the ice with the Raiders. It is going to be great to see what he can contribute to the team. And give us a great indication of next season. This gives Campese another body to mix up some lines and try some combinations. Gonna be interesting to see how some of the 19 year olds come to play as well. Too bad Lamb isn't back.

May take him awhile to be 100% in game shape with his injuries.

TheSnowman
02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
You've usually got to read between the lines a lot in team members' comments to the media. That said, Campese's statement is pretty strong. He is not saying there was no strife between Penner and his teammates, but obviously still thought enough of him to warrant bringing him back. I have a feeling Penner is going to surprise a few people.

whlhockeyfan13
02-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Hopefully he can help the team out, they could use some wins to help with morale. It would be nice to win a few, end on a high note.

sbtatter
02-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Is he going to be playing here in Brandon tonight?

Raider Fan 88
02-08-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't see why he wouldn't play tonight in Brandon... if not well I'm sure he'll play at home tomorrow! On the radio Drew said there will be a full interview with him during the intermissions tonight... so guess we'll see what happens! Good luck Cole!

whlhockeyfan13
02-08-2008, 09:01 AM
will White play? How is he healing?

westbeach55
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Penner will be a big part of this team for the next few years. We as fans need to remember that the raiders dont beleive in giving quality time to young players so dont expect him to come out and score a goal a game playing 5 mins a game.

Just remember he has been off with an injury and is not in full game shape. Like any rookie they need to be worked into the lineup. Happens all the time in the nhl players being called up to early and end up back in the minors, when they could have used a year or two in the ahl (Gilbert Brule). Penner will get more than enough ice time (as a 1st round pick should)

whlhockeyfan13
02-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Who does everyone speculate Penner will be on a line with? Or will they not put him on a line and just rotate him in every so often.

eye4aneye
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Who does everyone speculate Penner will be on a line with? Or will they not put him on a line and just rotate him in every so often.

I think at first he is going to be rotated through then they are going to try and find him linemates that are going to back next season. Ya he is not in game shape and he admits that as well. I think it is a positive move for all members of the organization though.

whlhockeyfan13
02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I think at first he is going to be rotated through then they are going to try and find him linemates that are going to back next season. Ya he is not in game shape and he admits that as well. I think it is a positive move for all members of the organization though.
Which also begs the question who will be back next year, hmmm

sbtatter
02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
We'll give you an update on his play (if he dresses) tonight....

westbeach55
02-08-2008, 01:54 PM
macdonald -bernhardt - robertson
trach - smith - cameron
dober -lamb - herrod
penner - small - and not alot of room for rookies

deck -tendler
voracek - button
stebner - aasman
aschim and again not alot of room for rookies to make it

stanford
wasburn

have you seen washburn play at all, he has been brutal i wouldn't count him in. He's going to have to pick his game up and have a great camp

raider guy
02-08-2008, 04:24 PM
washburn wants to go college route therefore he will not be back up him and statchuk also on the raider list both wrote college entrance exams earlier this year

whlhockeyfan13
02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
I am excited for Stanford to be number one. He has done great this year :clap:

eye4aneye
02-08-2008, 06:06 PM
washburn wants to go college route therefore he will not be back up him and statchuk also on the raider list both wrote college entrance exams earlier this year
Did he pass?

Sabes
02-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Penner is in

dagley
02-08-2008, 10:07 PM
He really didn't stand out here tonight, beside from a minor altercation.

sbtatter
02-08-2008, 11:34 PM
He played with Dobrowolski and Herrod. He got a few shifts per period. He seemed frustrated and fiesty. Of course his timing was off, he tried to hit guys but usually missed them and hit the boards, but at least he was trying to hit! He put a knee on Jeffries, he was lucky Erb didn't fight him. I think he'll be a player if the coach can harness the frustration he appears to have.....

eye4aneye
02-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Frustration is good ,means he is trying...and you are right once he gets his timing things will be great. He stated in a interview that he knows that he has things to prove that he belongs in the WHL. It is his first game since Nov. I think once he has some more practice and ice time under his belt it will be ok. Sounds like he isn't afraid of hitting either...which is something this team really needs. When we hit and stay out of the box we do well. Looks like we did ok against brandon for the first couple of periods. glad Brandl kept working and played spoiler!

Dwight Schrute
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
what did u folks think of penner tonight ?

kinda crappy they didnt let archie play in pa (last time he could)