PDA

View Full Version : Giants Hang On For Victory In Kelowna

Kassian
03-26-2005, 01:18 AM

The Vancouver Giants used experience to overcome the odds on Friday, winning Game 1 of their best-of-seven first round playoff matchup, 4-3 over the Kelowna Rockets. All three 20-year-olds played vital roles in the thrilling win for the G-Men, who handed the Rockets their first loss on home ice since mid-October.

Following a goal-starved opening frame, team captain Triston Grant triggered the scoring in a game the Giants never trailed. Fellow overage star Adam Courchaine stripped the puck from Kelowna blueliner Kyle Cumiskey and spotted Grant at 3:58 of the second period. Courchaine scored the club's third goal of a wild second period, converting on a 3-on-1 at 17:01, less than a minute after the Rockets had gotten within one. Defenseman Conlan Seder, also 20, rounded out the veteran-laden goal fiesta when he snapped home the game-winner at 12:18 of the third period.

“I really liked the play of our three 20-year-olds,” Giants' Head Coach Don Hay said. “I thought it showed great leadership and showed the young guys that we really count on these three guys to be our top three players. And they definitely stepped up to the plate tonight.”

Another top player, Gilbert Brule, netted a powerplay marker at 12:37 of the middle stanza, when the Giants were busy out-shooting their hosts 13-7. The Rockets held a wide margin in shots after the first period – 15-6.

“It's always nice to get that first one,” Hay said. “We had to win one in here and we were able to do that. You always come into (each) round hoping to get a split. We came out the first period tied and then we got stronger as we were able to adjust. This shot clock – there always seems to be a lot of shots going up on that board, so you can't get too caught up in the shot clock.”

Brent Howarth beat Vancouver goalie Marek Schwarz twice for Kelowna , sandwiching a big goal early in the final frame by Rockets' overager Tyler Mosienko. Howarth's first came at 16:28 of the second period, before Mosienko got Kelowna within one at 4:05 of the third. Howarth later tied the game at 8:36 of the third. Schwarz stopped 27 of 30 shots thrown his way, while counterpart Derek Yeomans made 20 saves on 24 Giants' shots.

Predicting playoff fortunes based on how a team plays heading into the post-season can be risky business, but Vancouver may have used Game 72 of the regular season as a springboard into this series. Shaky at times down the stretch, the Giants dusted Kelowna 5-1 at the Pacific Coliseum last Saturday, knocking the defending Memorial Cup champs into second spot in the BC Division. The physical and offensive hunger the Giants showed on Friday must have stemmed from that experience.

“We had a good week of practice,” Hay affirmed. “Our confidence level was up from beating them last week. We know they're a good hockey team and we can't get too high (after this game). It's the old cliché – take it one game at a time. We'll enjoy this one for a couple of hours and then get ready for the next one.”

The next one is Saturday at 7PM, simulcast on MOJO AM 730 and CKNW 980, and broadcast on SHAW Cable.

Teaps
03-26-2005, 05:16 AM
Now The giants have the edge in experience? Amazing!!! They outbeat the rockets in EVERY category now...Idiot Writers

rinkrat
03-26-2005, 10:42 AM
the best part about the win is to see how much it pisses off the Rocket fans.HAHAHA :thumb:

mccabe23
03-26-2005, 10:47 AM
the best part about the win is to see how much it pisses off the Rocket fans.HAHAHA :thumb:

So you get joy in pissing off your own son? :p

Don't worry, I for one am not pissed off by the loss. I'm only pissed by the officiating. ;) I only consider this as a hiccup on the road to the cup. Go Rockets!!!

Knuckles Muldoon
03-26-2005, 11:23 AM
No, the best part is that it appears the Giants are up to the challenge and that we are now going to get a good, long series. Vancouver was the better team last night for the most part, but the Rockets scare the hell out of me because the minute the Giants play slips a little, the Rockets are right there to pick up the pieces every time. Playing with little margin for error is a hard way to live and the Giants haven't been anywhere near a consistent team all year. How big is the game tonight? Can the Giants step it up one more notch and put the Rockets in big trouble? Can't wait for this one! :bounce:

Kassian
03-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Don't worry, I for one am not pissed off by the loss. I'm only pissed by the officiating. ;)

Well at least you know how we feel now. Just about every Rockets-Giants game was like that in Vancouver. All the calls were going for Kelowna, and not us.

So we were owed a game. Now let's start off on a fresh slate....

Teaps
03-26-2005, 04:47 PM
You got that game on saturday

k-town dangler
03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
yes the reffing was ****ty last night, but you can't blame the Rockets loss on the refs. Kelowna didn't play 3 full periods. They didn't show up at all in second. Giants deserved the win last night. I was more pissed at the Rockets play than I was at the reffing.

kelownakarl
03-26-2005, 06:52 PM
yes the reffing was ****ty last night, but you can't blame the Rockets loss on the refs. Kelowna didn't play 3 full periods. They didn't show up at all in second. Giants deserved the win last night. I was more pissed at the Rockets play than I was at the reffing.

You can never blame a loss on the refs. The players give the refs something to call so blame the players, am i right?

Kassian
03-26-2005, 07:44 PM
You got that game on saturday

Yes we did. And we deserved it.

A lot of the Rockets-Giants games in Vancouver the Giants deserved to win. They out played the Rockets. Bad calls and lucky bounces gave Kelowna the extra points. But that doesn't matter anymore. All in the past...

Beaner
03-27-2005, 11:52 AM
You can never blame a loss on the refs. The players give the refs something to call so blame the players, am i right?

Yes, you are. Players need to make sure they dont give the ref an oppurtunity to make a call.

But I think that everyone on this board can agree the the ref'ing in this league this year has been very inconsistant from one game to the next. Even 1 period to the next.

Time for the league to make a serious effort in addressing the problem with the refs and to do it in the public eye, as opposed to the cone of silence they put around their officials.