PDA

View Full Version : W'kings draw first blood...

Triton
03-26-2005, 10:18 AM
The Eastern Division Champion Brandon Wheat Kings have drawn first blood in their best of seven Western Hockey League Eastern Division semi-final series with the Moose Jaw Warriors.

Jeff Topilko scored three goals, Lance Monych added a pair and veteran center Ryan Stone set up four goals as the Wheat Kings blew open a close game with three unanswered third period goals to beat the visiting Warriors 7-3.

A six goal scorer during the regular season, Topilko had two career assists in 23 WHL playoff games entering Friday's series opener. His 3-goal outburst also represented his first ever hat trick since joining the Wheat Kings as a first round bantam draft choice in 2002.

WHL scoring leader Eric Fehr and 19-year old defenceman Jon Webb, with his first goal since October 2002, also scored for the Wheat Kings.

Jordan Henry, Riley Holzapfel and Carberry product Stuart Kerr replied for the Warriors, who trailed 2-1 and 4-3 at the period breaks.

17-year old Tyler Plante, making his WHL playoff debut, stopped twenty shots in posting the victory for the Wheat Kings, who were 8-0-1 against Moose Jaw during regular season play. Josh Lepp had 32 saves for the Warriors.

Hitman
03-27-2005, 07:41 PM
And they killed them once again tonight...

Joe Hallenback
03-28-2005, 04:17 PM
The wheaties dominated them on Sunday. The only goal they allowed it looked like Plante was asleep as he let in a long wrister from the blue line. I have to say that Moose Jaw is one chippy team. They hacked and slashed all night and backed down from any confritation from any Wheat King that wanted to go.

This series should be over in 4.

Furback
03-29-2005, 02:51 PM
yup two sweeps in the east not bad just goes to show how weak the east is i wish the raiders had a little compatition.

grumphy
03-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Two sweeps, two layoffs, would make me veeeery speculative having to face considerably tougher competition ;)

SimonTemplar
03-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Unless some major miracle unfolds the Kings will go on but what happens then, do they re seed the team on records for the whole Division.

Most likely play Price Albert if they do but not sure on your formats.

CHtoo
03-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Looks like a lot was spilled in Moose Jaw tonight. :bounce:

I guess MJ didn't want the season to end just yet.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-31-2005, 11:56 AM
yup two sweeps in the east not bad just goes to show how weak the east is i wish the raiders had a little compatition.

Now that the Blades are out and and we gave it our best considering we forced the game into overtime, but it was a tough way to exit, but a big improvement from last season. For the Blades there is nowhere to go but up. The Riaders will have a tough task on their hands, if they face Brandon but it looks like Moose Jaw wants to steal the series so have fun Facing Brandon if u do in the second round or even Moose Jaw. They are not a slouch as everone said they would be.

Furback
03-31-2005, 01:45 PM
I think if the hat win thats who we will face in the second round but im not sure both brandon and the hat have the same amount of points and wins. If moosejaw wins that will throw everything off. Have to wait and see who we will face.