PDA

View Full Version : Brayden Schenn

Scout
02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Courtesy CHL insider:

It’s not often that a 16-year-old Western Hockey League rookie establishes himself as a go-to guy for his team.

However, that’s exactly what Brayden Schenn has done in his first season in the WHL for the Brandon Wheat Kings.

The offensively gifted forward, who doesn’t turn 17 until August 22nd, leapt out of the gate to begin his first WHL campaign and has become one of the Wheat Kings’ top players, scoring 21 goals and 51 points through the first 47 games of his WHL career.

Schenn, who was drafted 9th overall at the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft, has combined with fellow 16-year-old rookie Scott Glennie and 17-year-old rookie Matt Calvert to form one of the best young lines in the WHL, and helped the Wheat Kings remain in contention for the East Division crown.

The younger brother of Kelowna Rockets’ standout defenseman and top NHL draft-eligible prospect Luke Schenn, Brayden also suited up for Team Western at the 2008 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and helped the team to a Bronze medal.

Considering what he’s managed to accomplish at the tender age of 16, Schenn appears destined to follow his older brother’s footsteps as one of the WHL’s most promising prospects.

Brayden Schenn’s Perspective

On the great start to his WHL career…
“It’s gone really well so far. I’ve had a good time with the guys, and I think I’ve played pretty well. I’ve got a couple of great linemates – Matt Calvert and Scott Glennie – who have really helped me do as well as I have. I think I’ve surprised myself in being able to put up the amount of points I have. I managed to get pretty comfortable early on, and it helped give me some confidence. Also, getting the ice time and having a team that has some confidence in you really helps. It’s been so much fun, so far.”

On his all-rookie line…
“It started in the pre-season – Calvert, Glennie and me – we got some chemistry and have kept it going from there. Both those guys can skate and shoot the puck. We’ve got good skill and good speed on this line, and we’ve been able to create lots of scoring chances and put up some points.”

On learning from his brother, Luke…
“It definitely helped me out, having him to talk to. He’s been in the WHL for a couple of years, helped me learn about how the League was and what to expect. He’s a great player, and he’s really supportive of me and always willing to talk.”

On the upcoming meeting between his Wheat Kings and Luke’s Rockets…
“We’re both looking forward to it. I’ll certainly give him a shot or two out there. I probably won’t try anything fancy on him, because he knows all my moves and he’s a really tough guy to beat.”

On life in Brandon…
“It’s been good. I like the city, and the fans are always great. It took some time to get used to living away from home, and being in a new place. It helps having good guys on the team to help you along.”

Jesse Watts
whl.ca