PDA

View Full Version : ECHL in Tri City???

HAF
03-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Anyone else been hearing this rumor??? Any validity to it?

RunTheGoalie
03-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Can't say as I have. I suspect the rumor is the invention of a Tri-City fan looking for a replacement for the team.

Problem is, if the owner of the Americans is losing money in the WHL, how can one expect to make money in a much more expensive league to operate?

Would more fans show up for a pro team?

Rooselk
03-26-2005, 07:39 PM
...but it would be very cool if true! Given that there are ECHL teams already in Victoria and Boise, the Tri-Cities would be a perfect fit if they could garner the fan support.

ScottyWazz
03-26-2005, 10:52 PM
If it were to happen, I don't think it would be an expansion team. It will more than likely be a team that relocated from the Southeast. Many teams are having money issues because of the rapid growth of the league and climbing cost of travel. New ownership would have to get a team there to put up the money to pay for the travel and for the players as well.

Sadly, I don't think it will come any time soon because of the unstable ground in the ECHL.

HAF
03-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I heard last night the ECHL was looking at 2 possibly three expansion teams. Reno was one possiblity and the Tri Cities were also. I'm not saying its true or not, That is just what the rumor is. I could see it in both those towns. The Northwest needs something between Boise and Victoria. Also, The Reno team would make a natural rival with Las Vegas and Idaho.

fightstrap50
03-28-2005, 12:02 AM
so if the area can support an ECHL team why the hell are the Am's moving is my question? :confused: this is all so retarded. I hope that the Americans dont get the vote that they need to move and stay put.

HAF
03-28-2005, 01:53 AM
so if the area can support an ECHL team why the hell are the Am's moving is my question? :confused: this is all so retarded. I hope that the Americans dont get the vote that they need to move and stay put.
Thats just it. The area can and would support a team. The Ams attendance really wasnt that bad. They say about 3,500 a game which was misquoted by the papers as 2,500. If owners would come in here with the attitude that they want to make it work and are willing to put a winning team on the ice they would have no attendance issues at all.

Jovorock
03-28-2005, 10:47 AM
If you get a American owner it might work. Potter when he bought the Ams probly had the idea from the beginning to move them to Victoria or Chilliwack?

RunTheGoalie
03-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Thats just it. The area can and would support a team. The Ams attendance really wasnt that bad. They say about 3,500 a game which was misquoted by the papers as 2,500. If owners would come in here with the attitude that they want to make it work and are willing to put a winning team on the ice they would have no attendance issues at all.

Officially, the Amerks averaged 3277, which puts them 32nd in the 56 team CHL, but 16th in the WHL.