PDA

View Full Version : Brandon @ Saskatoon

dagley
02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
It's the 20th Anniversary of Credit Union Centre tonight as the Blades host the Brandon Wheat Kings tonight and tickets are reduced to 1988 pricing, just $8 for adults and $4 for children. One lucky fan will win a guaranteed $1,988 50/50 jackpot while another will win a 1988 Cadillac!

The game day production will feature a retro theme with 1988 prizes, music, and more. A special pre-game presentation will also take place.

Tonight is the seventh of eight meetings this season that the Saskatoon Blades and the Brandon Wheat Kings. The Wheat Kings hold the season series edge on the Blades right now by winning 5 out of the 6 previous match-ups, including a 4-3 victory over Saskatoon the last time these two teams met on January 18th in Brandon. Stefan Elliott (1G 2A) and Sam Klassen (3A) lead the Blades offensive attack against the Wheat Kings, having collected 3 points each in the games versus Brandon this season. For the Wheat Kings, Scott Glennie (4G 5A) has collected 9 points against the Blades this season. The Blades have recalled forward Cody Chikie from St. Albert, AB to play tonight. Chikie (who will wear the #39 jersey for the Blades tonight), was added to the Blades 50 man protected list earlier this season. The Blades and Wheat Kings next meet March 7th in Saskatoon.

18 year old forward Derek Hulak (14G 24A) leads the team in points with 38. Stefan Elliott of the Blades (9G 23A) is tied for 10th overall in rookie scoring with 32 points. The Saskatoon Blades are ranked 12th overall in the league on the power-play with an 18.3% success rate with the man advantage (56 for 306). On the penalty kill, the Blades find themselves ranked 13th in the league by killing off 82.1% opposing team’s power-plays this season (276 for 336). 19 year old forward Mike Reich (191) sits 2nd amongst league leaders in penalty minutes. 20 year old Blades forward Chris Durand is now 4th overall in all time games played by a Saskatoon Blade with 315.

I personally use to live in Saskatoon for the early years of my life, and remember by first WHL game between Saskatoon and Brandon. I still find it ironic how I ended up here, and still remember that game quite vividly.

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I predict a 3 v 2 loss for the WK's..... let's hope I'm wrong!!

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Actually, all predictions are up in the air now I hear we've got our rookie goalie Graham Hildebrand making his debut tonight!!!!! I knew Kelly wasn't happy with Joe lately...but he is the backup....

dagley
02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, he's in net. A little odd to be honest.

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't mind giving him a game against a non playoff contender. It's all meant to give Joe a kick in the ass and get him playing like he was earlier in the season.

WorkHorse
02-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't mind giving him a game against a non playoff contender. It's all meant to give Joe a kick in the ass and get him playing like he was earlier in the season.

Interesting way to help Hayes build confidence and momentum off of last nights game. He's sitting in the stands? If the message was directed at Joe why is he backing up?

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 08:19 PM
You'd think the Saskatoon comentater would have figured out by the 2nd period that it's Boyle, not Doyle!!!!!

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Interesting way to help Hayes build confidence and momentum off of last nights game. He's sitting in the stands? If the message was directed at Joe why is he backing up?If I was one of the coaches i might feel qualified to answer you!!

TwoBits
02-09-2008, 08:24 PM
It's the 20th Anniversary of Credit Union Centre tonight as the Blades host the Brandon Wheat Kings tonight and tickets are reduced to 1988 pricing, just $8 for adults and $4 for children. One lucky fan will win a guaranteed $1,988 50/50 jackpot while another will win a 1988 Cadillac!

The game day production will feature a retro theme with 1988 prizes, music, and more. A special pre-game presentation will also take place.

Tonight is the seventh of eight meetings this season that the Saskatoon Blades and the Brandon Wheat Kings. The Wheat Kings hold the season series edge on the Blades right now by winning 5 out of the 6 previous match-ups, including a 4-3 victory over Saskatoon the last time these two teams met on January 18th in Brandon. Stefan Elliott (1G 2A) and Sam Klassen (3A) lead the Blades offensive attack against the Wheat Kings, having collected 3 points each in the games versus Brandon this season. For the Wheat Kings, Scott Glennie (4G 5A) has collected 9 points against the Blades this season. The Blades have recalled forward Cody Chikie from St. Albert, AB to play tonight. Chikie (who will wear the #39 jersey for the Blades tonight), was added to the Blades 50 man protected list earlier this season. The Blades and Wheat Kings next meet March 7th in Saskatoon.

18 year old forward Derek Hulak (14G 24A) leads the team in points with 38. Stefan Elliott of the Blades (9G 23A) is tied for 10th overall in rookie scoring with 32 points. The Saskatoon Blades are ranked 12th overall in the league on the power-play with an 18.3% success rate with the man advantage (56 for 306). On the penalty kill, the Blades find themselves ranked 13th in the league by killing off 82.1% opposing team’s power-plays this season (276 for 336). 19 year old forward Mike Reich (191) sits 2nd amongst league leaders in penalty minutes. 20 year old Blades forward Chris Durand is now 4th overall in all time games played by a Saskatoon Blade with 315.

I personally use to live in Saskatoon for the early years of my life, and remember by first WHL game between Saskatoon and Brandon. I still find it ironic how I ended up here, and still remember that game quite vividly.

Hey Dagley,

I was at that game too and being the pack rat that I am, I was able to dig up the program.

Blades Roster:

1. David Bell
35. Tim Cheveldae
Dean Kuntz
3. Tony Twist
4. Kelly Chotowetz
6. Dean Holoien
7. Mike Bukta
8. Darin Bader
9. Brian Gerritis
10. Collin Bauer
11. Jack Bowkus
12. Drew Sawtell
15. Kerry Clark
16. Curtis Leschyshyn
17. Paul Sutcliffe
18. Tracey Katelnikoff
19. Grant Tkachuk
20. Dwight Mullins
21. Jason Christie
22. Kelly Chase
23. Kevin Kaminski
25. Kory Kocur
27. Dean Sexsmith

Brandon Roster:

1. George Maneluk
30. Derek Babe
2. Kevin Cheveldayoff
3. Bob Woods
4. Steve Wienke
5. Paul Giokas
6. Brad Woods
7. Murray Rice
9. Brad Treliving
10. Troy Frederick
11. Dale Marquette
15. Chad Silver
16. Sean Crowther
17. Dwayne Newman
18. Jeff Odgers
20. Terry Menard
22. Barry Dreger
23. Troy Kennedy
24. Darren Parsons
25. Terry Yake
26. Cam Brown
27. Jason Taylor

Some impressive names up there.

I wonder if hisory will repeat itself? I know the weather is the same, cold enough to freeze the nuts off a plough!!! :laugh:

WorkHorse
02-09-2008, 08:43 PM

He seems to be doing well so far.

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 09:18 PM
He seems to be doing well so far.Made some unbelievable glove saves. Blades just got an iffy goal, looked like it was kicked in.

WorkHorse
02-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I predict a 3 v 2 loss for the WK's..... let's hope I'm wrong!!

Prediction right on.

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 09:38 PM
The Blades were pretty happy, looked like they'd won the memorial cup with that celebration in the corner......

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Prediction right on. Wish I'd been incorrect!!

WorkHorse
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Wish I'd been incorrect!!

I wish you'd been wrong too!

GlutenGlutton
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Most important thing about tonight:
By playing Hildebrand has committed to play WHL and not college. Looking forward to seeing him in Brandon next year, sounds like he is a good one.

sbtatter
02-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Most important thing about tonight:
By playing Hildebrand has committed to play WHL and not college. Looking forward to seeing him in Brandon next year, sounds like he is a good one. Yup, good point, that's awesome b/c there was BB chatter he was undecided...

dagley
02-10-2008, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if in the off-season Kelly trades Caliguri and makes Hayes the #1 for the next 3-4 years.

sbtatter
02-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if in the off-season Kelly trades Caliguri and makes Hayes the #1 for the next 3-4 years.
Hey, glad to see you're finally agreeing with me regarding the goalies!

Joe Hallenback
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
It wouldnt shock me to see Hildebrand as the number 1 next year sharing duties with Hayes

But from what I have heard Hayes stock as risen the past month in many scouts eyes and he might get a sniff at in the draft

sbtatter
02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
It wouldnt shock me to see Hildebrand as the number 1 next year sharing duties with Hayes

But from what I have heard Hayes stock as risen the past month in many scouts eyes and he might get a sniff at in the draft
I think it could be a HH tandem next season, Hayes backed up by Hildebrand....unless Joe realizes the situation and plays out of his skates the rest of the way.
Hayes has been hurt a lot this season and still developed well, imagine what a good stretch of playing will do for his confidence....his size and mobility are great, he just has to decide what style of goalie he wants to be..I personally think he could play similar to Price (but not likely quite at that level ;) )