PDA

View Full Version : Schenn given a letter

Brandonite
02-11-2008, 10:50 PM
With the recent injury to Theran Yeo, the Wheat Kings have given the Alternate Captain duties to 16 year old rookie Brayden Schenn. He's only been in the league for 6 months and hes already gained the respect from his peers and coaching staff. I don't think I have ever seen a 16 year old have a letter at all in this league. In the past players such as Brent Seabrook (Lethbridge/Captain), Mike Green (Saskatoon/Captain), Ryan Craig (Brandon/Alternate) were all given letters in just their 2nd seasons in the league at age 17. Thats an impressive group and it just keeps getting better for Schenn. Anyone have any intake?

wardog fan
02-11-2008, 10:53 PM
ya thats impressive to say the leat, being only 16 and given a letter wow.... i noticed that the last game they were here he was wearing a A... well done

Brandonite
02-11-2008, 10:58 PM
ya thats impressive to say the leat, being only 16 and given a letter wow.... i noticed that the last game they were here he was wearing a A... well done
I really wouldn't be surprised to see Schenn being named the Captain next season. Like I said Seabrook & Green were both captains in their 2nd seasons at age 17. Both those guys are regulars in the NHL today and I'm sure Schenn will get every opportunity to do the same...

wardog fan
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
its amazing sometimes to reflect and realize that the kids who play in this league are only 16-20 and for a 16 year old to be that mature and have leadership skills is somewhat astounding. these teenagers grow and mature so fast in this league . but ya not many players can say they had a letter at 16 years of age and im not just talking about brandon...

dagley
02-12-2008, 12:46 AM
We are more than likely getting the chance to see one of the top, if not the top pick in 2010.

Section Ten
02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I seem to remember Brandon Sutter with an 'A' a couple years ago when the Red Deer Rebels were in town. It was during his sixteen year old season...

And yes, the Wheat Kings did win the game. I think it was 6-3.

As for Schenn, his stock seems to go up every single game. It's easy to forget his age when you see him on the ice.

sbtatter
02-12-2008, 08:06 AM
We are more than likely getting the chance to see one of the top, if not the top pick in 2010.
He's an 09.

Joe Hallenback
02-12-2008, 08:33 AM
This guys stock just keeps rising and rising

I have him behind

Tavares
Hedman
Schenn

As the 3rd overall pick in the 09 Draft and believe me that is an awesome top end draft

I can't believe we stole him at 7? I remember seeing him playing for the Contacts at a midget tourny a year ago and thinking this is some kind of player. The last guy I saw like that at that age was Jonathan Toews

sbtatter
02-12-2008, 09:41 AM
This guys stock just keeps rising and rising

I have him behind

Tavares
Hedman
Schenn

As the 3rd overall pick in the 09 Draft and believe me that is an awesome top end draft

I can't believe we stole him at 7? I remember seeing him playing for the Contacts at a midget tourny a year ago and thinking this is some kind of player. The last guy I saw like that at that age was Jonathan Toews
If he has a good an U18 tournament this summer as his U17 was, he might start to get his name mentioned outside of Mb and Sk!!!

Joe Hallenback
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I know you and I have been pimping him at HFboards for the past year. But I really think the u17 Tourny opened alot of eyes up to him. He was bar none the best player at that event. If it wasnt for a powerhouse Ontario team, team west would have made it to the finals.

brandonboy
02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't say this just because he's on my hometown team but if i were a scout I like Schenn more than Tavares. I Think Shenn is a bigger, stronger version of him with better defensive awarness, Tavares is the better scorer but I think Shenn maybe has better on ice vision and makes players around him better.
But just my opinion, and you have to remember Tavares got his start as a 15 year old in a leauge that scoring is easier to come by.
I say for sure a no.2 pick, wich brings me to ask do you guys think he will be around more than one more year?

Trey Anastasio
02-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Given the C at 17 years old, youngest captain in the history of the WHL.

WHEATMAN
02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't say this just because he's on my hometown team but if i were a scout I like Schenn more than Tavares. I Think Shenn is a bigger, stronger version of him with better defensive awarness, Tavares is the better scorer but I think Shenn maybe has better on ice vision and makes players around him better.
But just my opinion, and you have to remember Tavares got his start as a 15 year old in a leauge that scoring is easier to come by.
I say for sure a no.2 pick, wich brings me to ask do you guys think he will be around more than one more year?

I completely disagree. Schenn is no doubt a unbelieveable player and saying he could be a top 5 pick next year is a real possibility, but come on comparing him to Tavares is crazy. Tavares and Schenn are the same height, and weight, so I couldn't see size being an issue between the two. The knock on Tavares is his skating, so how do you think he scores? the answer would be his on ice vision, when it comes to knowing where to be to score Tavares has Schenn beat hands down and that isn't a knock on Schenn that just proves how good Tavares really is. Schenn is unreal but Tavares is a cut above. To answer your question, I think it is too early to say if he will be back for one more year, there is still alot of hockey to be played between now and then.

Brandonite
02-13-2008, 05:55 PM

Settle down...Brayden Schenn is an unreal player but not as good as John Tavares. Come on now!

dagley
02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
There are good comparisons about the two. However Tavares is older and built bigger than Schenn is, although Schenn ultimately outweighs Tavares by 13 pounds. Schenn will ultimately be the better NHL player, he has all the skills needed to be successful professional player. Tavares knack for the net will ultimately provide him to be a 40+ goal scorer in the NHL, however Brayden is a much more solid player. He can score, he can set it up, he can hit and the most overwhelming difference between the two is that Brayden has a lot better skating than Tavares. It's hard to judge a player by not watching him play live, so it's hard to give an unbias opinion on Tavares, but from what I saw on TSN during the WJHC, he needs to improve his skating. Schenn will go top 3 in 2010, so you know.

WHEATMAN
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
With all this talk about where Schenn could be drafted, it makes me wonder when Glennie could be taken, I'm thinking maybe 10-15th or something in that ballpark if he continues playing the way he has this season.

dagley
02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Glennie will be a first round pick, without a doubt. He will more than likely play with Schenn his entire junior career. With Schenn and Calvert on a line for potential another two years after this season he should definitely rack up a considerable amount of points. He has the chance to be a 40 goal scorer in the WHL and will no doubt open the eyes of scouts. We shall see if they live up to the Fehr/Stone duo I made them out to be :P

sbtatter
02-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Schenn will go top 3 in 2010. He's an 09 dagley

dagley
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Hmm, with Tavares :O~

sbtatter
02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Hmm, with Tavares :O~And Hedman....