PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the top through Central

nivek_wahs
02-15-2008, 09:32 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=1a0f9782-9ad8-49ce-bc50-9b2bf0d40ffe

Trip to the top through Central

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, February 15, 2008
The Regina Pats don't need a road map to figure out there are no shortcuts to their first East Division crown in 10 years.

The only sure path is a direct route, one that will require successfully navigating a six-game, nine-day trip that begins with stops in three Central Division strongholds: Kootenay, Lethbridge and Calgary.

"It's going to be tough because of the teams we're playing," offered Pats sniper Jordan Eberle, whose club opens the trip tonight against the Kootenay Ice. "If you look at our division it's so close right now that if you lose one game you could drop three spots just like that. Every game right now until the end of the season is going to be really important."

Despite a few close calls, the Pats are still clinging to top spot in the East Division with 14 regular-season games left. Regina has a four-point edge on the Swift Current Broncos (13 games remaining) and a five-point lead on the Moose Jaw Warriors (15 games left).

The winner of the division will automatically be seeded no lower than second in the Eastern Conference, thus guaranteeing home-ice advantage through the first two rounds of the playoffs.

The Pats are determined to claim the division crown -- their first since 1997-98 -- but the calibre of their pursuers suggests they'll have to earn it.

"The challenge is to be consistent," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "The stakes get a little higher this time of year. We're going into some difficult buildings. There are some challenges but I liked our week of practice. Just talking to the guys individually and in small groups, I like our focus and our recognition of where we are and maybe more importantly who we are. We're trying to stress that it takes everybody and it takes everybody every night to have success."

The Pats are slated to have all hands on deck for their trip, with the exception of tough guy Josh Elder, who received a two-game suspension for his post-game fight with Frazer McLaren of the Moose Jaw Warriors on Saturday night.

Elder aside, it's the first time in almost three months that Regina has boasted a full healthy roster.

"That's exciting," said Hunt. "It helps with the overall energy and excitement when the guys come to the rink. I think we know we're a good club but now we're a healthy club. That's important."

The Pats' ability to win on the road was once an Achilles heel, but that appeared to change after a mid-January trip when they beat each of the top four teams in the Central Division: The Ice, Hurricanes, Hitmen and Medicine Hat Tigers. Regina now owns a respectable 15-10-2-1 record away from the Brandt Centre.

"It should give the guys confidence to know we've been there and we can do it again," noted Pats right-winger Brett Leffler. "We have to play hard, stick to our game and do nothing special because we are on the road and we're playing against (top) teams. We have to do what we do (best) -- get pucks in, chip pucks, be physical and play our game."

The Pats also know there's a fine line between winning and losing in those venues. All four victories on their last trip were by one goal, including one via shootout and another in overtime.

"That's the way it has been and that's how we've had our success with those grind-it-out type of games," said Hunt. "The margin for error is small. It's a chip here or there or a finished check or a battle to get to a loose puck. Those are the little things we've been doing in those games to make us successful."

The Pats conclude their trip against the three worst teams in the conference: The Red Deer Rebels, Prince Albert Raiders and Saskatoon Blades. Those teams have combined for eight wins against Regina this season.

The Pats' first game back at the Brandt Centre -- site of the Scotties Tournament of Hearts -- is Feb. 27 against the Kamloops Blazers.

Six of the Pats' final eight regular-season games are on home ice.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

dagley
02-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I said from the beginning of the year its between Regina and Brandon, 3 points behind you now. Would have been 1, with the lackluster performance last night.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-15-2008, 06:36 PM
I said from the beginning of the year its between Regina and Brandon, 3 points behind you now. Would have been 1, with the lackluster performance last night.

Woulda, could, shoulda. The wheaties got their asses kicked last night regardless. Perhaps it they showed up, the score would have been less one-sided, but maybe they still wouldnt have won.

The pats lost a total of 7 games to teams red deer, and saskatoon, but that is also the same case. We should've won, we could've won, but we didnt.

I think Brandon might be in an uphill battle with all the injuries they got now. Should be interesting to see where they end up.

sbtatter
02-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Woulda, coulda, shoulda is right. It'll be interesting to see how long these injuries effect Dittmer, Boyle, McCue. Going to be a very interesting last 15 game or so in the East!!!!

dagley
02-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Woulda, could, shoulda. The wheaties got their asses kicked last night regardless. Perhaps it they showed up, the score would have been less one-sided, but maybe they still wouldnt have won.

The pats lost a total of 7 games to teams red deer, and saskatoon, but that is also the same case. We should've won, we could've won, but we didnt.

I think Brandon might be in an uphill battle with all the injuries they got now. Should be interesting to see where they end up.

We dont have any injuries except Yeo who should be back Wednesday against Moose Jaw. And Dittmer who is day-to-day

patsdude114
02-16-2008, 03:08 AM
Brandon still doesnt have the goaltending to make a big splash anyways... the goalie that kinda scares me the most for the playoffs in the eastern conference is Perricone and Yonkman... Yonkman played some great games during the Broncos resent winning streak, and well Perricone he does have the most playoff experience of any goalie in the eastern conference (if not the WHL) he took the Warriors to the league final beat a Calgary Hitmen team that the Warriors didnt really have any business beating.

Rowat could get hot as well, he is kinda streaky at times though.

But to be quite honest i think the Broncos are going to finish 2nd behind the Pats in the division, followed by MJ then Brandon. The main reason i feel this way is because of Brandon's goaltending.

Congrats to the Pats tonight for clinching that playoff spot with a win over Kootney. A 3-1 win with our back up between the pipes, Eberle's 4 game goal scoring streak came to a end still sits 2nd in league with 35goals whats scares me is this kid is only 17 and should be in the league until he is 19yrs old.

Another big match up tomorrow night in Lethbridge, hopfully another 2pts in store for us but see how the games goes:)

GO PATS GO

nivek_wahs
02-16-2008, 06:28 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=0eb261a9-6142-406b-a96e-7483c2e3a552

Pats Ice another victory

The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, February 16, 2008
The Regina Pats opened their six-game road trip on Friday night with a 3-1 win over the Kootenay Ice.

Rudolf Cerveny scored the game-winner 4:04 into the third period and added an insurance marker with two seconds left. The Pats also got 26 saves from rookie Jeff Bosch.

With the win, the Pats improved to 36-18-3-2 and maintained their hold on first place in the East Division. Regina is four points ahead of the Swift Current Broncos, five up on the Brandon Wheat Kings and six ahead of the Moose Jaw Warriors.

Swift Current beat Moose Jaw 4-3 on Friday thanks to an overtime goal by Bretton Stamler. It was the Warriors' fourth straight loss.

Regina has won three in a row, a streak which began last weekend with a home-and-home sweep of Moose Jaw.

On Friday in Cranbrook, Kootenay's Dustin Sylvester opened the scoring at 9:12 of the first period, but Brett Leffler responded for the visitors with just 17 seconds left in the frame.

Bosch did the rest in a surprise start. Ice veteran Kris Lazaruk took the loss with 26 saves.

Regina went 1-for-8 on the power play while Kootenay was 1-for-6.

The Pats are slated to visit the Lethbridge Hurricanes tonight, followed by two days off before playing back-to-back games against the Calgary Hitmen (Tuesday) and Red Deer Rebels (Wednesday). The Pats will return home briefly, then conclude the trip with games against the Prince Albert Raiders (Friday) and Saskatoon Blades (Saturday).

EXTRAS: Pats RW Jordan Eberle has been named the 'Fan's choice' WHL player-of-the-week after recording three goals and two assists in three games ... Pats LW Josh Elder began serving a two-game suspension on Friday for last weekend's post-game fight with Frazer McLaren of the Warriors ... Regina's other scratches were rookie D-men Alex Pym and Dallas Jackson.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

sbtatter
02-16-2008, 11:25 AM
We dont have any injuries except Yeo who should be back Wednesday against Moose Jaw. And Dittmer who is day-to-dayAnd Boyle, who we really miss.....

dagley
02-16-2008, 01:22 PM
And Boyle, who we really miss.....

...Boyle played Wed and Thurs.

sbtatter
02-16-2008, 01:47 PM
...Boyle played Wed and Thurs.He played a couple shifts Thursday before leaving injured on a late hit during the pk

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think Cervany has 4 of his 8 goals this season all against the Ice.

Also, does anyone know why Jackson has been scratched? Is he injured, or been a healthy scratch? I dont see why he should be a healthy scratch the way he has been playing.

patsdude114
02-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Also, does anyone know why Jackson has been scratched? Is he injured, or been a healthy scratch? I dont see why he should be a healthy scratch the way he has been playing.

I totally agree with u SAJ on the Jackson thing..... he has been nothing but steady for us since we have got him at trade deadline. He is way more reliable then Pym or Kulchar (put together) now with that said i am not taking anything away from Pym or Kulchar there jus isnt enough ice to give these guys right now. Nexted season they will log some good minutes each and every night. Jackson will be in our top 3 nexted season, may drop down to 4 if Pyett or Bartley return as a 20 yr old but honestly cant see either 1 of them returning as i am sure a AHL deal will be offered to both players. If not ill take either 1 of them back as a 20 yr old though.

Wow what happened with the boys tonight i turned it off after 4-0 almost turned it off at 3-0. I think Brandon sent us there bad luck from there game in Kelowna.

It is also funny though last night (friday night) Pedersen said Rowat came down with the flu bug on their trip to Cranbrook but yet after having the flu bug on thrusday and friday they put him between the pipes on saturday. The way Bosch played against Kootney i would of gave Rowat another day off of rest. A buddy of mine said that Bosch made some pretty big saves when he came in for Rowat as he watched the game on the web. Sometimes i really scratch my head at Hunt. Now with that said as well from how Roddy was talking in the 1st when Rowat got the hook it sounded like no goal was Rowat fault as the team was really flat infront of him, But that is when your goalie needs to come up big and get the boys going as well...

moon
02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
I totally agree with u SAJ on the Jackson thing..... he has been nothing but steady for us since we have got him at trade deadline. He is way more reliable then Pym or Kulchar (put together) now with that said i am not taking anything away from Pym or Kulchar there jus isnt enough ice to give these guys right now.

This is just from last nights game and I am not sure if it applies to him overall but the one thing I noticed about Jackson is he seems to take a lot of risks with the puck, especially in his own end and I am not sure he has the skill to make those moves.

Although last night it seemed to me that nobody on the Pats wanted to make the simple play and were happier spending time trying to make a spectacular play or make a huge hit, I did notice some odd decisions by Jackson when he had the puck.

A buddy of mine said that Bosch made some pretty big saves when he came in for Rowat as he watched the game on the web. Sometimes i really scratch my head at Hunt. Now with that said as well from how Roddy was talking in the 1st when Rowat got the hook it sounded like no goal was Rowat fault as the team was really flat infront of him, But that is when your goalie needs to come up big and get the boys going as well...

None of the goals were the goalies fault, although Rowat did leave some big rebounds out there. As I said earlier to me it looked like the Pats were more concerned with making a big hit/show the Canes how tough they were (Teubert especially) and were often out of position as a result. Also, Pyett seemed ready to take the breakaway feed more than covering his own man as well. (How he got a star is beyond me I thought defensively he was awful out there)

I am not sure how much of an indication this game was in regards to how the Pats normally play but to me they looked like a team that does not make smart decisions and let their emotions get way out of whack. They were bad on face-offs, rarely made the easy play, tried to make a huge hit rather than a smart defensive play, too often left their man in their own zone, made "odd" passes when a easier option was there. Too many guys trying to show how tough they were rather than actually play hockey.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi nivek wahs. Read your article and have to point out something to you that makes the race for 2nd in the Eastern conference even more interesting for you. Your article stated the following: The winner of the division will automatically be seeded no lower than second in the Eastern Conference, thus guaranteeing home-ice advantage through the first two rounds of the playoffs.

Sorry to tell you this but you will only be guaranteed the second seed (if you win the East Division) and home ice in the first round. In the second round, all teams are seeded by "points only". If the season ended today, and the top 4 seeds all win in the first round, the Canes will get home ice against you in the second round. The following is copied directly from the WHL website.

""The Western Hockey League will be implementing a new playoff format for the 2007-08 Season. The WHL's Eastern and Western Conferences will use a Conference playoff format for the upcoming year. The first place teams in the two Divisions in each Conference will receive the top two playoff seeds based on regular season points. The next six Clubs in each Conference, based on regular season points, will receive the 3rd - 8th playoff positions. The Clubs will be paired 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, and 4 vs. 5 in a best-of-seven series.

The first place Clubs in each Division will be guaranteed the top two playoff seeds in the first round. As in previous seasons, the format for the remaining three rounds of the WHL Playoffs will remain the same. The four Clubs winning first round series in each Conference will advance to the second round, where they will be ranked in order of regular season points. The Clubs will be paired 1 vs. 4, and 2 vs. 3 in best of seven series.""

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-17-2008, 02:51 PM
What's up with J D Watt. He went wacko last night after getting slammed to the ice like a sack of wheat by our Foremost Ab. farmboy, Ben Wright. Started beating on the glass with his bare hands in the penalty box and it looked like he was gonna explode. That boy has temper management issues and seems to hurt your team way more than help it. Good thing the Canes let off the gas big time after getting up 5-0 cause the Pats lost there cool huge. Your coach has lost control of this team. You guys beat us 2-1 in a shootout first game or 2 after the trade deadline and looked great. Tuff hard knock team and I thought you really had something going. After what I saw last night your team needs to control itself a lot better cause they have talent but will lose it in the playoffs with bad penalties etc. i thought your coach was like team Canada material but the way he lost control of his players shows me he is not of that caliber. Am I right about him??

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I think we expected another easy game being that we have beaten lethbridge before, and when it wasnt as easy as expected, we started to get pissed when it was too late.The arrogance of this team is starting to cost us games, and we gotta start taknig teams that are as strong of a team as we are, if not stronger... at least mentally.

I would like to see us approach every game the same, instead of trying to humor the opponent. We got a good team but we obviously still have to work on things, especially the whole ego thing.

We have not accomplished anything yet, so I dont see why we play this way. also, if we cant do things the normal way, why try it the fancy way? Theres the ego thing again.

I hope we take a different attitude in against calgary, and maintain our position in 2nd.

patsdude114
02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
I for 1 am not a Curtis Hunt fan never have been from day 1, I think he has alot of problems dealing with younger kids. He may do better with a team full of elite players that are actually going some where in hockey but as far as the mediocar players who really have no future in hockey he doesnt have a sniff to get the most out of them.

I for 1 know that Terry Perkins isnt really liked in the dressing room at all, players repell him alot. I am not stateing who and where I have heard this from as this is a well known site not just from a fans point of view.

I do agree though that the Pats do have a big EGO problem and that ego got alot bigger after the trade deadline. We do have the right players in tact to make a run at things when we play a team game, physical play and use our speed. But to get these kids to understand that no matter who your playing you must compete each and every night is another problem all in its own. This team needs to leave its ego's in the dressing room and play as a team for a whole 60 minutes. We did that against Kootney and it got us a 3-1 win, also against Moose Jaw and we won 5-4 and 2-1. The Pats cant get into shootouts during games as our offense isnt going to compete with most teams in the East. We are going to win the close tight checking games as we are a big, strong, physical team. Outside of Eberle our goal scoring talent really drops off, our team is build around guys mucking it up getting into the hard areas to score, were not going to out finesse a team by anymeans.

We need to get back to square 1 and compete for a 60 minute game. I am sure the boys will be ready to go come Tuesday night in Calgary. The Calgary game doesnt really concern me as much as our nexted 3 afterwards Red Deer, Prince Albert and Saskatoon we have struggled against lower non-playoff teams (yes we do got a good record against PA tho) should be interesting 3 wins against those teams should be a must but honestly i cant see it...

but GO PATS GO

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=Some_Arrogant_Jerk]I think we expected another easy game being that we have beaten lethbridge before, and when it wasnt as easy as expected, we started to get pissed when it was too late.The arrogance of this team is starting to cost us games, and we gotta start taknig teams that are as strong of a team as we are, if not stronger... at least mentally.

If they were expecting an easy game they have not been paying attention, and again the Canes don't get the respect they deserve. :burningma We are ahead of the Pats in the standings and have games in hand and just beat Calgary the night before. Not to mention we are like 14-1-0-2 since Jan 1st. I think the Pats only beat us by 1 goal each game and 2 were O/T or shootout wins.
I think we need to do some damage in the playoffs before this team gets any respect. Not being a homer, but we have as good a chance as anyone and better than most to win the East. Then we might get some respect.We are also 4-1 against Calgary and have shut them out twice. The Hat is still our nemesis. I think theyare like 4-0-1-1 against us.
Blowing teams out 9-0 8-1 9-4 7-0 and 7-1 in the last few weeks just ain't good enuff.
Should be some great playoffs and I think we will met the Pats in the second round. We should finish in top 3 and the Pats will get second seed so it is about 80 -20 we will meet.

sbtatter
02-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Should be some great playoffs and I think we will met the Pats in the second round. We should finish in top 3 and the Pats will get second seed so it is about 80 -20 we will meet.
I don't think you 2 will meet in the 2nd round. Want to make a side bet on it?!
I think Calgary's going to win the East without too much trouble, unless injuries hit them hard.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't think you 2 will meet in the 2nd round. Want to make a side bet on it?!
I think Calgary's going to win the East without too much trouble, unless injuries hit them hard.
Your on. Who will the Canes and pats play then, or are they not gonna make the second round.

canes77
02-19-2008, 07:15 PM

Lethbridge is 4-1 against Calgary this yr...Im not saying the Canes can beat them in 7 games, but Calgary will have a lot of trouble winning the East if they have to go through Lethbridge.

fan1
02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Wont even be close if Calgary's pp gets going tonoite against Regina 4pp goals and shorthanded one. SC is the darkhorse

sbtatter
02-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Your on. Who will the Canes and pats play then, or are they not gonna make the second round.Canes will make it to the 2nd round i think, unless they face MH in the first round....How many $$ on them not playing the Pats in the 2nd round?

CJSenterprise4
02-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Bad couple of games but now the team has to get it together and win these next 3 games against easier opponents

patsdude114
02-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Bad couple of games but now the team has to get it together and win these next 3 games against easier opponents

HAHAHA at easier opponents we have struggled badly with the so called lower teams in the league especially against saskatoon..... PA is playing some pretty good hockey of late especially with a win over swift current 7-3 and shutting out Moose Jaw 3-0. We have played pretty badly against Red Deer all season (but we did win tonight 5-1)

I hope we can take these nexted 2 games to be on a 3 game winning streak but time will tell. A 4-2 record would be nice on this road trip, but for some reason i am thinking we will settle for 3-3 jsut got this funny feeling.....

We have got to start playing as a group on a regular basis, until we start doing that i dont see us making much noise in the playoffs to be honest. So time will tell over these nexted 3 ta 4 weeks how we r going to make out... I really hope we step it up and get back on track like we did after all these trades. The only thing i see that may be in our favour come playoff time, is the games get alot closer in terms of checking, and i think that comes into our favour big time. But with that said if we decide to take the 1st period off in the playoffs most games we will be in alot of trouble.

And finally Hunt inserts Jackson back into the line up again and hes +1 with a assist. I really like this kid he was a steal in my mind for Valach and Ofukany.

Does anyone know how long Bosch is out for????

Maybe Hunt takes a look at Ketlo against PA this weekend.... and damn i really hope Hunt doesnt play our back up (whoever it is) against Saskatoon. After what has happened the past few games against them we need a vetern goalie back there to help settle the guys down with some saves, and not let the team get rattled when the blades do score a goal. Once we are rattled Reich will have his hay day with the Pats at getting under their skin. I hope on Friday night the boys arnt looking ahead of PA to Saturday night for a date with Reich and the Blades... if that happens it could be a loooooong night in PA

nivek_wahs
02-21-2008, 09:48 AM
And finally Hunt inserts Jackson back into the line up again and hes +1 with a assist. I really like this kid he was a steal in my mind for Valach and Ofukany.I agree with you on Jackson but I dunno about a "steal" part. He has been a really good pickup.

nivek_wahs
02-21-2008, 09:52 AM

HAHAHA at easier opponents we have struggled badly with the so called lower teams in the league especially against saskatoon.....

I don't think that easier opponents was what was meant by that comment... but more along the lines of teams below us in the standings. I agree we have taken a few on the chin by the Blades and Rebels (amongst others). Adversity is a good thing... I think.