PDA

View Full Version : Moose Jaw 3 @ Swift Current 4 OT

Big Ern
02-16-2008, 01:12 AM
The Broncos came out with speed, the Warriors responded with rough play, and ended up on the wrong end of a 4-3 OT score versus Swift Current tonight. Swift Current won for the 11th time in it's last 12 games, and pulled into a tie with Medicine Hat for home ice advantage in round one of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

This game was EXTREMELY exciting for the 2500+ fans in attendance at the Credit Union i-Plex tonight. Huge hits all game long, some creative plays, and lots of chances from both sides is what fans were treated to. There were moments when the Broncos were totally in control, hits so enormous that they sent Moose Jaw players into the bench upside down, mixed with some defensive breakdowns throughout the game. The bottom line however, is the result at the end. The Broncos ended and won the game on a labelled shot from Bretton Stamler, who had a whale of a game again tonight.

The stat you notice most looking at this game tonight and the season series in general between these two clubs, is how close the games have been. With the exception of the 7-4 Swift Current win in Moose Jaw, all the games in the season series have gone to OT or a shootout. And fortunately, the Broncos have come out on top in all five matchups. Does it mean the Broncos are a better team? I think so. With one game, you can't really tell, but when there's five wins, I think you could pretty much say the Broncos are the more skilled hockey club. In this new league, speed and skill will beat out goons and toughness. Having said that, our defense has been good against Moose Jaw as well....never mind our speed and skill. It's great to get the wins against MJ, but it's also extremely entertaining to watch these two teams duke it out.

Now, some POINTS on the game:

Defense

-WOW...look at our aquisitions again...Dudas and Stamler were FANTASTIC. How about the hit dished out by Stamler that knocked the Moose Jaw Warrior right into his bench upside down??!! Funny, but a great hit and THUNDEROUS!! Unfortunately, the puck ended up in our net on the play, but the hit was enough to cover for that. And the return of Jesse Dudas? He is so calm out there...so composed and a sound guy defensively.

-our other defense had some problems throughout the game. I thought there were some breakdowns, and on a few quick take-aways by Moose Jaw, Yonks had to be sharp. He was there for the most part...he got us the win in the end. Those little mistakes can be improved...that soft rolling puck can be kept in on the blue line....some of our guys have to pay more attention to these little things that add up to win the game.

-in the physical department, I think the Broncos responded well to Moose Jaw. Of course you know MJ is gonna come out hitting hard...their team is built around that. But again, our defensemen responded with some big hits of their own.

-when given a chance, the Warriors are dangerous offensively. They wait for that chance a bit too much....but they run when it's safe. They managed to tie the game at 2 and at 3. Both goals were scored after mistakes by our guys.

Offense

-no one is really on fire right now. Everyone seems to chip in with goals and assists. That of course, is called scoring by committee, and is a great sign for any hockey club. It causes teams to be very deep, so they can even win without the Weises and the Wilsons, and so on. That's what's happening in Broncoland right now.

-names to mention are Zack Smith, who worked extremely hard tonight, Matt Tassone who also worked hard, David Steiler, who had two points, Erik Felde with a goal, and Levi Nelson who had the winning assist.

-with the exception of one or two mistakes and a little too much hold-back on the shots at times, (Perricone was weak) the Bronco forwards were all exceptional tonight. Again, the points are stretched all over the forward roster today....I love it.

.................................................. ..................................................

Swift Current has a huge game tomorrow. Those two points out of P.A. are crucial, as the guys are in a big race right now, and right in the swing of things. Every point is very valuable. They have to come out with fire and can't take the Raiders lightly.

NOTES:

-2500+ again tonight! That's amazing. Our team has stepped up, and the fans are taking notice.

-some of our not-so-young security guys were outside directing traffic before the game today. Taking nothing away from volunteers every game night, that's a joke. This is Swift Current, for Godness Sakes. lol Is traffic direction needed? Ummmm...haha Some of those old-timers out there acted like Jim Lahey of Trailer Park Boys.

-I'm making the long trek to P.A. tomorrow. I have never seen a game in the Art Hauser Centre. Hopefully it's an enjoyable experience. Look for a game recap around 3 AM. :)

-I had dinner at BP's after the game, and had a chance to sit down with some of the guys, including Dale Weise, Erik Felde, and Bretton Stamler. It was the first time I had really met Bretton..he seems like a class act and a great person.

-BTW, Deano is now 5 and 0 versus Dave Hunchak! WOOOO!!!

-and not that it matters to you (unless you're FLATHEAD...then it's kind of in your face...haha) but yes.....the Dallas Stars won again. They knocked off Anaheim 4-2 for their seventh win in their last eight games. GO STARS GO!! :P

stick boy
02-16-2008, 03:41 AM
Why are you ragging on the security guys?

Last game a number of people parked in the fire truck zone so this game they were just trying to keep people in the designated zones.

Scout
02-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Can someone tell me why the 20 year-old vet Terrance Delaronde would challenge 16 year-old rookie Cody Eakin off the face-off? The guy is a seasoned vet and has 3" and 35 lbs. on Eakin. Cody should have skated away from the challenge and left it up to one of the vets to take the challenge but i think it caught them all off guard. Guys like Stamler, Dudas or Smith would have obliged Delaronde but i guess after seeing Smith fight Grantham Delaronde new it wouldn't be a sure win. The thing that made me even more mad is when Eakin went down Delaronde kept firing rights. I give Cody marks for getting back up but i'm thankful the linsemen stepped in. The worst of it was Delaronde skating away laughing with his arms out. Did he think he beat the heavey in the league? The guy showed no respect . If he was trying to fire up his guys it backfired. Stamler hit a guy so hard at the Warrior bench the Moose Jaw player went head first, upside down into the players bench.

Also rookie Taylor Vause, a 16 year-old midget rookie call up lays a good clean hit along the boards on a Warrior player and the Warrior jumps up and attacks Vause from behind throwing haymakers. Vause is 140 lbs. Thank goodness Stamler and Tassone stepped in and dropped the mitts to protect Vause. I looked at the stat sheet for that scrum and noticed Tassone never even got a penalty. How could Byblow miss that call. Tassone was throwing them at a steady pace until the Warrior went down yet neither got a penalty. The only good thing to come out of the Delaronde beating of Eakin was it woke up some of our guys. Dudas who is 6'1" 228 lbs. seemed to play with a burr under his butt after that. He played aggressive and was bumping guys the rest of the game after the whistle with no one accepting. I'm not saying the Warrior players were scared but they seemed disinterested. Back to Delorande. After he went to the banch after serving his penalty, Hunch went to him and must have given him an earful as Delorande was putting his hands in the air like he was saying what did i do wrong.

Ok Warrior fans, i'm sure you will be all over me for my comments, but come on. You have enough tough guys and teams know this but why go after rookies? Grantham although most teams don't care for him never goes after a rookie unless challenged and will always go after the other teams tough guy. But why any vet would challenge a rookie alot smaller and be laughing in his face after the fight has no class. I'm sure Grantham was even embarrased.

Scout

stick boy
02-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Good call Scout on Delaronde embarrassing himself. That was probably the most cowardly thing I have seen all season. Remember when Weise ran over Glennnie and then Brayden Schenn skated all the way across the ice to challenge him. Weise did everything he could to avoid that fight but Schenn took his gloves and helmet off so Weise had no choice (19 versus 16). Delaronde spent at least 30 seconds yapping at Eakin, good on Cody for answering the bell but he really should have skated away.

Great to see Stamler and Tassone lay the smack down on two Warriors after Smith went all cry-baby after getting rocked by a 16-year-old in his 3rd WHL game. There were certainly a lot of Broncos fists connecting with Warriors faces in that one.

Great win for the guys after stinking the joint out in the first period. Yonks really saved us, he was the best Bronco by a mile.

Big Ern
02-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Good call Scout on Delaronde embarrassing himself. That was probably the most cowardly thing I have seen all season. Remember when Weise ran over Glennnie and then Brayden Schenn skated all the way across the ice to challenge him. Weise did everything he could to avoid that fight but Schenn took his gloves and helmet off so Weise had no choice (19 versus 16). Delaronde spent at least 30 seconds yapping at Eakin, good on Cody for answering the bell but he really should have skated away.

Great to see Stamler and Tassone lay the smack down on two Warriors after Smith went all cry-baby after getting rocked by a 16-year-old in his 3rd WHL game. There were certainly a lot of Broncos fists connecting with Warriors faces in that one.

Great win for the guys after stinking the joint out in the first period. Yonks really saved us, he was the best Bronco by a mile.

I look over this last comment and have to ask myself what game you were watching. The guys came out hard from the get-go...they grabbed a 2-0 lead and kept it coming in the first frame. I hardly think that's "stinking up the joint."

On the fight situation, I totally agree with you. Dave Hunchak has to realize it's not Regina that he's playing. Yes...Moose Jaw does seem to have a few pansies on their squad.

Flathead
02-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Can someone tell me why the 20 year-old vet Terrance Delaronde would challenge 16 year-old rookie Cody Eakin off the face-off? The guy is a seasoned vet and has 3" and 35 lbs. on Eakin. Cody should have skated away from the challenge and left it up to one of the vets to take the challenge but i think it caught them all off guard. Guys like Stamler, Dudas or Smith would have obliged Delaronde but i guess after seeing Smith fight Grantham Delaronde new it wouldn't be a sure win. The thing that made me even more mad is when Eakin went down Delaronde kept firing rights. I give Cody marks for getting back up but i'm thankful the linsemen stepped in. The worst of it was Delaronde skating away laughing with his arms out. Did he think he beat the heavey in the league? The guy showed no respect . If he was trying to fire up his guys it backfired. Stamler hit a guy so hard at the Warrior bench the Moose Jaw player went head first, upside down into the players bench.

Also rookie Taylor Vause, a 16 year-old midget rookie call up lays a good clean hit along the boards on a Warrior player and the Warrior jumps up and attacks Vause from behind throwing haymakers. Vause is 140 lbs. Thank goodness Stamler and Tassone stepped in and dropped the mitts to protect Vause. I looked at the stat sheet for that scrum and noticed Tassone never even got a penalty. How could Byblow miss that call. Tassone was throwing them at a steady pace until the Warrior went down yet neither got a penalty. The only good thing to come out of the Delaronde beating of Eakin was it woke up some of our guys. Dudas who is 6'1" 228 lbs. seemed to play with a burr under his butt after that. He played aggressive and was bumping guys the rest of the game after the whistle with no one accepting. I'm not saying the Warrior players were scared but they seemed disinterested. Back to Delorande. After he went to the banch after serving his penalty, Hunch went to him and must have given him an earful as Delorande was putting his hands in the air like he was saying what did i do wrong.

Ok Warrior fans, i'm sure you will be all over me for my comments, but come on. You have enough tough guys and teams know this but why go after rookies? Grantham although most teams don't care for him never goes after a rookie unless challenged and will always go after the other teams tough guy. But why any vet would challenge a rookie alot smaller and be laughing in his face after the fight has no class. I'm sure Grantham was even embarrased.

Scout
I was a little disappointed with the way MJ played as well. It was very cowardly. I wondered what the heck Eakin was doing dropping the gloves, we need him on the ice, then I saw that it was one of there 20's that got him to go. Like you said why is a twenty going after a 16 year old rookie that's not known for fighting. But I was also glad that Eakin did step up and show that he wasn't going to be bullied around.
What I was more upset about is how our 5'7" 140lbs, 16 year old AP, in his third game gets jumped from behind after throwing a very hard and clean hit. Be a man , take the hit, you got cranked by an AP, suck it up. But again great to see the guys on the ice come to the aid of another team mate and wow did tassone and Stamler ever lay a beating on the guys they got a hold of!!
Tassone never did come back though, anyone know what happened? Possibly bust up his hand?
A very entertaining game, with a playoff like atmosphere. There was a little of everything, big hits, fights, nice goals, horrible officiating(lol), and we won!!
Ern, the Stars are playing above themselves and if they have to meet the Canucks in the playoffs, ....well I'm sure you know what happened in the past! lol Just kidding they're playing some good hockey.

stick boy
02-16-2008, 10:06 AM
The Broncos got outshot 19-7 and took some dumb penalties in the first period. They came out flat and chased the Warriors around their own zone most of the period Ern. I don't think the coaches message in the dressing room was about how well they were playing after the first period.

Good on the Broncos for earning a 2-1 lead after 20 but it was only from Yonkman's stellar play and some opportunistic offense and shaky Perricone play that the Broncos got that lead. The second period was much better (to those who were watching the game) where we created offense and took care of our own end very well (besides letting Grantham waltz through the defense).

ointhecreek
02-16-2008, 10:36 AM
The Broncos got outshot 19-7 and took some dumb penalties in the first period. They came out flat and chased the Warriors around their own zone most of the period Ern. I don't think the coaches message in the dressing room was about how well they were playing after the first period.

Good on the Broncos for earning a 2-1 lead after 20 but it was only from Yonkman's stellar play and some opportunistic offense and shaky Perricone play that the Broncos got that lead. The second period was much better (to those who were watching the game) where we created offense and took care of our own end very well (besides letting Grantham waltz through the defense).
Ya, I gotta agree here. Perricone had a terrible first period giving up 2 garbage goals on what, 5 or 6 shots? Broncos got out shot badly in the first. Levi seems to be playing well other then a few bad penalties at the wrong time, but I enjoy watching him lately. As for Eakins fight with Delaronde, I thought he did pretty well for a 16 year old. I would only give Delaronde the clown a slight edge in the fight. He didn't really connect on many of the punches he threw. And, wow, did Stamler ever lay a beat down on Sommers in that fight! Nice to see the guys stick up for Vause after a totally clean check. Don't understand how Vause got a 10 min misconduct.

On another note, some MJ fans there tonight but looked pretty well behaved. Some good natured ribbing going on between fans but just cheered loudly for their team. Got a kick out of the bronco fans, mostly kids, drowning them out every time they started.

dodywood4ever
02-16-2008, 12:54 PM

The best part of the Delaronde show boat bull**** he pulled was he very narrowly won the fight. Say what you want about Eakin but he did a great job in that tilt. Huge props to Smith as well. Hung in there and landed some solid bombs on one of the leagues best. Gotta love the poetic justice in that mini brawl. That Vause hit was enormous! And then a couple Warriors decide to puff up and show the 16 year old whats up and they both got OWNED. Tassone and Stamler were both starting lawnmowers for awhile there. Very entertaining game.

Anybody else recognize the Warrior fan with the toque and the goatee. Sure looked like former tough guy Kevin Mckay. Good to see he really panned out. :thumb:

skinnyhead
02-16-2008, 04:28 PM
This is in response to the Delaronde comments. Who knew maybe some words were exchanged on the ice between the two beforehand. There is no telling. Also if the kid didn't say anything to Delaronde and Delaronde just grabbed him and tried to start the fight i am embarrased, but i can't comment on it to much seeing as I have no clue what happened on the ice leading up to it

Flathead
02-16-2008, 04:48 PM
This is in response to the Delaronde comments. Who knew maybe some words were exchanged on the ice between the two beforehand. There is no telling. Also if the kid didn't say anything to Delaronde and Delaronde just grabbed him and tried to start the fight i am embarrased, but i can't comment on it to much seeing as I have no clue what happened on the ice leading up to it
Skinnyhead, is there anywhere that the Warrior fans are posting these days besides here? Not a whole bunch of action here or at the Warriors hotstove site, just curious. You should get some more Warrior fans posting over here if you can.

ointhecreek
02-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Delaronde challenge Eakin and in my book there is no excuse for a 6'1, 205 lb 20year old challenging a 16 year old rookie. The same with Sommers or Smith jumping an affiliate player who is only 16 from behind for a hard clean check. No class whatsoever. Can't take a clean check then you need a new sport, maybe figure skating. vc178

Scout
02-16-2008, 05:52 PM
It happened right across from where i was sitting. I don't know what was said but i saw Delorande hook Eakins skate and his head was facing Eakin and he was doing all the yapping. All Delorande had to do if he wanted a dance partner was to challenge Stamler or Dudas and they would have gladley went him. Even if Eakin did challenge Delorande, which from what i saw it was Delorande doing all the talking, A legit tough guy would have just ignored a rookie as if to say you haven't earned a go with me. Case in point was against Regina. A line brawl started and Eakin ended up paired with Elder. Elder being a true heaveyweight knew Eakin was a rookie and alot smaller and never really threw a punch but more or less just held on to him. Thats class from a fighter. This i believe was Eakins first fight and with the size of him that is why he is a skater and playmaker. The kid is the furthust thing from an agitator. Heck, he hardly even throws a check. The biggest thing was the way Delorande acted after the fight. Show a little class not act like a jackass and a world beater.

Scout

Hatguy
02-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Delaronde challenge Eakin and in my book there is no excuse for a 6'1, 205 lb 20year old challenging a 16 year old rookie. The same with Sommers or Smith jumping an affiliate player who is only 16 from behind for a hard clean check. No class whatsoever. Can't take a clean check then you need a new sport, maybe figure skating. vc178

Smith and Sommers are 16 as well. As for what happened, I really can't comment because I wasn't there, but it's possible something may have happened before that provoked Delaronde.

Fight Guy
02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
If I recall correctly, Delaronde is known to do stupid things. He, I believe, was involved in the mugging of Pym last weekend, and two years ago when Kamploops was in town, Petr Kalus laid a huge, clean hit on one of their players. Then the play continues, and Kalus is skating off, and out of no where, Delaronde turns away from the play and goes in to hammer him as he's stepping off the ice. Then a 7-7 line brawl ensued with Jordan Fuder (I think) ending up in Kamploops bench, lol. That's just against Regina.

Bran
02-16-2008, 11:56 PM
If I recall correctly, Delaronde is known to do stupid things. He, I believe, was involved in the mugging of Pym last weekend, and two years ago when Kamploops was in town, Petr Kalus laid a huge, clean hit on one of their players. Then the play continues, and Kalus is skating off, and out of no where, Delaronde turns away from the play and goes in to hammer him as he's stepping off the ice. Then a 7-7 line brawl ensued with Jordan Fuder (I think) ending up in Kamploops bench, lol. That's just against Regina.
Hah, yeah, that was Fuder. I don`t think he realized where he was until it was too late!

As for Delaronde, he`s a cheap, dirty player, and he always has been. Two years ago against Vancouver, he ran Slade near the end of the game and ended up with a penalty, killing any hope they had of a playoff spot. That would have been the same season as the Kalus incident. I think he spent most of his time in Regina on the bench or in the stands.

skinnyhead
02-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Skinnyhead, is there anywhere that the Warrior fans are posting these days besides here? Not a whole bunch of action here or at the Warriors hotstove site, just curious. You should get some more Warrior fans posting over here if you can.

Most of our fans are 55+ and don't know how to use a computer. That's the only excuse i can think of. I know i;m on here everyday but don't post much