PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Down Warriors In OT

Scout
02-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Last updated at 9:59 AM on 16/02/08

Broncos down Warriors on Stamler's OT winner
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos defeated the visiting Moose Jaw Warriors 4-3 on overage defenseman Bretton Stamler’s overtime goal, his fourth of the season, 1:01 into the extra frame.

The Broncos also got goals from Geordie Wudrick, Erik Felde, and David Stieler in the win.

Moose Jaw replied with goals from Neal Prokop, Ryley Grantham, and Terrance Delaronde.

Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman was outstanding in goal stopping 33 of 36 shots, including 18 saves in the first period, to improve to 26-18-0-5.

Moose Jaw’s Joey Perricone stopped 22 of 26 shots to drop to 23-13-5-6.

Overtime hero Bretton Stamler was not interested in talking about his goal following the game, instead he explained that he was impressed with the way his team handled adversity after surrendering a third period lead.

“That was really big. The thing that really impresses me the most is that we gave up the tying goal with about 10 minutes left and that can be really deflating for our group or any group for that matter. I talked previously a couple of games back that if you get down you have to battle back because there are going to be situations in the playoffs where you play a great game and you are going to be down. This is a similar situation where you are up and that is something that can really set you back mentally. I thought that we really responded big and got the winner in overtime and got some big efforts from the guys, especially when they scored that goal we battled back and that is really key going into the playoffs.”

Stamler pointed out the play of Yonkman in goal as well.

“He was really good. He was the player of the game for our team at least. Whenever you have a goalie that can make big saves it gives guys confidence with the puck that if they do make a mistake he is going to be there to back them up. That is really big when you are trying to create offense. If you are going to be a creative team, because we have so much talent, but there are going to be mistakes because we have so much talent and guys are trying to do stuff with the puck. We need to have a guy to backstop us and he did a great job tonight.”

Erik Felde was pleased with the Broncos’ fifth win in as many meetings with the Warriors.

“Yeah we have their number right now but it could have gone both ways tonight and all the games could have. We let them in the game tonight with a couple of stupid penalties but besides that we held our ground and came through in overtime.”

Felde, who has been playing defense lately in the absence of Michael Wilson, Jesse Dudas, and Spencer McAvoy, scored his first goal in seven games while retuning to the forward ranks.

“It feels great to help out the team up front by pulling off a rebound goal. It was also good helping out on D too, but scoring again it has been awhile and it is an amazing feeling to finally get on the scoresheet and help my team win.”

Felde also recognized the strong play of Yonkman.

“In the first period he kept us in the game big time with the amount of shots he saw on the powerplay and just overall five-on five. He came up huge in net all game. Without Yonks in net we would have lost the game and he should have got the first star for helping us win.”

Felde was also impressed with the way the Broncos handled the rough and tumble Warriors.

“Yeah physically I thought we handled things great. We stayed out of a lot of crap which helped us quite a bit. Our speed is a big quality of our team and I thought we used our speed for most of the night and stayed out of the physical aspect after the whistle. They can’t move too well so I think that by using our speed we intimidate their defense and the whole team as well as create our offense.”

With their fifth win in as many meetings with Moose Jaw, Swift Current improves to 34-21-0-5 to move three points ahead of Moose Jaw for eighth place and temporarily into a tie for fourth with the Medicine Hat Tigers in the Eastern Conference.

Moose Jaw drops to 30-17-5-6 and remains in eighth spot.