PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With The Mask?

TwoBits
02-17-2008, 07:59 PM
I was looking at Soundy's pictures of the Vancouver/PG game and Cyr is still wearing the white mask. What's up with that? Didn't he start wearing it before the trade deadline because his other mask was going out to get painted? How long does it take to paint a mask?

the flying moose
02-17-2008, 09:03 PM
We've been wondering that too but I just assumed he was going to get a new one painted when he figured out where and if he is playing next season. No sense in getting a helmet painted a certain theme when you only have a handful of games left.

TwoBits
02-17-2008, 09:45 PM
The thing is, they told him he'd get to design a new one before the beginning of this season. Then there was no word of it mentioned until before the trade deadline (or just after). And now, nothing.

If they had no intention of following through, they shouldn't have gotten his hopes up. And why take the mask to be painted in the first place if they weren't going to paint it.

I just see it as a big kick in the teeth. I know there aren't many games left, it's just the principle of the thing. It gets my dander up if they are cheaping out after he basically sacrificed his year to stay with the team.

Who knows how his year would have played out if he had requested a trade to a better team after last year's playoffs. Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda. I'm sure he doesn't share my sentiments.

the flying moose
02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I didn't realize the team was the one paying for the mask to get painted. If what you say is true then its disrespectful of the organization to do that. Not like Cyr would complain about it anyhow. The past two seasons I've been following the Cougars I've never heard him complain about anything.

PLAYER
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Depending on where he sent his masque to get it painted it can take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks.... (I gotta plug pro-masque out of New Ham. in the US .... they rock with custom design.) But Cougs could be messing with Real too which is totally not fair and he doesn't deserve it....

TwoBits
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I didn't realize the team was the one paying for the mask to get painted. If what you say is true then its disrespectful of the organization to do that. Not like Cyr would complain about it anyhow. The past two seasons I've been following the Cougars I've never heard him complain about anything.

He would never ever complain. Or say a negative word about anybody. It's not his style. And, I'm pretty sure the team pays to paint the mask because I think he was surprised that they would shell out the cash in his last year.

The only reason I care is because he was so happy this summer that he had free reign on the design, he didn't on the first one. I'm also disappointed because I couldn't wait to see what he designed.

Who knows, maybe I'm overreacting and the paint job just got held up.

PLAYER
02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Custom paint jobs can cost from 800 dollars to 1500 dollars depending on the complexity of the design... Maybe the PG brass changed their collective minds.... Real deserves it... he is a good team member.

TwoBits
02-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Custom paint jobs can cost from 800 dollars to 1500 dollars depending on the complexity of the design... Maybe the PG brass changed their collective minds.... Real deserves it... he is a good team member.

I kinda think so too. :D

Gatekeeper
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Im pretty sure its not gonna happen. Think about it, why would you wear a white mask and get an already painted mask painted again. You send away the new white one to get painted and wear your old mask until its done.

the flying moose
02-26-2008, 12:57 AM
they said on the radio during the last game that it took a very long time for the mask to arrive and when it did arrive it was too late to get it painted for this season.

TwoBits
02-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Im pretty sure its not gonna happen. Think about it, why would you wear a white mask and get an already painted mask painted again. You send away the new white one to get painted and wear your old mask until its done.

So why would he have started wearing a white mask then? Maybe his old one is cracked. :confused: They said in January he was wearing the white one while the new mask is being painted and now, they don't have the mask. Whatever :spineyes: , personally, I think he's getting shafted.

Teacher
02-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Real could be in Portland and having to buy his own sticks. Stop thinking the worst about the organization. Paint jobs take time, especially if the painter is backed up with other work. There is no way I can believe that the team would shaft Real. They have shown huge faith in him all year even though he has struggled. Respect, to me, seems to be going both ways in their relationship

TwoBits
02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Real could be in Portland and having to buy his own sticks. Stop thinking the worst about the organization. Paint jobs take time, especially if the painter is backed up with other work. There is no way I can believe that the team would shaft Real. They have shown huge faith in him all year even though he has struggled. Respect, to me, seems to be going both ways in their relationship

Oh, I don't dispute this fact at all, especially in how well the organization has treated Real in the past week and the lengths they went through to get him home.

The mask thing though, is a bone of contention because I think it is something that could have been looming in the back of Real's mind. The mask not being painted at the beginning of the season could have left some room for doubt in his mind as to their commitment to him.

It may be nothing, and circumstances may have had everything to do with it, it just bothers me, that's all.

Gatekeeper
02-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Ok heres how it works. Every team gets 2 new masks for their goalies every year. So the team would of had a brand new mask for him at the start of the year. From the sounds of it he had a design set and ready to go so the team would just have to send the mask out to get painted. The fact that hes wearing a new white mask would lead me to believe that no paint job is being done since he is wearing the new mask. Also it doesnt make sense to have a mask painted now with only what 10 or so games left this season.

TwoBits
02-26-2008, 08:19 PM
So his original painted mask must have gotten cracked or something, otherwise, why wouldn't he just be wearing the original?

I don't expect the team to paint the mask for 10 games, I just couldn't understand why the new design wasn't done at the beginning of the season and why they said they were painting a mask and it never materialized.

Thanks for the explanation.

I hate this smilie but I need to use it. vci33