PDA

View Full Version : What....Hunt??????

dbg
02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
what the heck Hunt got a kneeing major!!! thats not like him, wonder if he is under some pressure or stress and isn't himself right now!!!!! lets hope he clears it up sometime soon so he can get back to his old self and back to playing some hockey, in the near future.

604flames
02-17-2008, 11:13 PM
They called it a tripping major in the building, thought it was more of a charge myself.. Good thing for the Chilliwack player that it didn't really connect.

Giantsfan
02-17-2008, 11:18 PM
I also thought it was more of a charge as well. If it was any other player on the Gmen, it wouldn't have been a major. BS call & now Garet will more than likely be suspended for I would guess a minimum of 3 games. Too bad because a Hunt-Sonne fight was a lock Wednesday.

N.W. Bruin
02-17-2008, 11:26 PM
As in the first intermission they said kneeing. I figure Giants will be without him for a couple games minimum.

dondo
02-18-2008, 12:08 AM
the first penalty he got was a tripping penalty the open-ice knee was about a quintessential knee as you can get.

I sincerely hope he was expecting the player to dodge and that's how it happened, because right now I am pretty peeved off at Garet for a very stupid, very selfish play that gained exactly zero and could have him out of the line-up for more than a game or two -- he's already on the league's radar and this will not help in the least.

Had he made that hit clean and full-on (as he could have imo) it would have been brilliant, but to hang out his knee like that .. I am very disappointed and I have sadly lost a bit of respect for Garet if this turns out to be deliberate, because he usually is not that kind of player.

and folks he fully deserved the major penalty and game for that hit and it saddens me greatly, there is no defense for what I saw.

dbg
02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
dondo full respect for you buddy!!! first person to ever admit fualt on behave of Garret. I think alot of people were talking trash about garet on these forums because it was just amusing listening and watching all the giants fans try and defend him, when they and everyone else in the league knew he was a dirty and classless player. nice to see one of their own see his darker side!

dondo
02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
well I was one them and I still don't think he's a dirty player, but now I have to reassess how I am currently feeling because that hit was not good. Every now and again stuff just happens but that appeared to be more or less deliberate which really makes no sense. :skeptical

I would still not say that I feel he's a dirty or classless player though --

rinkrat
02-18-2008, 04:11 PM
it was just amusing listening and watching all the giants fans try and defend him
And yet,he was a huge fan favourite for your beloved Chilliwack Chiefs. :spineyes:

dbg
02-18-2008, 07:46 PM
fan favorite???? were you ever at a chiefs game. not a fan favorite at all, he did not have the respect of any of the avid chief fans. may have been a favorite amongst the 18-22 drunken age group at the games but not the true hockey fan.

GiantDave
02-18-2008, 09:19 PM
The hit Hunt put on the Chilliwack player at most was a 2 minute minor... (the hit occured right in front of where i sit)... Had the Chilliwack player not turned at the last second it would have been a huge open ice hit. Having said that the Chilliwack player turned and it became more of a knee on knee hit

Having said that based on Hunt's reputation I could see a suspension coming out of this... (a game or two)

TPHockey
02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Your post shows that you were either crazy or drunk. If you could clearly see you would have seen that it wasn't even Prince George playing and that you didn't think Hunt stuck out his knee to hurt the Chilliwack player. If Hay doesn't get Hunt under control he is going to cost you guys some games. He is getting crazier and crazier.

sman111
02-18-2008, 10:32 PM
i just wanna say that I think it was a pretty stupid play on Hunts behalf, the hit may or may not of been worth the penalty that he got, but he should know by now that he is a marked man out there and anytime he slightly crosses over the line he is gonna get nailed for. I have noticed though that ever since he returned from his suspension earlier in the season he has been making alot of bad decissions out there and now they are starting to hurt the team with having to kill of needless penalties and him being out of the lineup. he really needs to get his stuff together for the playoffs and finish his career in the WHL up strong.

GiantDave
02-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Your post shows that you were either crazy or drunk. If you could clearly see you would have seen that it wasn't even Prince George playing and that you didn't think Hunt stuck out his knee to hurt the Chilliwack player. If Hay doesn't get Hunt under control he is going to cost you guys some games. He is getting crazier and crazier.

Well I don't drink... and I am part crazy... I think what happend was the player Hunt hit (chris vanduyhoven) played the majority of his career for PG and I forgot at the time I was writing the post he got dealt to Chilliwack.

My bad.

old_time_hockey
02-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Food for thought....

That was only the 2nd major this season that Hunt has taken that wasn't a fighting major.

So all the people who say Hunt is dirty don't know *** they are talking about.

604flames
02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
That was only the 2nd major this season that Hunt has taken that wasn't a fighting major.
Not to play devil's advocate, but wasn't the other one that elbow on Bud Holloway?

old_time_hockey
02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Well that is up for debate as well since it was the hit that no one saw, and was debated. Much the same way that Repik was leveled with a hit to the head away from the play but nothing comes of it.

My point is people think that Hunt is the most dirty player in the WHL...or at least the west. I submit that if we are looking WHL wide, JD Watt gets the nod. His stick work, hits from behind and elbows. And in just the west, it goes to Kyle Beach. Hacks someone then hides behind the linesman, turtles from a fight that he starts...need I go on?

TwoBits
02-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Well I don't drink... and I am part crazy... I think what happend was the player Hunt hit (chris vanduyhoven) played the majority of his career for PG and I forgot at the time I was writing the post he got dealt to Chilliwack.

My bad.

Maybe you were thinking about the kneeing penalty Hunt got against PG the other night, which led to the Magnusson debacle, combined with the other player being an old Cougar. Easy mistake I'd say.

604flames
02-19-2008, 12:10 AM
My point is people think that Hunt is the most dirty player in the WHL...or at least the west. I submit that if we are looking WHL wide, JD Watt gets the nod. His stick work, hits from behind and elbows. And in just the west, it goes to Kyle Beach. Hacks someone then hides behind the linesman, turtles from a fight that he starts...need I go on?
I'm not disputing your opinion on Hunt at all, I just think he tends to play with a lot more of a chip on his shoulder than a lot of other guys in the league.

I'm glad Watt's not a Giant anymore, talk about a guy that Giants fans had to defend! And re: Beach, Crowley et al: I sit in W, but didn't really see the hit (was following the play), so I can't really debate whether it was dirty or not, but I can't wait until March 8!

Kassian
02-19-2008, 12:44 AM

My bad.

I'm not trying to be an ass but the hit was actually on Matt Strong.

Kassian
02-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Not to play devil's advocate, but wasn't the other one that elbow on Bud Holloway?

It was technically a charging major. But the penalty and especially the suspension was complete overkill. Was the hit a penalty? Absolutely. Worthy of a major? Not in my opinion but that's what he got. Either way 7 games was a ridiculous suspension. It was worth maybe 2 at the most.

A lot of people mistake Hunt as "dirty" or "cheap" because he plays very aggressive. There is a big difference between the two. I made this comment before in the past and I'll be saying it again. To me a cheap player is the type of player that goes out on the ice trying to play a tough game, running guys from behind, using his stick to slash, or spear players and ultimately turtling or not wanting to back up his actions with his fists. Hunt is nothing like that at all. If he does something questionable he's always willing to answer the bell. You never see him run away from someone issuing a challenge. And if he does it's a very rare occasion and probably for a specific reason (sore hand, facial injury or coaches orders not to fight).

Hunt isn't any angel but neither is any hockey player with that type of role. You have to play hard and play physical and sometimes incidents occur because of it. That doesn't necessarily mean a player is "dirty" because of that.

old_time_hockey
02-19-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm glad Watt's not a Giant anymore, talk about a guy that Giants fans had to defend! And re: Beach, Crowley et al: I sit in W, but didn't really see the hit (was following the play), so I can't really debate whether it was dirty or not, but I can't wait until March 8!

Nothing really happened on the 2nd when a bunch of us were down there. I think there was a chance for RJ to tag him. And I think that was the same shift where RJ tried to get at Beach but he ran and hid.

dondo
02-19-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm glad Watt's not a Giant anymore, talk about a guy that Giants fans had to defend!

we defended Watt? LOL -- I think we just sighed and chalked it up to Bad JD .. :laugh:

dj-kris
02-19-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm not trying to be an ass but the hit was actually on Matt Strong.
yup indeed it was strong

Giantsfan
02-19-2008, 10:19 AM
The hit Hunt put on the Chilliwack player at most was a 2 minute minor... (the hit occured right in front of where i sit)... Had the Chilliwack player not turned at the last second it would have been a huge open ice hit. Having said that the Chilliwack player turned and it became more of a knee on knee hit

Having said that based on Hunt's reputation I could see a suspension coming out of this... (a game or two)

That's pretty much how Don Hay summed it up. The guy saw Hunt at the last minute which resulted in Hunt hitting him knee on knee.

TPHockey
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh so I guess it was all Strong's fault. And if Don Hay says it, it must be true. I think your blinders are messing up your vision. Even if you do not think Hunt is a dirty player this was a dirty hockey play. Call a spade a spade.

Giantsfan
02-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm giving you what Don Hay said, suck it up if you don't like it. Don Hay did say that the Bruins started to play a tougher game once Hunt got the boot. What the Wack needs is a legit tough guy since Bhungal seems unable to stay in the lineup. McCue got tuned by Cloud earlier in the season, & was invisible in any of the games after that beating.

TPHockey
02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I agree Chilliwack needs a heavyweight. I have always thought that. PS not that I thought that McCue was anygood but one of the reasons he is invisible is that he was traded

Giantsfan
02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I know he was traded, but he was really physical in the first couple games, but when he took on Cloud & got pounded, it completely deflated the Bruins & rattled McCue's confidence.

dbg
02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
i think the problem most people have with hunt, is he has no class at all. He showed what he was truely about the last game he was in chilliwack for. Started off by peeking off to fans in the stands, telling some fans they are bald, and that they should be wearing a hat (sorry i had to bring that up!!!lol you know who you are). Insulting fans, where is the class in that, then with his team up by 4 or 5 goals almost takes a bruins defensemen's head off with an elbow within the last 2 minutes of the game. Now i am a huge fan of players getting under other players skin, i think its apart of the game and never want to see it leave the game, just do it with some class and respect for the others on the ice.

I didn't notice Hunt as much of an idiot last season and i have noticed a few giants fans say he is worse after his suspension, maybe he is, but for ANY fan to defend ALL of his actions you really need to give your head a shake. He has done ALOT of dissrespectful and classless acts this season, which is a shame casue now he will be remembered for that, rather then how hard of a worker he is, or his amazing recovery from his broken leg. Now i know you giants fans will disagree and think he will be remembered for his good, but don't start thinking you fans are the center of the universe and no one elses opinion matters casue it does.

And forget trying to bring other players names into this arguement, like beach and watt. Are they dirty, hell yes, dirtier then Hunt well thats another arguement. What we are saying here is that Hunt is a dirty player. Have we ever said he is the dirties player in the league? No. Have we saidthat he is the only dirty player in the league? No. Just saying that he is dirt, and sorry guys yes he is.

The only reason people comment on Hunt in these forums is to spur on fans that will never admit one of their own as a bad guy. If you can sit there and enjoy the stupid and classless acts he occiasonlly makes, i think you need to find a new league to support, cause those actions will never be tollerated in the Dub.

rinkrat
02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I agree Chilliwack needs a heavyweight. I have always thought that. PS not that I thought that McCue was anygood but one of the reasons he is invisible is that he was traded

Stoesz was a pretty tough customer. :thumb:

Giantsfan
02-19-2008, 09:38 PM
And forget trying to bring other players names into this arguement, like beach and watt.
The only reason people comment on Hunt in these forums is to spur on fans that will never admit one of their own as a bad guy. If you can sit there and enjoy the stupid and classless acts he occiasonlly makes, i think you need to find a new league to support, cause those actions will never be tollerated in the Dub.

Too bad, I am going to bring the names of Watt & Beach into this debate.
Can't admit one of their own as a bad guy? People here criticized Watt to no end last season, so Giants fans do criticize one of their own. Some Giants fans on here didn't like what Hunt did so don't paint every Giants fan as having the same opinion. Every team in the WHL would love to have Garet Hunt on their team. Hunt & Beach are completely different players. Hunt will take on anyone, while Beach will take on the lesser guys while cheapshotting the tougher guys while hiding behind the officials. Hunt is well liked by his teammates, can you say the same about Beach?

Kassian
02-20-2008, 12:29 AM
i think the problem most people have with hunt, is he has no class at all. He showed what he was truely about the last game he was in chilliwack for. Started off by peeking off to fans in the stands, telling some fans they are bald, and that they should be wearing a hat (sorry i had to bring that up!!!lol you know who you are).

And let me guess....the fans behind the penalty box did absolutely nothing to provoke that alleged incident? :rolleyes:

It takes two to tango. And I highly doubt Hunt just decided to do that for the hell of it.

Insulting fans, where is the class in that, then with his team up by 4 or 5 goals almost takes a bruins defensemen's head off with an elbow within the last 2 minutes of the game. Now i am a huge fan of players getting under other players skin, i think its apart of the game and never want to see it leave the game, just do it with some class and respect for the others on the ice.

Any player that plays a hard nosed physical game is going to do something questionable at some point. That's just the reality like it or not. When you play a physical game occasionally your hands will come up high during a hit. Or your elbow will come up high while trying to make a hit. Sometimes it's intentional (whether it's frustration or something else) and other times it just happens in the heat of the moment.

Either way it's pretty clear you aren't going to agree with anything we are saying. Hunt is not a dirty player in my mind because he is willing to back it up against anybody. That doesn't mean I'm claiming he doesn't occasionally do something questionable (like throw an elbow, cross check another player, throw gloved punches, etc) but all in all I don't consider him a dirty player at all. I've already explained what type of player I consider dirty. A perfect example would be someone like that punk on the Canucks, Matt Cooke.

Monster
02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Hunt is not a dirty player in my mind because he is willing to back it up against anybody. That doesn't mean I'm claiming he doesn't occasionally do something questionable (like throw an elbow, cross check another player, throw gloved punches, etc) but all in all I don't consider him a dirty player at all. I've already explained what type of player I consider dirty. A perfect example would be someone like that punk on the Canucks, Matt Cooke.

So what you are saying is that you can slash, knee, elbow, hit from behind or basically deliberately hurt someone if you are willing to back it up and you are not a dirty player??????? vc124

Kassian
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
So what you are saying is that you can slash, knee, elbow, hit from behind or basically deliberately hurt someone if you are willing to back it up and you are not a dirty player??????? vc124

Not exactly. Of course if you are a player that plays like that all the time it's probably safe to assume you are a dirty player. However most players that play like that refuse to back it up. They take the easy way out by talking a tough game but not backing it up. There are way too many players like that in the game today.

As far as I'm concerned if a player is willing to answer the bell or face the consequences of his actions he earns a lot more respect in my books. And Hunt does that a lot more than many players out there that I consider dirty. Ultimately I don't see Hunt as the type of player you described above. Every player at some point will slash, knee, elbow or hit another player from behind. Even star players or players not known for their physical play. It's a contact sport, it happens. Obviously some people just have a different interpretation of what a dirty player is.

604flames
02-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Hunt gets a 2-game suspension per whl.ca

dbg
02-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Kassian, you saying its a contact sport and it happens, shows the lack of respect you have towards the fellow players out on the ice. The Knee in question was obviously a Knee. even the sports caster on global news said it was a nasty act. (now does that mean it was, no, but when they go on record to say something like that it usually does!) so saying that its a contact sport and a purposely kneeing by one player will "happen" you need to go and find a new bush league to cheer for!!!

And saying that if a player backs up his "dirty" actions it doesn't make him dirty??? Now do me a favor and sit back and think about that comment then give a reply, cause if you think that makes any sense whats soever you need to give your head a shake.

Kassian
02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Kassian, you saying its a contact sport and it happens, shows the lack of respect you have towards the fellow players out on the ice.

No it doesn't. It's just the reality of the matter. I'm being realistic you obviously aren't.

The Knee in question was obviously a Knee. even the sports caster on global news said it was a nasty act. (now does that mean it was, no, but when they go on record to say something like that it usually does!)

Not necessarily. Most of the people with that kind of job are idiots. I wouldn't take anything they say too seriously. That being said it was a knee there's no question about that. I never once said it wasn't.

so saying that its a contact sport and a purposely kneeing by one player will "happen" you need to go and find a new bush league to cheer for!!!

Why don't you go watch European hockey if you don't want to see physical contact. :spineyes:

And saying that if a player backs up his "dirty" actions it doesn't make him dirty??? Now do me a favor and sit back and think about that comment then give a reply, cause if you think that makes any sense whats soever you need to give your head a shake.

It does make sense. It doesn't mean that a player can't be dirty IF he is willing to back it up. But typically the real dirty players the agitator types are the kind of players that constantly yap, use their sticks and run away or turtle when push comes to shove. Whether you like Garet Hunt or not he isn't that type of player. End of story.

dondo
02-21-2008, 02:21 AM
i think the problem most people have with hunt, is he has no class at all.

the most idiotic statement ever -- first of all being a newbie you should know that when someone actually takes the high road and admits their player might not have made a clean hit .. the thing to do is not been a dick about it and go on and on and on and on vci33 < does this look familiar/ .. about crap that you really have no clue about.

seriously -- you have no clue - so crawl back into whatever chat room you came from and don't come back unless you want to be civil and discuss -- for all this kind of post indicates is that you are in fact the troll you were pretending not to be.