PDA

View Full Version : Ice 3 @ Broncos 4 OT

Big Ern
02-20-2008, 11:33 PM
A few quick notes tonight:

-WHAT A GAME!!!! That was one of the best games of the season...the fans got every penny out of it.

-Our guys were flying from the gates...Erik Felde was flying, Levi Nelson was flying...they threw everything but the kitchen sink at Lazaruk in that first period and ended up empty handed at the end of 20. However, if you keep chipping and stick with the plan, success will come in this game. The Broncos did exactly that and managed to score three unanswered to take a lead in the third. Geordie Wudrick was among the best players as well, with one goal and one assist....and Matt Tassone also deserves kudos for his play.

-how about the 3-2 goal by DUDAS???!!!! One of the prettiest goals to date this season! That brought fans to their feet, and got non-hockey people cheering. lol And if that goal is left out of www.whl.ca's "Plays of the Week" feature, I dunno. I'll be pissed. Hopefully they add this one...it's worthy.

-on defense, Doyle, Claffey, and Stamler had stellar games.

-things tonight that were not-so-nice, included the first goal allowed by Yonks, (even though he bounced back to have a pretty solid rest of the game) at times the play in our own zone was endless...we've seen this quite a bit this year...some of our guys on defense have to learn a few things. That's fine...new things are learned every single game.

-the OT winner was a labelled shot, and almost IDENTICAL to Stamler's OT winner last Friday versus Moose Jaw by Bretton Stamler. Tonight, the hero was Erik Felde, and it was only fitting. Again, Felds was flying tonight.

EXTRAS:

-the officiating in this game semed to be loved by all....for a while, everything was let go. I exploded in anger at the Felde call which gave the Ice momentum to eventually tie the game at three, but afterwards I thought about the entire game, and the officials were pretty darn good. Can't complain about this style of officiating.

-great Wednesday crowd at 2294. WOW. Fans have sure stepped up to the plate this season! Thanks for coming out!!! :)

-Dean Chynoweth is having success versus Brother Jeff this season. That's great to see. lol

-I got the ole' car looked at yesterday morning for it's bumps and bruises sustained in the P.A. mishap. It turns out I saved money by being stupid and NOT calling a tow truck, if you can believe that. A tow would have cost $300 or so...to get the car back on the road intact. The part that was wrecked by having a passer-by pull it, is worth like $50. Turns out the bill to fix it will be around $200. WOW. Surprise. Good luck my way...ONCE. lol

-yes...the 3-2 winner scored by Iginla to win it in Dallas tonight with 2:30 to go in the game, stung. Kujo was good in goal. The Stars had an extremely rare Wednesday night problem. I'm happy with the position though.....only ten points back of the Red Wings....second best in the league. Gotta be good. ;)

-FLATHEAD...I know you'll want to add your thoughts on that last note. haha Always interesting....;)

Scout
02-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Last updated at 11:08 PM on 20/02/08

Felde lifts Broncos over Ice in overtime
STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos began a six-game homestand with a 4-3 overtime win over the Kootenay Ice on Erik Felde’s overtime winner 2:33 into the extra frame.

After a overcoming a two-goal deficit to lead 3-2 on Jesse Dudas’ highlight reel go-ahead goal, the Broncos surrendered the lead on Ice captain Steve DaSilva’s team leading 32nd goal of the season.

Felde clinched the game with his third goal in as many games to give him 23 on the season.

After Andrew Bailey and Matt Fraser scored to give the Ice a 2-0 lead Geordie Wudrick opened the scoring for the Broncos late in the second period to cut the Ice lead to 2-1. Wudrick’s spinning shot that beat Kris Lasaruk gives him 18 goals to match the number he wears on his jersey.

Forward Matt Tassone scored an impressive shorthanded goal to tie the contest 46 seconds into the final frame after missing Saturday’s game in Prince Albert due to injury.

Tassone, 18, explained that it was a character win for the Broncos.

“It was really good. They got the two quick goals that set us back a little bit. But we got a boost from Geordie’s goal there at the end of the period and that got us going it looked like. I got the second one and we just came through in the end.”

Tassone also commented on his highlight reel shorthanded marker to tie the contest 2-2.

I saw the D there on the point fumble with the puck so I thought I would force him. It went past him so I caught up with my stick and I saw Geordie had already skated in behind me so I just protected the puck and then put the puck between my legs to pass it to him. He tried to get a shot off and it came right on my stick and I just popped it in.

Tassone now has 15 goals in 53 games. Tassone has yet to score on the powerplay but has three shorthanded goals on his resume.

“I like the PK, sometimes powerplays are not expecting how much I force the play. I would like get a couple of powerplay goals obviously, but I will just keep putting them in on the PK, that is just as good.”

Tassone admitted that the team stayed calm after surrendering a late 3-2 lead.

“When I saw Jesse’s goal that was just amazing, with dangles everywhere. Then they got that quick one right after that. We stayed calm and cool and we came out in OT just going and Felde took a nice shot and scored.”

Tassone agreed that the Broncos recent ability to win in overtime and shootouts is a sign of the team’s growth.

“At the beginning of the year we were struggling in OT and in shootouts. In the second half everybody wants to go into OT and get the two points and not settle for the single point. Everyone was going out there and it was good to see.”

Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman stopped 34 of 37 shots to collect his 27th win of the season.

Ice goaltender Kris Lazaruk turned aside 37 of 41 shots in falling to 21-15-2-1.

Kootenay appeared in their league second highest 17th overtime game of the season, with the Ice falling to 10-6-2. Swift Current picked up their tenth win in overtime to go along with five shootout losses.

The win pushed Swift Current to within two points of fourth place Kootenay, who currently hold down the final home playoff birth in the Eastern Conference. Kootenay remains fourth in the Eastern Conference at 35-20-5-2, while Swift Current improves to 35-22-0-5.

Chuckles
02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I just wanted to say that i thought that game was awesome tonite had a playoff like atmosphere.. it was awesome to get the win. Just keep on rolling there boys, and hope we can take it to those kittens tonite.. I just also want to say i think it was great to almost see our hole line up back.. minus Jan and Dale, but its was great to see wilson back... man that boy is good :) he had a heck of a game. I think we definetly missed the first pass out of our end with him. :)

Flathead
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Last updated at 11:08 PM on 20/02/08

Felde lifts Broncos over Ice in overtime
STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos began a six-game homestand with a 4-3 overtime win over the Kootenay Ice on Erik Felde’s overtime winner 2:33 into the extra frame.

After a overcoming a two-goal deficit to lead 3-2 on Jesse Dudas’ highlight reel go-ahead goal, the Broncos surrendered the lead on Ice captain Steve DaSilva’s team leading 32nd goal of the season.

Felde clinched the game with his third goal in as many games to give him 23 on the season.

After Andrew Bailey and Matt Fraser scored to give the Ice a 2-0 lead Geordie Wudrick opened the scoring for the Broncos late in the second period to cut the Ice lead to 2-1. Wudrick’s spinning shot that beat Kris Lasaruk gives him 18 goals to match the number he wears on his jersey.

Forward Matt Tassone scored an impressive shorthanded goal to tie the contest 46 seconds into the final frame after missing Saturday’s game in Prince Albert due to injury.

Tassone, 18, explained that it was a character win for the Broncos.

“It was really good. They got the two quick goals that set us back a little bit. But we got a boost from Geordie’s goal there at the end of the period and that got us going it looked like. I got the second one and we just came through in the end.”

Tassone also commented on his highlight reel shorthanded marker to tie the contest 2-2.

I saw the D there on the point fumble with the puck so I thought I would force him. It went past him so I caught up with my stick and I saw Geordie had already skated in behind me so I just protected the puck and then put the puck between my legs to pass it to him. He tried to get a shot off and it came right on my stick and I just popped it in.

Tassone now has 15 goals in 53 games. Tassone has yet to score on the powerplay but has three shorthanded goals on his resume.

“I like the PK, sometimes powerplays are not expecting how much I force the play. I would like get a couple of powerplay goals obviously, but I will just keep putting them in on the PK, that is just as good.”

Tassone admitted that the team stayed calm after surrendering a late 3-2 lead.

“When I saw Jesse’s goal that was just amazing, with dangles everywhere. Then they got that quick one right after that. We stayed calm and cool and we came out in OT just going and Felde took a nice shot and scored.”

Tassone agreed that the Broncos recent ability to win in overtime and shootouts is a sign of the team’s growth.

“At the beginning of the year we were struggling in OT and in shootouts. In the second half everybody wants to go into OT and get the two points and not settle for the single point. Everyone was going out there and it was good to see.”

Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman stopped 34 of 37 shots to collect his 27th win of the season.

Ice goaltender Kris Lazaruk turned aside 37 of 41 shots in falling to 21-15-2-1.

Kootenay appeared in their league second highest 17th overtime game of the season, with the Ice falling to 10-6-2. Swift Current picked up their tenth win in overtime to go along with five shootout losses.

The win pushed Swift Current to within two points of fourth place Kootenay, who currently hold down the final home playoff birth in the Eastern Conference. Kootenay remains fourth in the Eastern Conference at 35-20-5-2, while Swift Current improves to 35-22-0-5.
Ern, Canucks are getting healthy, Luongo is returning to form and they've won three in a row. They will be in the playoffs and probally knock out the Stars again.