PDA

View Full Version : heard an interesting rumor today

charlie
02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
i'm obviously not around much so i don't know if this is a bit old...but it might stir some discussion. i've heard that the rebels may and i stress MAY be for sale.

it makes sense in some ways. the owner is not likely to be around for some time as it looks like the NHL part of his coaching career is doing well. his son will likely be finished as a rebel before the trade deadline next year. he bought the team for i believe 2.3 million and could possibly get as much as 7 million now. the team (despite what some fans believe) needs a complete reworking both on the ice and off and that will take some hands on work by knowledgeable hockey people and nobody will work as hard and as smart as owners of the team.

anyway, any comments???

frontrow fan
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
If that does happen...and we get new owners...What does anyone see happening? what changes would we be in for??

dubnut
02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
My head is spinning...read on another forum that Portland is in serious trouble, kids buying their own sticks, team not paying for medical treatment and WHL commissioner is in Florida dealing with this situation. Then I drop in here and you're talking that the Rebels are for sale! Wow!! Does nothing ever stay the same?

RebelFamily
02-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I to have heard that rumour before like last season, but Brent's Family is working for the team in off ice roles and enjoy their jobs. His son is learning the front office roles. So I would say they are not for sale.

JustMe
02-23-2008, 03:42 PM
i'm obviously not around much so i don't know if this is a bit old...but it might stir some discussion. i've heard that the rebels may and i stress MAY be for sale.

it makes sense in some ways. the owner is not likely to be around for some time as it looks like the NHL part of his coaching career is doing well. his son will likely be finished as a rebel before the trade deadline next year. he bought the team for i believe 2.3 million and could possibly get as much as 7 million now. the team (despite what some fans believe) needs a complete reworking both on the ice and off and that will take some hands on work by knowledgeable hockey people and nobody will work as hard and as smart as owners of the team.

anyway, any comments???

Where there is SMOKE there is FIRE!!!!! Heard the same rumour last night!!!

SectionNDeserter
02-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I have heard the same rumor every season since about a year after they won the Memorial Cup. Though I think that if anyone offered up 7 million or more dollars, it probably wouldn't have been a hard decision at any point that he owned the team really. If it is true, hopefully it is another 'hockey person' that buys them.

FreddieFender
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
This is only what I have heard (not what I know for sure). The new owner will be Doug Quinn.

SectionNDeserter
02-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Doug Quinn is a good Red Deer boy with some hockey experience and would be a good fit, but what doesn't fit here is where Quinn would be obtaining what would have to be in excess of 5 million dollars in financing for this endeavor.

3rebels
02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
QUINN Pumps !!!!
And I remember he got a lump of cash from the accident that ended his NHL to-be Career. :D
clrkth .

WHL Rules
02-26-2008, 05:22 AM
How creditable is this rumor?
Is it on the "I heard Brent is going to become headcoach of the Calgary Flames - Brett Sutter is coming back as an OA" scale or has it more substance?

Not that I can't see it happening (and Quinn would be a good choice) but why would Sutter sell the franchise now, unless he needs the money (which I doubt) or that Merrick explicit told him that he has no further interest in the business of hockey.
It's a good capital asset, so why would he sell it now?

Tinner
02-26-2008, 06:26 AM
There are many reasons not to sell and only one to sell, and its money. As said before, I think the team will stay in the Sutter family as Merrick is being groomed to run it one day and should he not decide to go in that direction, Rich and Ron are still looking to own a franchise. Brett doesn't or shouldn't need the money but from an investment point of view, he's more than doubled his investment and thats hard to pass up on. What we don't know is what else is weighing in on the issue (if in fact the rumor is true). He could have other options available to him in the NHL that might require some shared capital on his behalf. As far as Quinn goes as being a potential buyer, he would not need to finance the purchase. He might be a good fit from the point of view that he could afford to buy the team, but he certainly wouldn't be able to or necessarily want to run the team on a day to day basis.

eye4aneye
02-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I thought this was the Sutter family job fund for all future Sutters to have a job...interesting thoughts though, perhaps this is the sutter family retirement fund??? I think it would be more interesting to see if the Rebels can come back with the SUtters still owning....that would truly be more interesting.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-26-2008, 03:34 PM
How creditable is this rumor?
Is it on the "I heard Brent is going to become headcoach of the Calgary Flames - Brett Sutter is coming back as an OA" scale or has it more substance?

Not that I can't see it happening (and Quinn would be a good choice) but why would Sutter sell the franchise now, unless he needs the money (which I doubt) or that Merrick explicit told him that he has no further interest in the business of hockey.
It's a good capital asset, so why would he sell it now?
MONEY MONEY MONEY

sbtatter
02-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Why would they keep the team after Brandon is done in the dub? Are there any more sons playing hockey that could make it to the dub?

SectionNDeserter
02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Why would they keep the team after Brandon is done in the dub? Are there any more sons playing hockey that could make it to the dub?I am pretty sure that he didn't buy the team with the sole intent of finding a place for his 7 or 8 year old son to play junior hockey when he became old enough. I am sure it had more to do with both making money and keeping a WHL team in the community that he calls home. That aside, his almost immediate success in New Jersey must be making it 'comfortable' for him there, and that could be what is fueling this rumor.

sbtatter
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I am pretty sure that he didn't buy the team with the sole intent of finding a place for his 7 or 8 year old son to play junior hockey when he became old enough. I am sure it had more to do with both making money and keeping a WHL team in the community that he calls home. That aside, his almost immediate success in New Jersey must be making it 'comfortable' for him there, and that could be what is fueling this rumor.
That's what I mean, unless the Rebels make hm a bunch of money, why would he keep them? I wonder what different dub teams make per year?

Red celtic
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Well it looks like we can put this rumor to bed. http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Rebels_not_for_sale.html Looks like Brent is staying put as the owner of this franchise.

Rebel66
03-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Some interesting quotes from Sutter in that article:

“There is absolutely no truth to (the hearsay). I don’t know where this started, probably on a chat line somewhere and then just snowballed. The bottom line is the team is not for sale."

Look at the power of WHLFANS! Looks like charlie started this snowball moving!

“When I purchased the team in 1999 I made a commitment to the community and to Central Alberta and I’m going to stand by it for the time being."

Time being? Not exactly a steadfast comment there. That says to me that he would sell the team when the time is right.

“People are probably speculating because I left Red Deer. But I’m in contact with people with the team on a daily basis and that franchise means everything to me.”

I could make a few comments regarding this statement but will leave it alone. Interesting to say the least though....

RebelsFan
03-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Brent was never leaving to coach in the NHL either until the time became right! I would guess when the time is right he will sell. This means when the offer is large enough, just like his NHL coaching job.

charlie
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
well, if brent says the team is not for sale at this time, i would have to respect that. i feel he has always shown a great deal of honesty and integrity. i do find it interesting however how far afield that rumour had/has gone. i guess the old adage time will tell...will tell.

cheers